uniqs
share rss forum feed

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to kickass69

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.4.402.265/10.3.183.23

Until Flash is written to be stable, this is going to be a weekly (or daily) chore to keeping it updated .
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I've said time and time again that when Adobe added sandboxing to Flash in the late 11.2 and 11.3 versions is when all these problems arose plus who knows what else they changed. While the idea is sound, all these issues are proving it's not worth it and they should remove it.

gugarci
Premium
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Boricua

said by Boricua:

Until Flash is written to be stable, this is going to be a weekly (or daily) chore to keeping it updated .

Not really. Do what I do, only update to a newer version if it contains security fixes. If your old version works well and the new version does not contain any security fixes DO NOT UPDATE!!!!! Until this past update I was still using 11.3.300.262 since the other 11.3 version were bug fixes only.
--
Desktop Win 7 x64 Emsisoft Anti Malware v6.6, Laptop Win 7 x64 & Desktop XP Pro Emsisoft Anti Malware v6.6 & Online Armor Premium v5.5, Netbook Win 7 Starter and Netbook XP Home Avast 7, MBAM and Hitman Pro used on-demand only.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

I guess also if you have a recent and not very old one..you could also pass up the security fixes since they now claim the following and sometimes it is hard to find new versions that work as well as the last one you currently have installed.

June 7, 2012

Overall, the Flash Player sandbox process has been a journey of incremental improvements with each step bringing end-users a more secure environment. We started by supporting Protected Mode within Internet Explorer, which enabled Flash Player to run as a low integrity process with limited write capabilities. From there, we worked with Google on building the Chrome sandbox, which converted Flash Player to using a more robust broker implementation. This release of Flash Player Protected Mode for Firefox on Windows takes the Chrome implementation one step further by changing Flash Player to run with job limits on the process. With Flash Player Protected Mode being based on the same technology as Adobe Reader X, we are confident that this implementation will be a significant barrier and help prevent exploits via Flash Player for Firefox users. Going forward, we plan to continue to build on this infrastructure with more sandbox projects, such as our upcoming release of Flash Player for Chrome Pepper. As we combine these efforts with other efforts, such as the background updater, we are making it increasingly more difficult for Flash Player to be targeted for malicious purposes.

»blogs.adobe.com/asset/2012/06/in···fox.html

Older info..
"Running the plugin in a sandbox, otherwise known as protected mode, will potentially reduce the seriousness of any code vulnerabilities by isolating it from the system.

'Sandboxing technology has proven very effective in protecting users by increasing the cost and complexity of authoring effective exploits,' said Peleus Uhley, senior security researcher for Adobe.

'For example, since its launch in November 2010, we have not seen a single successful exploit in the wild against Adobe Reader X. We hope to see similar results with the Flash Player sandbox for Firefox once the final version is released later this year.'

This usually applies to Firefox 4.0 or later versions running on Windows 7 or Vista."
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by Name Game:

'Sandboxing technology has proven very effective in protecting users by increasing the cost and complexity of authoring effective exploits,' said Peleus Uhley, senior security researcher for Adobe.

It looks like they (and BTW, many others too) become liking the new buzzword - "sandboxing". First, they (Adobe) started using different tricks to get to direct API calls, that allow modification (reading / writing) objects in computer (files, registry, etc). And then, when people discovered that those direct calls may do real harm to their systems, they (Adobe) started to talk about making a "protection layer" (sandbox), that presumably isolates system from those direct calls, made by their plugins / activeX components... See, how fun it is?

Why we see all this fuss now?

Because Adobe/Macromedia wants to have that direct access to everyone's computer. To control, to monitor, to do other similar stuff... Past several years they tried to foist their new service, that runs on the background, they silently put scheduled tasks, which may wake up and execute whatever they want, they silently request elevated privileges in IE, allowing to have access to your registry directly from web sites. And when some of those tricks become widely exploited by others (who knew that would happened, right? ) they issued new security patches again, and again, and again... And now they start covering their real intentions (having control over your computer) with the latest buzzword - "sandbox". Wouldn't it be better, if they cared just a bit about computer security and designed their plugins/activeX without those tricks in the first place? But I guess that's just a rhetorical question at this point. It's Adobe/Macromedia we're dealing with...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 edit
reply to kickass69

Thank you!
Gonna grab it now.

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA

1 recommendation

reply to kickass69

stupid question on using the installers from »www.adobe.com/products/flashplay···n3.html: do these installers include both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Flash Player?

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

Yes, there is only one installer, packing both 32 and 64 bit.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

said by sbconslt:

Yes, there is only one installer, packing both 32 and 64 bit.

quote:
Note: Beginning with 11.3, the universal 32-bit installer will include the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Flash Player.

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to kickass69

Thank you for advising us of this update and the links.

Also, thanks to siljaline See Profile for recommending I install over the top. I did on 3 computers and it all went well.

Sincerely, Libra

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

No problem, I made it a habit a long time ago back in the Windows 3.11/95 days to completely uninstall and install fresh new versions of programs. Seems like even today that mantra holds up alot of times.

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1

1 edit

edited..

somehow i got my wires crossed, thinking that this thread was about "firefox", not "flash player"..

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Libra

Your welcome for the commenting, Libra See Profile I missed you in the mélé

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

said by siljaline:

You're.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline

I had some real problems with the 11.x series on my system and had gone back to 10 to get videos to play reasonably. However, I bit the bullet and installed this latest version and they have obviously changed something that lets my system play videos correctly. Whatever was "fixed," I hope it stays that way with the next update.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

2 recommendations

reply to antdude

It's all the Français I speak, there will be some leakage, antdude See Profile

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to redwolfe_98

Click for full size
said by redwolfe_98:

edited..

somehow i got my wires crossed, thinking that this thread was about "firefox", not "flash player"..

Easy to get confused since firefox has had it's share of flashplayer crashes and hicups. and so many people run more different versions of firefox than ever before.

»Re: WTF!!! Adobe Flash installing unwanted programs
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to siljaline

said by siljaline:

It's all the Français I speak, there will be some leakage, antdude See Profile

In Vermont..that will cost you

»www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article···lls.html
--
Gladiator Security Forum
Expand your moderator at work

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Name Game

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.4.402.265/10.3.183.23

Us Québécois are a prime source of tourist dollars and more in New England, in general.

Vermonsters love us

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

And so does Myrtle Beach..thanks to all you that come down for the summer and keep us company

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to antdude

Click for full size
said by antdude:

said by siljaline:

You're.

Yo

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Name Game

Ah the Schnée Birds Bit too old an unilingual crowd for my tastes. Plus, I don't have a banger for the Carolinas.