uniqs
share rss forum feed

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

[Parts Check] Upgrade CPU on ASUS A53U-ES01 Laptop

A friend of mine has an ASUS laptop, model # A53U-ES01. He is looking to upgrade the processor on it, and I'm trying to help him with that.

I'm not able to find a lot of information from ASUS's page. When I search for the specific model, and click on the "Specifications" page, I get an error page. That kind of bothered me, so I went and downloaded Belarc Advisor. From that, I got the following information for the current CPU that is installed.

1000 megahertz AMD C-50
No memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

I have tried to figure out what kind of motherboard is in this unit, as knowing that would show me (hopefully) what CPU's are supported on it. However, I've not been able to figure that out either. Short of opening up the unit, which I am trying to avoid at this point, as that can be a pain with all the screws.

So, my question is, what are the upgrade options in regards to the CPU?

If more information is needed, let me know and I'll provide it.

Thanks,

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

It's incredibly difficult/next to impossible to upgrade a CPU on a laptop. Your friend bought a low-power, budget netbook that probably cannot be upgraded, given the small power unit and space/thermal constraints on the custom motherboard.

Tell your friend that the only components usually upgradeable on a laptop are the HDD and memory.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Thanks for the reply.

While I do know that upgrades of CPU's on laptops is a lot harder then on a normal desktop, I still find it hard to believe that the current motherboard in the laptop only supports this one CPU. Even if the upgrade is from 1.0 Ghz to 1.5 Ghz that would be an improvement for him.

--Brian

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Well, I'll let someone else assist. I don't want to be responsible for giving bad advice that results in frying the computer.

Just keep in mind what I mentioned--the power brick is likely sufficient to only power the computer in its current configuration (or with max ram), you may have to deal with thermal glue (as opposed to paste) in getting the current CPU off as well as tape or other parts not designed to be tampered with by the customer, a replacement CPU may be difficult/not cheap to obtain, and it may be BIOS-locked if you change the CPU out. I say "may" because I don't know one way or another--just things to consider as you go forward upgrading this computer.

A coworker of mine has a very similar Acer--I ended up swapping the 5400rpm HDD for an Intel 120 GB SSD. It sped it up, but the CPU is still a severe bottleneck. But he knows that, because the computer is a $300 walmart special.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb

Again, I thank you for the comments. Most of my hardware upgrades / builds have been on the Desktop / Tower side of things, so I'm not real good at the upgrade options for a laptop. I've replaced a few hard drives, memory, and swapped out wireless cards (all on Lenovo laptops), but that is about it.

I don't want the guy to fry his system either!

I just found it odd that I cannot find information like I could for a desktop motherboard, showing all the supported CPU's and Memory configurations. The reason I say that is I have an ASUS motherboard in my desktop (Model# M4A88T-M). I'm able to very easy find all the info I need on that motherboard (the location of all the major parts, where the memory slots are at, the CPU location, what the max ram is, the configuration options of the ram, the different types of CPU's that are supported, etc). So, since this is an ASUS laptop, I'm assuming that the motherboard in there is made by ASUS as well, so I figured similar documentation existed somewhere. I just cannot find it yet.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Laptops aren't really meant to be modified like that, regardless of who they are made by. I think Alienware at one point made a laptop with a removable GPU you could swap out, but the part was proprietary and you had to buy the new GPU from them.

Even ASUS is using special laptop parts in their branded laptops, and those parts are not meant to be user-serviceable.

You may have a hard time as it is modifying a desktop PC from a major vendor (Dell, HP, Asus, etc.) as many times they use non-standard (non-ATX) motherboards and PSUs. Oftentimes an upgrade will mean swapping out the measly 250w PSU that Dell included with the desktop, but the PSU chamber is not meant to fit a normally-sized PSU.

I say this to point out the difficulties of upgrading a proprietary desktop, and to show that doing equivalent surgery on a laptop is going to be several times harder.

It's for this reason I view laptops as a "what you see is what you get" package (with two exceptions for ram and HDD/SSD) and stick to my home-built desktop for DIY projects.
--

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
reply to plencnerb

I know you can upgrade CPU's on Dell Laptops.... I did.
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5

Socket is FT1 (BGA-413). TDP is 9 watts, anything over 9 watts may fry the netbook. The C-50 is top of the line "Ontario". Others that fit into this stocket are the "Zacate" and "Desna". The Desna is a lower-power-same-performance replacement to the Ontario. The "Zacate" offers a 1.6ghz dual core option, but it is 18 watts. It doesn't look promising.

Netbooks aren't made to be user-serviceable at all. The parts inside be the parts inside. Laptops are upgradable, netbooks are appliances. If you can upgrade your two slot toaster to a four slot, then upgrading a netbook than can be ruined may be a fun project.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

said by markofmayhem:

Socket is FT1 (BGA-413). TDP is 9 watts, anything over 9 watts may fry the netbook. The C-50 is top of the line "Ontario". Others that fit into this stocket are the "Zacate" and "Desna". The Desna is a lower-power-same-performance replacement to the Ontario. The "Zacate" offers a 1.6ghz dual core option, but it is 18 watts. It doesn't look promising.

This was the kind of answer I was looking for. Details about the actual socket and chip selection.

Of course, this tells me that my friend is stuck with the CPU that he has. That's not that big of a deal. I don't think he paid much (if anything) for the unit anyway. He just wanted to know what his options were as far as upgrades. I told him before I started my research that laptops are tricky when it comes to upgrades, so he may be stuck with what he has in regards to the CPU.

Looks like that is the case here.

Thanks for the help.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner