share rss forum feed

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Jack_in_VA

Re: Stihl power equipment and ethanol "enhanced" gas

Problem will only get worse as the Farm Lobby has pushed the adoption of 15% ethanol gasoline.

10% isn't too bad but 15% and up will start causing a ton of issues for engine systems not specifically designed for it.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

The farmers petitioned the government to drop the ethanol percentage in gas to ease the price of feed. The Obama administration flatly refused. (so far)

Fix: SOME farmers are proposing this, largely the ones raising livestock. The Industrial Farm Lobby (Think ADM, etc) are all for Ethanol and high corn prices. The proposal has not been acted on by the Administration, and faces stiff opposition from powerful members of Congress.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to KrK

Somewhat unrelated, but the last paragraph tells a bit of the story. »autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/···064.html

quote:
Gasoline recalls are rare but not without precedent; last year a Minnesota refinery had to halt sales of 11,000 gallons after it mixed more than 10 percent ethanol into the fuel.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

MrIcehouse

join:2006-02-07
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to KrK

Ethanol can be made from sugarcane which grows like a weed.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to MrIcehouse

said by MrIcehouse:

It costs more but I buy gas from the marina it is 100% gas no Ethanol.

I've been doing some googling and it appears that non-ethanol is only 10 or 15 cents per gallon more here.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

Somewhat unrelated, but the last paragraph tells a bit of the story. »autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/···064.html

quote:
Gasoline recalls are rare but not without precedent; last year a Minnesota refinery had to halt sales of 11,000 gallons after it mixed more than 10 percent ethanol into the fuel.

Last summer that happened twice in Hampton Roads causing a bunch of problems. The distributor never said anything until the problems surfaced.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to Jack_in_VA

Your engines will love you for it. Try it in your truck. One tank will make you a believer.

MrIcehouse

join:2006-02-07
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Jack_in_VA

I put it in my car and lawnmower and it's no big hit on price, saves me on repair bills for the mower and better gas mileage for the car.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to Critsmcgee

said by Critsmcgee:

There is no ethanol free gas in the entire state here. Ethanol is mandated to be in the gas by state law.

Look for marine or aviation gas. I think they're much more likely to be ethanol free, but they'll be more costly. However, price shouldn't matter much when it's used in small engines, and when one factors in repair costs, it may be a great bargain.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

I'd stay away from the av gas, and use marine if you can't find pure gas at a local station.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

Is that at the station you use? It's not universal in Iowa according to the site Spark Chaser posted.

Every station I've been to in Iowa for decades.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
reply to Jack_in_VA

Sunoco advertises and sells an ethanol free blend of gas at some stations here, haven't bought it but I might.

Ethanol is a pretty bad deal for everybody other than the corn farmers IMHO.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

And mechanics, and gas companies.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric
reply to Jack_in_VA

Not a fan of ethanol, but there is one absolute rule with it - don't store equipment with ethanol gas in it. As previously mentioned, ethanol will absorb water. I don't think even Stabil can fix that. Could be wrong.

I'd also advocate for using the correct octane of 89 as suggested by Stihl's engineers and indicated on the labeling of the Stihl 2 stroke oil bottles, but we had that discussion already in May, and at the time you insisted upon using 87 as opposed to the indicated 89 octane in your Stihl equipment.

To each his own...

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

And mechanics, and gas companies.

And bartenders...

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to Critsmcgee

Is ethanol free the same as race fuel? I used to see that at a station in Worcester Ma.

PaCK Fan

join:2012-01-19
Richmond, VA
reply to Jack_in_VA

another resource for pure gas is local airports. I go to the Hanover Country (Virginia) airport here outside Richmond to buy gas for my lawnmower.

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

The bloweer is about 5 years old and the trimmer around 3. Never had any problems until now.

Thanks. I'd say that was pretty old, in "lawn tool" years anyway!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to PaCK Fan

said by PaCK Fan:

another resource for pure gas is local airports. I go to the Hanover Country (Virginia) airport here outside Richmond to buy gas for my lawnmower.

