tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Progress is good, almost...

...impressive to cover 7 million more.
We do have to recognize that the ones covered by this effort were the ones easist to connect and possible at the prices set.
each of the remaining 3 groups of 6 million, will require progressively more work at a higher price to reach.
The cost of reaching that final 1 million may be staggering, unless at some point we decide we will pay for the install on Satellite for truely remote homes and that will be good enough for now.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

most of those remote homes have electricity, right? someone paid for that to happen.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I wouldn't compare low latency high cap broadband to basic electrical service. Such service barely existed 15 years ago. You don't go from nonexistence to absolute necessity in less than two decades. You mention electricity, lots of people didn't have electricity 15 years after cities started getting it. Today, decades and decades later it is necessary for basic living. Low latency high cap broadband isn't a necessity.

If particular individuals really needs that type of broadband service (as opposed to basic connectivity with satellite) say for their job, it should have been a consideration when buying the home just as proximity to work, school, shopping and other things were considerations. Don't move next to an airport THEN complain about the noise. If you needed quiet, you shouldn't have bought next to the airport. If you needed low latency high cap service, you should have considered that along with how many bedrooms the house had.

That said, incumbents shouldn't be able to bribe legislatures to band muni deployments. Incumbents refuse to deploy and then spend millions to ensure others can't either. They feet drag long enough to get free government money while posting record profits.

If localities want low latency broadband, they should be free to put bond measures on the ballot to pay for it. Put residents in control of their infrastructure.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by skeechan:

I wouldn't compare low latency high cap broadband to basic electrical service. Such service barely existed 15 years ago. You don't go from nonexistence to absolute necessity in less than two decades.

Says someone who HAS broadband.

You mention electricity, lots of people didn't have electricity 15 years after cities started getting it.

So because something took 50 years to do 100 years ago means it has to take 50 years today?

Today, decades and decades later it is necessary for basic living.

I can show you several hundred Amish that live near me that would disagree.

Low latency high cap broadband isn't a necessity.

Once again says someone that HAS this. YOU do without it for say a year and come back and tell me your opinion again.

88615298 (banned) to tshirt

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

We do have to recognize that the ones covered by this effort were the ones easist to connect and possible at the prices set.
each of the remaining 3 groups of 6 million, will require progressively more work at a higher price to reach.
The cost of reaching that final 1 million may be staggering, unless at some point we decide we will pay for the install on Satellite for truely remote homes and that will be good enough for now.

Says you who has broadband. I love how some of the haves tell the have nots what's "good enough" for them.

Amy123
@arpa.net

Amy123 to tshirt

Anon

to tshirt
They changed the data that they based the report on. So it's not comparing apples to apples.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
I'm not saying forever, I saying Satellite is a quick fix and eventually higher speeds as greater population density will make it more practical.
Suppose that the last group of 6 million average $50k per install (some FCC staff voice this concern/guesstimate) and suppose the very last million are like some guys in a cabins 200 miles for nowhere (but not near each other) Alaska) which could cost millions to install and maintain even if he doesn't want or use it (some people move to the ends of the earth to get away from it all) At some point we have to say, "That is currently impractical, and the public/rest of the rate payers cannot be expected to subsidize it."
I think a reasonable effort to provide ACCESS to basic broadband (enough to use gov't and educational websites, email, job apps etc.) MIGHT be partially public responsiblity.
I don't think low latentcy gaming, or massive bandwidth for filesharing is or should be a federal priority for subsidy.
Yes I have broadband now, but I started with 300 baud modems and moved up over thr years through satellite and DSL and now Cable and if a fiber or LTE option was available I would consider it v.s. what I have now, but I don't expect others to subsidize my upgrade or anyone elses beyond really basic service WHERE PRACTICAL.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to skeechan

to skeechan
If you want to participate in modern society, you sure do need low latency high capacity broadband service. That's the thing about broadband, it takes away distances as a factor to commerce. Just look at what cyberspace has done for countries like India. They went from nonexistent in tech service to the major player in the world and they're the largest benefactor of broadband service in the world. We could have similar benefits for our rural citizens!

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
all of what you said is true. It took many years to get electric service out in the boonies. It can take just as long for broadband. We just need to make a plan to get it out there. I don't care if it take 20 years. Lets at least make a plan to get it going and not just leave it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
You pay for it then. It is not the responsibility of Joe Taxpayer or other ratepayers to provide low latency broadband to rural residents.

