vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

Need to wear foil hats near parking meters

In the claim, Barton asserts that radiation from the wireless signals emanating from the meters, which is similar to Wi-Fi Internet or cellular waves, is causing ringing in her ears, ear infections and tightness on the back, left side of her neck.

She is suing Santa Monica for $1.7 billion, plus another $1.7 million every month thereafter.

»www.smdp.com/resident-fi ··· ty-hall/

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

2 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

Hat won't work. She needs a full body suit

dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
Two comments:

1. This sort of thing is trivially amenable to double-blind testing, so it shouldn't be hard to get actual facts.

2. Even if the plaintiff is affected by this level of radiation, is the city required to take every single person onto account? (Might sound harsh, but round here, some traffic signals have flashing white xenon strobes attached - that probably does some epileptics no good at all).

coldmoon
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Fulton, NY

coldmoon

Premium Member

said by dave:

Two comments:

1. This sort of thing is trivially amenable to double-blind testing, so it shouldn't be hard to get actual facts.

2. Even if the plaintiff is affected by this level of radiation, is the city required to take every single person onto account? (Might sound harsh, but round here, some traffic signals have flashing white xenon strobes attached - that probably does some epileptics no good at all).

And does she experience the same symptoms if someone is using a cell phone/walkie-talkie/store theft prevention, etc near her?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to vaxvms

to vaxvms

The saddest thing about this is: THEY DONT HAVE TO USE THIS GARBAGE!!!! -- If they werent so fucking lazy now,they would send some round to read the meters,etc LIKE THEY USED TO!!!!!
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

8 recommendations

dave

Premium Member

Oh, just shut up.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to vaxvms

MVM

to vaxvms

Re: Need to wear foil hats near parking meters

Two words 'Santa Monica'.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to 19579823

to 19579823

Re:  

Dude. It's Parking Meters not Electric meters.

Dave
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

Yes well why do they have to send out RF??

They dont...........

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

AVD

Premium Member

Parking Spaces should be free in the first place.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

1 recommendation

Woody79_00 to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms

All i will say about this topic is this:

I am not saying Wi-Fi and Cell signals cause problems, but they "could be"

The fact is...until we get atleast 50 solid years of study on this subject (we get 50 years worth of Wifi Exposure to people within 20 feet of the transmitter) we will not now what the longterm effects are.

The same can be said about Wifi/Cell towers and bees...give me 50 years of behavior patterns of bees within 20 ft of a cell tower and then we can make some accurate claims one way or the other....this is not unreasonable....we should study and be cautious introducing new technology into the environment. This is especially true when it comes to these sorts of things because if we do something that destroys the ecosystem we as a race are as good as extinct. The consequence will be dire for everyone.

Again i was raised to never discredit someones claims until they have been investigated...we have no idea what long-term exposure to Wifi and the like will have on people....the technology hasn't been around long enough.

My grandpa told me about him painting with lead based paint, it was common back then, no one thought nothing of it. People who complained about lead based paint got ridiculed back in my grandpas time...come to find out later after longterm exposure that it does cause problems.

All i am saying is...don't pick a side on this topic until the research and facts have been presented...again until they show me 50 years of study on this topic everything else is useless...10 years even 20 years of study is not enough...it does not show longterm effects....WE should however begin pushing to see what the short terms effects are if any....especially on not only people but animals and other creatures as well. just my two cents.
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

1 recommendation

ctggzg to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD

Re:  

said by AVD:

And then you'd be the first one complaining when you can't get a space in a crowded area.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
said by AVD:

That might sound like a good idea but in practice parking fees do have a legit place.
e.g., I own a street front business with metered stalls facing it.
The meters are set to a 2hr max time.
It's the meters that produce a turnover of vacant stalls.
Without the meters, people would park all day long in those stalls, making customer access a real problem.
Factor in the other ~40 businesses along that street & you'd turn a viable business district into a waste land.
If you're talking about streets in residential areas, yeah, that's just not right IMO, but never having faced that situation there may be not so obvious reasons behind them too.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

you can put a 2 hour restriction on a spot without charging any money for it.

StuartMW
Premium Member

4 recommendations

StuartMW to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms

Some parking meters are just ridiculous

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD

Re:  

said by AVD:

you can put a 2 hour restriction on a spot without charging any money for it.

That system exists too.
There parking stalls labelled as loading zones, 30 minute maximum, no charge.
That system works well but only because delivery trucks have tight schedules that really don't allow for much more than a half hour for a single delivery.
If the parking stalls were put on an honor system it would fail.
It's the penalty of a parking ticket that keeps it honest.
As it is now, parking enforcement is subsidized by the tickets it issues. If it were tasked with manually timing how long a car is in any one stall it would become manageable without adding additional personnel.
I'd rather see the parking meters than a more bloated gov't with less income to pay for the gloat.

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos to Woody79_00

to Woody79_00

said by Woody79_00:

The fact is...until we get atleast 50 solid years of study on this subject (we get 50 years worth of Wifi Exposure to people within 20 feet of the transmitter) we will not now what the longterm effects are.

So what you are saying is that in your world we should have just started to see new things like Color Television released to the general public in the past few years.
It will be nice when delivery of those signals via cable is determined to be safe. Maybe we can get DOCSIS 1 in 30-40 years too. I may still be alive then.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

2 recommendations

THZNDUP to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
You forgot the closeup.......

dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to Woody79_00

Premium Member

to Woody79_00
In the lead case, I think it was known that lead was poisonous. The toxicity could be demonstrated. The problem came from underestimating the cumulative environmental effects. Nevertheless, everyone knew not to eat lead for lunch.