I'm originally from Chesterfield and I image the Chesterfield County Airport would also have it. The closest airport to me now would be in Newport News or the small one in West Point. I have a Marina that is listed in the link of sources that is between me and the Stihl dealer. I'll just stop and get some there. My quick stop should not be that much longer. The tanks are in and he was doing some wiring for the pump yesterday.

boogi man

join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL
reply to ptrowski

race fuel means a lot of things. really depends on the spec is was formulated to. sunoco down here has a few stations selling 100 octane no-lead, last i called it was nealry $10/gal which is honestly a bit spendy even for race gas. last time i bought at the track the AMA spec fuel was a little under $9/gal and i believe it is 98 octane.
--
my site

boogi man

Jacksonville, FL
reply to Grumpy

there is a special blend of stabil that can be used to store drunk gas. it's blue. there is also startron enzyme that does the same thing.
--
my site

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to Jack_in_VA

This whole ethanol thing just pisses me off.

What in the hell was the govt. thinking when they enacted this law anyway?
I think the govt. should be held liable for the damage it does to cars, mowers, tolls, etc. (course that will never happen)

I know of a pilot that used to buy gas at a local station out here for his small piper plane. Said it was cheaper than at the small airport out here.
Ended up the station had ethanol in their gas (and it wasn't posted), and in a short time of half a summer ruined his plane, gaskets, and other items that I cant remember what he called them.

This has even made me wonder about the gas in the tanks underground. Most tanks that I am aware of cant pump out any gas when the tank gets to about 6 inches of product left in it. (that can be up to several hundred gallons)
Then comes along the delivery person and unloads gas into the almost empty tank. Which in turn mixes up all this bad water infested gas through out the tank...and into your car eventually.

They need to get rid of ethanol in our gas. Its a freaking joke!
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

boogi man

Jacksonville, FL

well if the gas station is properly equipped and maintained a fuel drop even on an empty in ground tank shouldn't effect customers. due to the fact that if properly equipped the station will have a filter/water separator at each dispenser and said filters will be changed on a regular basis thus preventing water/sediment from being passed into the customers tank.
--
my site

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA

Sounds good enough for me I suppose. The station I am talking about has been in this county for at least 40 years, and still have the old analog pumps. Hope they do have their stuff up to date and maintained.
--

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Robotics

said by Robotics:

I think the govt. should be held liable for the damage it does to cars, mowers, tolls, etc. (course that will never happen)

They were buying the votes of the corn farmers who already get all kinds of aid from the government and the "Green Wacko's" who think it's their mission in life to impose their beliefs on everyone else.

Result is we have ethanol in gasoline.

boogi man

Jacksonville, FL
reply to Robotics

on the older pumps i've seen the filter/separator on the side of the pump but not always. if i see the filter is old rusty etc i generally go somewhere else if i can. you can always ask to see what they do and or dont do. i'd be curious to know.
--
my site

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA

I frequent the station often (cheapest price around usually) and they do not have the filters on the sides. Ive seen them before so I know what you are talking about.
I just may question them next time I am there.

Thanks
--

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to Robotics

said by Robotics:

I know of a pilot that used to buy gas at a local station out here for his small piper plane. Said it was cheaper than at the small airport out here.
Ended up the station had ethanol in their gas (and it wasn't posted), and in a short time of half a summer ruined his plane, gaskets, and other items that I cant remember what he called them.

This has even made me wonder about the gas in the tanks underground. Most tanks that I am aware of cant pump out any gas when the tank gets to about 6 inches of product left in it. (that can be up to several hundred gallons)
Then comes along the delivery person and unloads gas into the almost empty tank. Which in turn mixes up all this bad water infested gas through out the tank...and into your car eventually.

YIPES!! that pilot could have killed himself and whoever was in the way of his plane when he lost power!. unbelievable!. aviation fuel is special. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_fuel anyway, ethanol production has increased the cost of feed grain, which has increased food prices quite a bit!.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA

I thought aviation fuel is different. But he definitely used regular gas for his (I think its called) piper plane.

Pher9999

join:2011-07-06
Carmel, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Jack_in_VA

Having worked at a Gas Station back in 96-98, You don't want to ever pump gas if you see a truck there unloading. It does stir up everything in the tank and makes far dirtier gas. Don't trust filters on pumps to be replaced regularly.