If someone NEEDS low latency broadband, they should have considered that when picking a place to live...says someone who CONSIDERED THAT and paid a hefty real estate premium to get the local services I needed or wanted.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

Picking a place to live doesn't happen when you're born into a place. All places in this country should have opportunities.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

There is no caste system in the US. No one is born, lives 80 years and dies in the same house any more and no one was or continues to be forced to. Everyone moves about at various times in the life even if in the same town.

If having low latency broadband is imperative for someone because of their work or whatever, then like EVERYONE ELSE they should pick a place to live where the service is offered.

I wanted to live where the weather was good. I wanted to live close to my job. I wanted to live hear good shops, restaurants and entertainment goings-on. I wanted to live semi-close to the freeway so my commute is a bit easier. I wanted to live in a great school district. I wanted a view lot. These are considerations I made when CHOOSING to live where I live. Today if I move, I wouldn't consider a place that doesn't have broadband, and I certainly wouldn't move there then bitch I don't have it. Again, that is like moving next to the airport and then complaining about the noise.

At my office, I'm at 19.2K cu ft and no cable. With a 3dB DSL noise margin for all intents an purposes my office is in a broadband dead zone. But instead of crying about it, I got a T1 and when I felt that it was a rip, I got Wimax service. Is it as good as the Roadrunner Business and FiOS that are literally the next block over? Of course not. But if I really want FiOS that bad, I can move.

And I don't dismiss satellite internet. I had AOL DirecPC dial-return satellite many moons ago and it worked fine. Was it as good as cable HSI or FTTH? Of course not, but it worked well for virtually everything with the exception of online games and fat uploads. On SATMEX 5 I saw 3Mb from it (with concurrent downloads).

Broadband isn't an entitlement nor should it be just like a short commute isn't an entitlement or 4 bedrooms aren't an entitlement.

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit

Premium Member

I understand where you are coming from, but you left out one very important detail: money. Not everyone is rolling in the dough to make this happen. I'm not saying Joe Taxpayer should have to foot the bill, yet at the same time I would argue that the hefty taxes we are already paying be used in the development of infrastructure.

Which, of course, will never happen. Right now, as a nation, we are broke. We are still involved overseas, not to mention all over the world, and spending record amounts on defense and healthcare. Besides all of that (and disregarding it, because I don't want to turn this into a political debate even though I feel like a lot of these issues are politically induced), as Americans we pay quite a bit in taxes. I'm sure SOME of that can be repropriated for infrastructure costs.

And if we don't want the government involved, then a bill should be passed stating that muni projects SHOULDN'T be blocked by incumbents. Incumbents shouldn't have ANY say so in what the people want.

Just my two cents.

Sidenote: I'm not saying incumbents are bad, but the incumbents have forgotten the most important piece of the puzzle: customers. Sure, incumbents are in it for the money, but take care of your customers and money will never be a problem.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to skeechan

to skeechan
Good for you and me; other people aren't as mobile. Sorry, I covered this in my previous post. Many rural people grow up and stay in their limited area, but they should still have access to basic services such as electricity and now broadband if they can pay for it. It creates more opportunities in their environment and is necessary for modern life.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to jjeffeory

Premium Member

to jjeffeory
said by jjeffeory:

If you want to participate in modern society, you sure do need low latency high capacity broadband service. That's the thing about broadband, it takes away distances as a factor to commerce. Just look at what cyberspace has done for countries like India. They went from nonexistent in tech service to the major player in the world and they're the largest benefactor of broadband service in the world. We could have similar benefits for our rural citizens!

realitively few HOMES in India are wired even for telephone and outside major cities higher speeds are rare. EVERYONE has cell phone (They are constantly talking to someone) people move to cities in tech areas go to ENGLISH and computer tech schools and work within large call centers, personal surfing is more often done by phone or at internet cafes until you reach a higher pay grades.
same thing with other manufactering advances there, MOST of the investment in tech was by private companies who by only what they need for the factory.
as demand and education has risen so (slowly) are wages within the those cities else where much of the population is still desperately poor, so internet lag and gaming is not important.

