sandman9r
Premium Member
join:2003-11-09
Franklin Square, NY

sandman9r to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB

Re: [OOL] Cablevision down in the Bronx

Service was down on 8/21 in the Bronx for me too. I'm in Melrose. First, I had no internet but my OV was working. Then OV went out too.

When I called CV, it was busy. I figured it had to be a known outage.

This was the first time in a decade that CV service was out in my area. All seems normal now.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to Rojo31

Premium Member

to Rojo31
said by Rojo31:

Don't know about all day, just when I made the post. Are you still having trouble?

No, but it was hard down from about 11:30am till around 4:30pm

irked Bronx

Anon

In Riverdale, went out yesterday morning around 7:45 (8/21); out all day; went back up very briefly around 9:30 pm but crashed after a few minutes - still out as of 7 this morning (8/22). Recorded announcement on Cablevision phone number saying they're still working to resolve the issue.

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

If you want credit for the downtime, don't hang out speak with an operator. A few years ago when service was down for 3 days in the area of Brooklyn where I use to live. They refused to give credit because we didn't speak to an actual operator when we called, and hung up after hearing the recording.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
They may give a credit, but it is worth your time? 1 day = $2?
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to HardwareGeek

to HardwareGeek
said by HardwareGeek:

If you want credit for the downtime, don't hang out speak with an operator. A few years ago when service was down for 3 days in the area of Brooklyn where I use to live. They refused to give credit because we didn't speak to an actual operator when we called, and hung up after hearing the recording.

They would have documented outages affecting you. When it is this large of an outage, I doubt you'll have trouble getting a credit for the outage.

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

@jaa when I was 3 days with out service they gave $20 credit, and @frdrizzt when we requested credit for no service for 3 days (large scale an entire neighborhood was out) they said since we never spoke to an operator to complain we weren't entitled to a credit. Took a supervisor to approve one.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to jaa

Premium Member

to jaa
said by jaa:

They may give a credit, but it is worth your time? 1 day = $2?

Yeah, I received a recorded message today saying I would get a one day refund "sometime in a future billing". Can't wait for the $2.00 sometime near christmas, it should help with seasonal shopping

That call was preceded by several recorded calls saying they were still working on fixing the outage! I finally waited for the end of the recording, and was given the option to press one, and stop the "updates". What utter incompetence!

Bob
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to HardwareGeek

to HardwareGeek
said by HardwareGeek:

@jaa when I was 3 days with out service they gave $20 credit, and @frdrizzt when we requested credit for no service for 3 days (large scale an entire neighborhood was out) they said since we never spoke to an operator to complain we weren't entitled to a credit. Took a supervisor to approve one.

Was it more hassle than waiting for a rep for yesterday's issue?

3 days continuous without service seems unlikely to be a CV area problem in most cases, unless this was like after the hurricane or something similar. When I worked in tech support there, a posted outage affecting your node was the same for credit purposes as a call. Start/stop times are listed with the outage. If it's just an issue affecting people connected to your tap, for example, it wouldn't register as a node outage, so you would need a call.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
Alright.. The outage bug hit my zip code in the Bronx. Started around 7pm last night, came back about 20 minutes after. TV and Internet were out.

For some reason I can fetch files from my FTP server a lot faster after this outage. Not complaining at all.