Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to Critsmcgee

Re: Stihl power equipment and ethanol "enhanced" gas

Go to a marina, or farm gas station for marked gas.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Critsmcgee

said by Critsmcgee:

They use to sell pure gas at the airport stations but they stopped that a while ago. I wish I could find pure gas just for the yard machines.

How about marinas? I have one about 2 miles from me but I'm not paying over $5/gal for it.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Might be worth it Jack, after you see the repair bills on those tools.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by Juggernaut:

Might be worth it Jack, after you see the repair bills on those tools.

I know it's going to be expensive. Too bad I'm not a Stihl competent mechanic.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

It's required here also for motor vehicle fuel but it can be sold for off road, boats, power equipment, tractors, combines etc. Nothing says you can't buy it in gas cans and put it in your vehicle. Same with diesel. Off road can be sold.

Other than the fact that it is totally illegal -- there are no highway taxes on it because it cannot be used on public roads.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to Jack_in_VA

Precisely my point. How many gallons will it take to pay for the bill? I'll bet a few years worth, and no downtime either.

I also run full synthetic oil in all my tools, 2 and 4 stroke. Worth every penny, IMO.
--

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
reply to robbin

Duplicate post

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

said by Jack_in_VA:

It's required here also for motor vehicle fuel but it can be sold for off road, boats, power equipment, tractors, combines etc. Nothing says you can't buy it in gas cans and put it in your vehicle. Same with diesel. Off road can be sold.

Other than the fact that it is totally illegal -- there are no highway taxes on it because it cannot be used on public roads.

I hope you really don't think I care about that? Not hardly. I had no say about the forcing of putting ethanol in gasoline by the government to buy the votes of corn farmers. The hundreds of vehicles I see here with "Farm Use" tags, "Watermen" tags, "Antique Vehicle" tags are being used illegally. I say if they can get away with it have at it.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

Precisely my point. How many gallons will it take to pay for the bill? I'll bet a few years worth, and no downtime either.

I also run full synthetic oil in all my tools, 2 and 4 stroke. Worth every penny, IMO.

I think you are being very proactive and should see good results IMO.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

I hate spending money because of my stupidity.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by Juggernaut:

I hate spending money because of my stupidity.

I got by for a long time but looks like it caught up with me. I'll stop by the Marina with my 6 gal can when I go pick up the blower and weed eater. It's on the way there. Won't happen again. Hopefully before I need more the quick stop will have theirs operational.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Critsmcgee:

They use to sell pure gas at the airport stations but they stopped that a while ago. I wish I could find pure gas just for the yard machines.

How about marinas? I have one about 2 miles from me but I'm not paying over $5/gal for it.

100% gone from the state as far as I know. I'd pay $6.00-7.00 a gallon to get some if I could. I only use like 4 gallons a year in the power tools.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by robbin:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I hope you really don't think I care about that? Not hardly. I had no say about the forcing of putting ethanol in gasoline by the government to buy the votes of corn farmers. The hundreds of vehicles I see here with "Farm Use" tags, "Watermen" tags, "Antique Vehicle" tags are being used illegally. I say if they can get away with it have at it.

Not sure how changing the subject effects anything. It is illegal to run off-road fuel in licensed vehicles, no matter what the license catagory is. Off road fuel is off-road only. Personally don't care if you want to commit tax evasion and subject yourself to the penalities involved. I do care enough to make sure that you do not suggest to others on this site activities which are illegal under both federal and state laws and pretend that there are no consequences.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

I'll stop by the Marina with my 6 gal can when I go pick up the blower and weed eater.

Buy what you need, unless you put stabilizer in it. I usually buy it in a 5 liter can, and refill it as necessary. That's all I do for the weed wacker, mower, and chainsaw.
--

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by UHF:

Here in Iowa we have 87 octane gas, and 89 octane gas with 10% ethanol in it.

Are you saying the 89 is ethanol free?

89 is 10% ethanol. 87 is pure gas, no ethanol.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
reply to robbin

I'm not suggesting anything. The posters here are big boys fully capable of making their own decisions.

So what you think one way or another means nothing, I will do what I want and so can they.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I'll stop by the Marina with my 6 gal can when I go pick up the blower and weed eater.

Buy what you need, unless you put stabilizer in it. I usually buy it in a 5 liter can, and refill it as necessary. That's all I do for the weed wacker, mower, and chainsaw.

That's what I'm thinking. After a while just dump in in the truck.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Yep, that's a good plan, and what I do as well.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to UHF

said by UHF:

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by UHF:

Here in Iowa we have 87 octane gas, and 89 octane gas with 10% ethanol in it.

Are you saying the 89 is ethanol free?

89 is 10% ethanol. 87 is pure gas, no ethanol.

Is that at the station you use? It's not universal in Iowa according to the site Spark Chaser posted.

MrIcehouse

join:2006-02-07
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to shdesigns

It costs more but I buy gas from the marina it is 100% gas no Ethanol.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Jack_in_VA

Problem will only get worse as the Farm Lobby has pushed the adoption of 15% ethanol gasoline.

10% isn't too bad but 15% and up will start causing a ton of issues for engine systems not specifically designed for it.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

The farmers petitioned the government to drop the ethanol percentage in gas to ease the price of feed. The Obama administration flatly refused. (so far)

Fix: SOME farmers are proposing this, largely the ones raising livestock. The Industrial Farm Lobby (Think ADM, etc) are all for Ethanol and high corn prices. The proposal has not been acted on by the Administration, and faces stiff opposition from powerful members of Congress.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to KrK

Somewhat unrelated, but the last paragraph tells a bit of the story. »autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/···064.html

quote:
Gasoline recalls are rare but not without precedent; last year a Minnesota refinery had to halt sales of 11,000 gallons after it mixed more than 10 percent ethanol into the fuel.
--

MrIcehouse

Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to KrK

Ethanol can be made from sugarcane which grows like a weed.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to MrIcehouse

said by MrIcehouse:

It costs more but I buy gas from the marina it is 100% gas no Ethanol.

I've been doing some googling and it appears that non-ethanol is only 10 or 15 cents per gallon more here.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

Somewhat unrelated, but the last paragraph tells a bit of the story. »autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/···064.html

quote:
Gasoline recalls are rare but not without precedent; last year a Minnesota refinery had to halt sales of 11,000 gallons after it mixed more than 10 percent ethanol into the fuel.

Last summer that happened twice in Hampton Roads causing a bunch of problems. The distributor never said anything until the problems surfaced.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to Jack_in_VA

Your engines will love you for it. Try it in your truck. One tank will make you a believer.

MrIcehouse

Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Jack_in_VA

I put it in my car and lawnmower and it's no big hit on price, saves me on repair bills for the mower and better gas mileage for the car.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to Critsmcgee

said by Critsmcgee:

There is no ethanol free gas in the entire state here. Ethanol is mandated to be in the gas by state law.

Look for marine or aviation gas. I think they're much more likely to be ethanol free, but they'll be more costly. However, price shouldn't matter much when it's used in small engines, and when one factors in repair costs, it may be a great bargain.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

I'd stay away from the av gas, and use marine if you can't find pure gas at a local station.
--