In the wi-fi frequency radiation case, I am pretty sure that detrimental effects have not been demonstrated. (Note the wording; it has to be that way, since you can't really show that something is ever 'safe'. If you run tests for 99 years, perhaps the bad effects only show up after 100 years, so you don't know it's absolutely safe).

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates

Premium Member

While I get your point, there are other sources of lead poisoning including folk medicines according to the CDC:
quote:
Lead has been found in some traditional (folk) medicines used by East Indian, Indian, Middle Eastern, West Asian, and Hispanic cultures. Traditional medicines can contain herbs, minerals, metals, or animal products. Lead and other heavy metals are put into certain folk medicines on purpose because these metals are thought to be useful in treating some ailments. Sometimes lead accidentally gets into the folk medicine during grinding, coloring, or other methods of preparation.

------------------------
Which folk medicines are known to contain lead
Lead has been found in powders and tablets given for arthritis, infertility, upset stomach, menstrual cramps, colic and other illnesses.
It goes on to list a bunch of the concoctions ...

I bring this up only because lead poisoning isn't a thing of the past, and it's still happening no matter what we know. And a lot of the victims are enlightened westerners who are intrigued by the latest offerings from their health food store. Including friends of mine, I'm sorry to say. A lot of aging hippies (and their kids) are into "more natural" folk medicine and treat themselves. So while they don't eat paint off the walls, they still expose themselves.

And those health food stores continue to sell the crap, which is legal because technically it's not medicine. Just as phone companies continue to sell cell phones etc. despite conflicting studies on side effects like brain cancer. Like Scarlet, they'll worry about that stuff tomorrow.

So I think Woody's point is well taken ... we really don't know. Not that I'd pay anyone billions over a parking meter, but neither would I be that sanguine about progress.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW to THZNDUP

Premium Member

to THZNDUP
said by THZNDUP:

Ok but what happens if you insert more coins?

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

1 recommendation

THZNDUP

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

said by THZNDUP:

You give George Romero an idea for another movie?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to vaxvms

MVM

to vaxvms
quote:
She is hoping to move out of Santa Monica within the year to escape the wireless soup.
The sooner the better IM (Biased) O

Regards
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

1 edit

redwolfe_98 to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
it would be nice if the judge's remedy was to send the person somewhere that doesn't have any electricity within 250 miles..

incidentally, the persons ailments are not caused by the parking meters, but by the US government's attempts to jam shortwave radio.. another possibility is that bush's weather machine is causing the ailments.. (i like to blame bush's weathermachine for everything, though i don't believe that every single natural disaster is attributable to bush's weather machine)..

wxboss
This is like Deja vu all over again.
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

wxboss to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy

Re:  

said by Snowy:

said by AVD:

That might sound like a good idea but in practice parking fees do have a legit place.
e.g., I own a street front business with metered stalls facing it.
The meters are set to a 2hr max time.
It's the meters that produce a turnover of vacant stalls.
Without the meters, people would park all day long in those stalls, making customer access a real problem.

Factor in the other ~40 businesses along that street & you'd turn a viable business district into a waste land.
If you're talking about streets in residential areas, yeah, that's just not right IMO, but never having faced that situation there may be not so obvious reasons behind them too.

You bring up a legitimate point. I was just about to agree wholeheartedly with Stuart, but there are reasonable exceptions. For instance, government buildings (e.g. courthouses etc.) where there is a great ingress/egress of people who need to have access.

I was too busy jumping to conclusions instead of coming to 'a' conclusion. In other words, I couldn't see the 'parking meters' for the 'fees'.
severach
join:2002-09-12
Jackson, MI

severach to StuartMW

to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

It stops giving off red radiation for a while. Then it comes back which gives me a headache.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

Woody79_00 to kontos

Premium Member

to kontos
said by kontos:

said by Woody79_00:

So what you are saying is that in your world we should have just started to see new things like Color Television released to the general public in the past few years.
It will be nice when delivery of those signals via cable is determined to be safe. Maybe we can get DOCSIS 1 in 30-40 years too. I may still be alive then.

No I am not saying that at all. You completely misunderstand what I mean.

I am not saying not to release it, I am saying that if after a few years of testing (Like a beta period where you trial something internally for a year or two among a small group) if the technology is good release it. However AFTER RELEASING IT studies and observations should be done to determine any long-term effects it may have(in this case wireless signals on environment)

nothing is going to be perfect, it never is. However, if we introduce something that we later find out is destroying the ecosystem or causing adverse medical effects then it should obviously be pulled if it is scientifically proven to have bad effects. Furthermore, this type of study can be used to bolster the positives of good technologies.

Lets just hypothetically say 10% of the earths population is sensitive to wifi signals and it does indeed make them sick and cause adverse medical problems. Is it fair to force those people to suffer with no recourse? that they can't even sit in their own living room and get away from it because their neighbor is broadcasting it? I am just saying....That would liken to people being allergic to nuts, and forcing them to eat nuts because the other 98% of the population is not allergic to nuts...again i am just saying.

Just so you know, the World Health Organization is studying what exactly is causing Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity in humans. It is not common, but the symptoms in people are real and have been medically documented. It could be that these signals are causing the symptoms of other conditions to become more apparent. they are not sure, as i said its being studied.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El ··· sitivity

Thats just hypothetical though mind you. I say for know keep deploying the technology and keep studying it and see where it leads.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

But those studies have already been done.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
She could always do a Cool Hand Luke although it may not end well
quote:
What we got here is... failure to communicate.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
I can only hope the judge awards costs to the city for wasting time and public money pandering to this stupid person.

“They’re trying to charge people to not give them cancer and invade their homes,” Barris said