Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to Ike1

Re: Fios SD - HD channel remapping

Ike1,

the 6416 is 160 GBs/ The "16" indicated the GBs of the HD.

Anyway,

I would implore you and/or your friends to upgrade your DVRs to 7000 series DVRs. Then they can use eSATA if they want. I say this because very soon, there will be more MPEG4 channels being added, and converted. If one does not have a 7000 series HD box, then you can not get these channels.

They already have done this with the MLB Extra Innings channels, as well as Spanish Package channels to start.

I do know that the Discovery Networks are in the process of switching their Satellites to MPEG4. The Animal Planet, and Science channel are MPEG4, and in September, Destination America, TLC, and the Discovery Channel itself will be switched over to MPEG4.

After they switch, for the people who still have 6000 series boxes, they will get a prompt on their TVs saying they need to upgrade to 7000 series HD boxes and DVRs.

I just thought you should know, before the day comes when one is surfing the TV and is like : WTF, I get Discovery Channel, but I can't tune to it because my box not MPEG4 etc.

Just a little heads up.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

Just because Discovery is changing to MPEG4 does not mean Verizon is converting those channels. You're getting ahead of yourself.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to webcobbler

Surfing the TV?? No need for that with a DVR.

shark2k

join:2008-06-01
West Orange, NJ
reply to comp

said by comp:

Right but is there a reason you would tune to a SD version of a channel instead of the HD. The whole point of the Direct TV feature was that if there was an HD Version of a channel, it would only map to that one and not the SD one

Yes. When I watch Family Guy on TBS I watch it on the SD channel because TBS decided that they will stretch 4:3 content to fit my screen, which I loathe. Let me decide that myself, don't do that for me.

-Shark2k

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

said by shark2k:

said by comp:

Right but is there a reason you would tune to a SD version of a channel instead of the HD. The whole point of the Direct TV feature was that if there was an HD Version of a channel, it would only map to that one and not the SD one

Yes. When I watch Family Guy on TBS I watch it on the SD channel because TBS decided that they will stretch 4:3 content to fit my screen, which I loathe. Let me decide that myself, don't do that for me.

-Shark2k

Couldn't agree more Shark2k as they've never shown a widescreen movie on 4:3 TV anamorphic save for the credits. It was pan-n-scan or letterboxed. Why not go status quo on HD?

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to comp

said by comp:

said by aaronwt:

I hate that DirecTV feature.

Really? it think that is one of the best

Could always be made an option. And perhaps hitting the c button could then bring you back to the SD version of the channel.

Ike1

join:2012-06-02
Newark, NJ
reply to webcobbler

said by webcobbler :

I would implore you and/or your friends to upgrade your DVRs to 7000 series DVRs. Then they can use eSATA if they want. I say this because very soon, there will be more MPEG4 channels being added, and converted. If one does not have a 7000 series HD box, then you can not get these channels.

They already have done this with the MLB Extra Innings channels, as well as Spanish Package channels to start.

Verizon is giving us BBC America HD in MPEG2, not MPEG4, so I think that shoots a pretty big hole in your MPEG4 speculation, unfortunately.

I agree with Matcarl. I'd love it if Verizon made more space by distributing more channels in MPEG4 but they're clearly not going to do that. Someone (claiming to be) from Verizon already said they're not switching any existing channels to MPEG4, not even those putrid useless .tv channels! Any channel that comes from satellite in MPEG4 is already being converted to MPEG2 by Verizon. (Isn't HBO native MPEG4?) And so will Discovery. Verizon doesn't want to deal with the flood of requests for new DVRs they'd get if they switched popular channels to MPEG4. (MLB Extra Innings and that Spanish package are not widely-watched so they can get away with it there.)

So, thanks for the advice, but I already have a 7232 (I got lucky with the installer). It's my friends who have 6416s. Never mind getting them to upgrade -- I was barely able to get some of them to let me fix the settings so that the SD channels would not be all insanely stretched out. One of them got Fios just a few months ago and they gave him a 6416. Either there was still a hard-drive shortage from the after-effects of floods in Thailand, or Verizon just doesn't care and would prefer to hand out crappy old equipment than to switch any popular channels to MPEG4 any time soon to make more space. I suspect the latter.

Anyway, more on topic, Shark2k makes an excellent point. Another show that looks idiotic in HD on a Turner channel is Charmed (a dumb show, IMO) which I stumbled across all stretched out on TNT HD the other day. The stretched-out visuals hurt my brain and made my eyeballs scream.

I guess anybody who likes that goofy show needs TNT SD.

fishacura

join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA
reply to aaronwt

Wow really? I would love it. Dumb to have to go through 100-199 to know you're seeing all the channels VZ offers in that range, then pick a channel and hit 'C' to see if it's in HD. If you go to the HD range (say 600-699 for arguments sake) some channels won't be there and you'd need to cycle through 100-199 anyway to see the SD only channels. Dumb!

--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

rv81

@verizon.net

Does anyone know if FIOS will be adding this feature in the near future?

Expand your moderator at work