People in out lying areas any where in the world are disadvantaged by the lack of CITY services but often enjoy other benefits in return. there is no cheap/ easy/ affordable/practical way to rapidly change that. some of us out in the sticks are happy that the stuff city people think they need to survive is difficult to get out here as we don't want their noisy, nosy, stinky, asses out here anyway.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to jjeffeory

Premium Member

to jjeffeory
They can get broadband, albeit sorta crappy broadband. What advocates here are talking about is low latency high cap broadband. Satellite while not awesome, provides people with basic internet services.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to The Limit

Premium Member

to The Limit
just to clarify a few of your statements, common misunderstandings
We aren't broke but we are in debt, we do spend huge amounts on OFFENCE under the DoD(which hasn't fought a defensive war for many years, plus quite a bit on Aid/market development, Also, Americans overall (paticularly those at the top) pay realitively little in taxes compared to other developed nations, we also pay less individually and in total now than any time since your grandfather was born.
But we are damn good in coming up with new MUST HAVES to spend more future income on.

We need to start paying more NOW, for things we want in the future, and livving without until we can actually afford to buy it outright.
Those are some basic things rural people/farmers KNEW until gov't offered loan guaruntes and crop insurance and stability payments, etc. It's very easy to end up owing everything to the company store.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

If taxpayers or ratepayers are paying for deployment then TAXPAYERS should be the ones owning it, not private corporations. If we build new federal highways, I don't want them given away to some private corporation that will charge higher and higher tolls and treat their customers like ass to keep a share price up.

If taxpayers are going to do this, it should be a "municipal information service", just like a muni water utility, owned by the taxpayers and managed by an elected body accountable to the people. It should be infrastructure built by passing a muni bond measure combined with funds from the USF.

And during the election, incumbents should know the knee breaking regulatory consequences that will result from fighting a bond measure.

Not a single dime of USF money should be going to AT&T, Verizon or any other private company, especially one that posts record profits and treats customers like ass....and breaks every promise they make when begging for the money.

Taxpayers and ratepayers aren't an ATM for Verizon and AT&T to throttle whenever they want some free money. If they don't want to deploy...fine, I get that but they should GTF out of the way and allow munis to wire themselves.
skeechan

1 edit

skeechan to jjeffeory

Premium Member

to jjeffeory

Take $100B
How much could it possibly cost to wire the entire country...a trillion dollars? Take $100B from defense each year for 10 years. I don't believe for a second that a military that was just fine at $350B in 2000 needs $650B today (the wars were largely funded from supplementals). I have a hard time believing that spending $550B instead of $650B would decimate our ability to defend ourselves. Maybe it would give us pause before we start a 3rd. It also wouldn't cost any jobs since private companies will be the ones bidding to build it just as they're the ones building tanks, rockets and fighter jets.

And that infrastructure is government owned and then private companies compete to deliver content, governed by rules of net neutrality.

You don't need private roads to have a thriving taxi, limo and bus industry.

In other words, if taxpayers are going to do this, then we're going all hog and will OWN it.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
the government is who pushed electrical lines out to rural areas. If it was not for the TVA and the Rural Electrification Act I bet many areas still would not have it.

Broadband is the same issue, the incumbents claim it is not profitable to wire up these people just as the power companies claimed all those years ago. Except now the telcos and cable companies will fight in court over government deployments, I bet that bullshit did not happen with the TVA, Then again back then the government would have told them to shut up and ignored the courts because they where the federal government.
jeddak
join:2001-12-28
Visalia, CA

jeddak to 88615298

to 88615298
>I love how some of the haves tell the have nots what's "good enough" for them.

Hear, hear! Amen, bro'.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
»Re: An Idea for the Rural Broadband Money

n1581j
@wildblue.net

n1581j to tshirt

Anon

to tshirt
Oh how wrong you are.

India, is in many rural areas far better than the US with fiber. If one is a traveler like me, who has Sat in the States, Sat/Wireless in Aus, soon to be fiber, DSL in Europe I can compare across continents and say that India is the best, fastest out of all at present. Even small outlaying communities in Africa are running fiber, and this where only a fraction of the houses have power, it works out cheaper than copper and I have to ask why other than labor
xsid
join:2012-08-23

xsid to tshirt

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

You are trusting the stats are correct, right? Are these government reports? Are they dependent on industry reporting or some third party reporting?