how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

buzzmag

join:2000-04-23
Philadelphia, PA

[Speed] Speed Increase - Not

Received an email from Comcast advising of a speed increase to my download and upload from 30Mbps/10Mbps to 50Mbps/20Mbps. Followed instructions, turn-off computer, unplug modem, plug modem back in and wait 30 seconds and turn computer back on. Speeds remained the same....30/10. I have an Arris TG862. Tried three times with no speed increase.

Please let me know what or where is causing the problem.

Any ideas?

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
It's not 50/20, it's 50/10.

Anyway, keep trying. Not everyone that has received the email has actually received the new speeds yet.

crawlernight

join:2012-08-14
reply to buzzmag
I don’t know whether the new internet speed will be available soon. My friend and some of my known people modified their internet speed. And still they have not got the new internet speed as promised by Comcast. Let just hope that the authorities at Comcast ensure that people get fast speed internet just like they wanted

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
reply to buzzmag
Don't use a wireless connection to test the higher speeds
--
- Bill

Beaverbob140

join:2011-08-26
united state
reply to buzzmag
If your arris has a battery in it just unplugging it wont make it pull a new bootfile also.

buzzmag

Philadelphia, PA

1 edit
"Remove the Battery".That's a thought. Guess I'll try that.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to buzzmag
Also try resetting using paper clip or pen. I have the Arristm722g emta. You reset by using a paper clip in the back of thr emta.
--
Caddy

buzzmag

Philadelphia, PA
Already tried that. No change.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to buzzmag
I can't believe Comcast is still telling customers to turn off or restart their computers, as if that has anything to do with Internet service. Even if most people didn't have routers, the most they'd have to do is renew their IPs.

Oedipus

said by ctggzg:

Even if most people didn't have routers, the most they'd have to do is renew their IPs.

Is that easier to explain than just restarting the computer?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to ctggzg
said by ctggzg:

the most they'd have to do is renew their IPs.

How does just renewing a WAN IP lease help a modem to pull a new config ? A modem must at a minimum be powercycled for that, and sometimes it must even be reset to factory defaults in order for it to re-learn all of its connection parameters.

PJackson5

@comcast.net
reply to buzzmag
said by buzzmag:

Received an email from Comcast advising of a speed increase to my download and upload from 30Mbps/10Mbps to 50Mbps/20Mbps. Followed instructions, turn-off computer, unplug modem, plug modem back in and wait 30 seconds and turn computer back on. Speeds remained the same....30/10. I have an Arris TG862. Tried three times with no speed increase.

Please let me know what or where is causing the problem.

Any ideas?

Comcast send me a letter like this 3 weeks ago but it didn't say that, they told me that Comcast was increasing there speed tiers and that i needed to go to a web site for them to ship a new D3 modem to me for their new speed tiers, I just got my modem yesterday and I'm getting 50Mbps Up / 10Mbps Down now so you may want to contact Comcast to tell them you have a modem that doesn't support there new D3 speeds.

P.S.
When I had my old Thomson DCM425 modem with DOCSIS 2.0 my speed tier I was only getting 16Mbps Up / 10Mbps Down and with power boost I was getting 22Mbps Up / 10Mbps Down, the DOCSIS 3.0 modem really helps out a lot so buzzmag you need to contact Comcast to tell then your not getting your new speed increase.

Oedipus

reply to buzzmag
He has an Arris TG862G gateway, which is a newer generation D3 device.

Unclepaul

@comcast.net
reply to Beaverbob140
There is no need to pull the power even. The boot files have not changed. The nodes will recognize the old boot file and adjust the speeds accordingly.

I even tried this myself by throwing a 50 mb boot file on my modem and it pulls 100/20. I go back to the old 25 blast, and it pulls 50/10

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
said by Unclepaul :

There is no need to pull the power even. The boot files have not changed.

Sorry but sometimes this is indeed necessary..

The nodes will recognize the old boot file and adjust the speeds accordingly.

Guess you mean the CMTS and not the "node" ?

I even tried this myself by throwing a 50 mb boot file on my modem and it pulls 100/20. I go back to the old 25 blast, and it pulls 50/10

As an end user, how do you manually do that ?

buzzmag

Philadelphia, PA
Speed still at approx 30Mbps.Tried various speed sites via wired and wi-fi with same results. Decided to do a rest with the battery removed but to my surprise, Comcast didn't install a battery in the TG862. Rest didn't help. So far, no increase via power-cycle or reset.

PJackson5

@comcast.net
said by buzzmag:

Speed still at approx 30Mbps.Tried various speed sites via wired and wi-fi with same results. Decided to do a rest with the battery removed but to my surprise, Comcast didn't install a battery in the TG862. Rest didn't help. So far, no increase via power-cycle or reset.

Have you tried a Hard Reset using the small button in the back of the modem, hold it down for 10 or 15 sec and release it that should work if it doesn't then tell Comcast.

»www.arrisi.com/support/documenta ··· d1-3.pdf

here's guide to that modem go to Troubleshooting and go down to page 48, click on Resetting the Router to Factory Defaults it should be in blue, after you clicked on that you should be on page 45 then start reading the guide about hard reset of your TG862G modem.

buzzmag

Philadelphia, PA
Tried everything including reseting factory defaults. Nothing worked.

Silly me. Just tried calling Comcast and spent 35 minutes of being told to power-cycle and reset which I've done at least five times with no speed imcrease. One service guy rebooted the modem but that didn't help. Transferred me to someone who tried to give me over to a fee based tech support line.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to buzzmag
Perhaps it is not yet actually available on your local system. Many times their *marketing* E-mails are not in sync with what is actually going on in the field..

buzzmag

Philadelphia, PA
Let's hope that's the case.

buzzmag

Philadelphia, PA
reply to EG
Almost three weeks and still no speed increase.

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:117
said by buzzmag:

Almost three weeks and still no speed increase.

Philadelphia was completed some time ago. I'd suggest having SteveTeow See Profile take a look.

Or post in the Direct Forum:

»Comcast Direct