how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fatpipe

join:2011-10-02
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

Regarding Taxes...Fees..and who knows what else?

/Begin Cranial Pressure Release Procedure
/Cranial Vascular Pressure decreasing slightly

Check out all these pesky fees and taxes I pay for TWC. I am simply discombobulated. The total is nearly $20!

08/01 Franchise Fee $3.30
08/01 State And Local Sales Tax - Video / HSD $7.31
08/01 FCC Regulatory Fee - Cable $.08
08/01 PEG Capital Fee $.71
08/01 State And Local Sales Tax $2.71
08/01 TX PUC Recovery Fee $.06
08/01 Municipal Right-of-way Fee $1.34
08/01 9-1-1 Fee $.50
08/01 Federal Excise Tax $.99
08/01 Texas Universal Service $1.36
08/01 9-1-1 Equalization Fee $.06
08/01 State Cost Recovery Fee $.80

/End Cranial Pressure Release Procedure
/Cranial Vascular Pressure rising...

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
said by fatpipe:

Check out all these pesky fees and taxes I pay for TWC. I am simply discombobulated. The total is nearly $20!

08/01 9-1-1 Fee $.50

Heh, and I thought all those smug Texans used to point to New York and California as high "tax and spend" states.

Seriously, this is worse than New York and resembles California's myriad fees and surcharges.

When your state and local politicians run for re-election claiming they never raised taxes (property, sales, income), this is the result. They simply conjure up a ridiculous series of revenue enhancers that get applied when you need a copy of a deed, file a lawsuit, pay your utility bill, or apply for a permit.

Breaking this down, the franchise fee is just Time Warner passing on what your local community demands from them -- it's effectively a tax.

So are the sales tax and excise tax.

Most of those other fees are either cost of doing business fees broken out on your bill or those imposed by the Universal Service Fund (FCC), Texas statewide anti-consumer video franchise law, 911 cost recovery statutes, etc. I would be surprised if the 911 money or the regulatory-associated fees actually went for those purposes. In many states they end up in the general revenue fund, which frankly means "down the rathole."
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

ssault

join:2007-01-21
Portland, ME

1 recommendation

reply to fatpipe
Pay your cable bill - your local government depends on it!

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to fatpipe
Looks like you've got triple play...my taxes and fees are significantly lower:

36¢ - State Cost Recovery Fee
$3.12 - State and Local Sales Tax - Video / HSD

Total: $3.48 on service that currently runs me $82.49 including modem rental (because I don't feel like buying an 8x4 D3 modem).

fatpipe

join:2011-10-02
Austin, TX
said by iansltx:

Looks like you've got triple play...my taxes and fees are significantly lower:

36¢ - State Cost Recovery Fee
$3.12 - State and Local Sales Tax - Video / HSD

Total: $3.48 on service that currently runs me $82.49 including modem rental (because I don't feel like buying an 8x4 D3 modem).

Yeah, I got the TV, digital phone, and Internet. Yes, I seem to be a glutton for punishment. I got RR extreme 30/5 so luckily I'm not charged the rental for the docsis3 modem. Small consolation, but I'll take anything I can get.

It would be interesting to see a nationwide compilation of the taxes and fees heaped upon cable subscribers. It would appear there are wide variances, but I would venture a guess the bottom line would average out in favor of the cable company/municipalities.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
$0 in taxes/fees/surcharges here, just $62.99 for plain 15/2 internet.

/M

WSHARK

@acsalaska.net
reply to fatpipe
said by fatpipe:

08/01 9-1-1 Fee $.50

You do realize those are all Texas/Federal Gov't Taxes right? Something TWC has 0 control over

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to mackey
said by mackey:

$0 in taxes/fees/surcharges here, just $62.99 for plain 15/2 internet.

/M

$52.99 without cable modem lease fee, taxes, etc. in my old home. Nice and simple!

With the new home with its $89.99 triple package promotion's first month, it was $129.39 (installations, fees, taxes, and credits). Sheesh. TV and phone services really add up. Ouch! I wonder how much it will be after a year! :P

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
reply to fatpipe
Wasn't the Federal Excise Tax done away with in 2006? At least as far as Telecom goes. Did Texas find a new way to collect it?

Two 911 fess what a load of bull.

skuv

@rr.com
reply to fatpipe
said by fatpipe:

but I would venture a guess the bottom line would average out in favor of the cable company/municipalities.

How would taxes average out in favor of the cable companies? They charge you the taxes because that is what they are being charged by the Feds, State, and municipalities. Cable companies aren't making money off of charging you taxes.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
said by skuv :

How would taxes average out in favor of the cable companies?

"Taxes" do not help them, but a number of the "fees" (such as "State Cost Recovery Fee") are nothing but hidden rate hikes. Why roll all the costs of doing business into the base price when you can advertise a lower price and jack it up later with a fee.

/M

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
""Taxes" do not help them, but a number of the "fees" (such as "State Cost Recovery Fee") are nothing but hidden rate hikes. Why roll all the costs of doing business into the base price when you can advertise a lower price and jack it up later with a fee."

Here is some information on this.

»collindemsnews.blogspot.com/2011···fee.html

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
The one fee that should be done away with if the funds are going into the cities general fund and not to pay for public access is the PEG fee. I hear about cities that put that into their general fund which is technically fraud as it is not going to where the cable co is federally mandated to send support to. Also the franchise fee is supposed to pay for local access so if they are getting a franchise fee and PEG fee they are double dipping and putting the franchise fee into the general fund and making the cable customers pay more for services that should be payed out of the franchise fee but instead they are paying towards the cities general fund.