Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

1 edit

Wii U

»www.nintendo.com/wiiu

It's supposed to have better graphics (full 1080p), and be more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and the XBox 360. Hopefully it will be on par with the upcoming PlayStation 4 and the Xbox 720, or Nintendo will just be playing catch up.

I'm seeing some pretty good titles on the list of games scheduled to be released, so far.
I like that they are working a lot more with 3rd party developers, and targeting the more serious, hardcore gamers now.

The graphics look pretty sick!

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games

Games that I saw on that list that look like they are for more serious gamers include:

New Super Mario Bros U
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Darksiders II
Assassin's Creed III
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Mass Effect 3
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
ZombiU
Untitled Battlefield
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Sacrilegium
Untitled The Legend of Zelda

I'm sure much more games for serious gamers will join that list as the release date gets closer.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUvdP2TNBHE

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlTV78t4_rI

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZvlpA7knsQ

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U

Some quick highlights from the article:

Wii U GamePad

Wii U GamePad (White)

Main article: Wii U GamePad
The Wii U GamePad is the main controller for the Wii U. It features a built-in touchscreen, which can either supplement or replicate the gameplay shown on the main display, and can function as a standalone screen without the use of a television screen. The controller features an accelerometer, gyroscope, camera, dual analog sticks, a built-in microphone, and supports near field communication (which can be used for, among other uses, figurines that can interact with the console and wireless credit card payments with compatible cards). The console will also be compatible with the Wii Remote Plus, Wii Nunchuk and Wii Balance Board, as well as a Wii U Pro Controller for more traditional controls. Two GamePads are supported per console.

Shigeru Miyamoto promoted the idea of the GamePad, stating that he supports being able to use a secondary screen while someone else is watching the television. Wii U is said to offer asymmetric competition, where the player using the GamePad has one experience and wins in a certain way, while competing players have different ways to play and win.

Wii U Pro Controller

Wii U Pro Controller (black and white)

The Wii U Pro Controller is the second controller released for the console, available separately. Like more traditional controllers, it features standard control sticks, buttons, and triggers. Nintendo unveiled the Pro Controller at E3 2012 with the aim of attracting more "hardcore" gamers to make the Wii U more competitive with Sony's and Microsoft's offering. Many video game journalists have noted the similarity between the controller and Microsoft's Xbox 360 Controller; However, Nintendo claims that the design of the Pro Controller is an “enhanced version” of the Wii Classic controller and "offers a richer experience."

Technical specifications
Nintendo has released technical specifications of the Wii U hardware, which are listed below. These specifications are subject to change.

Processors
CPU: IBM POWER7-based multi-core processor.

GPU: Custom AMD Radeon High Definition GPU

The Wii U CPU is designed by IBM. It is described by IBM as an "all-new, POWER-based microprocessor",[66] the processor is a multi-core design manufactured at 45 nm with an eDRAM cache. Although neither Nintendo nor IBM has revealed detailed specifications, such as the number of cores,clock rate, or cache sizes, references to the chip containing "a lot" of eDRAM and "the same processor technology found in Watson" indicate that the processor shares some characteristics with IBM's POWER7 processor, which powers the Watson computer system and incorporates a large L3 eDRAM cache. The Wii U CPU will be produced by IBM at their 300 mm semiconductor manufacturing facility in East Fishkill, New York.

Storage
8 GB Internal flash memory, expandable via SD memory cards andUSB hard disk drives
Slot-loading optical disc drive compatible with 12 cm "proprietary high-density optical discs" (25 GB per layer) and 12 cm Wii optical discs

Ports and peripheral capabilities
SD memory card slot (supports SDHC cards)
USB 2.0 ports (2 at front of console, 2 at rear)
Sensor Bar power port
"AV Multi Out" port
HDMI 1.4 out port

Wii U GamePad
Built-in 3-axis accelerometer and 3-axis gyroscope
Speakers and Microphone
Front-facing camera
IR Sensor strip
6.2 inch (15.7 cm) 16:9 resistive touchscreen
Two clickable analog sticks and one D-pad
Stylus
Select, Start, Home and Power buttons
A/B/X/Y face buttons, L/R bumper buttons and ZL/ZR trigger buttons
Rumble
Controller sync button
Bluetooth
NFC
Note: The Wii U is also compatible with the Wii Remote Plus, Wii Nunchuk, Classic Controller, and theWii Balance Board.

Video
1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576i (PAL Only), 480p, 480i, standard 4:3 and 16:9 anamorphic widescreen
"AV Multi Out" port supporting composite video, YPBPR component video, S-Video(NTSC consoles only), RGB SCART (PAL consoles only) and D-Terminal (Japan only)
HDMI 1.4 out port supporting stereoscopic 3D images.

Audio
"AV Multi Out" port. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI

Media Capabilities
Nintendo is working with Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube to bring streaming digital movie and television content to the Wii U. Nintendo has demonstrated that simple gestures can be used on the Wii U GamePad to transfer video content from the GamePad to the television screen. Users will also have the ability to switch from the television screen to the Wii U GamePad when watching videos.

The Wii U GamePad can also be used as a universal television remote with a built in guide, even when the Wii U is off. This will allow users to use the Wii U GamePad as a means to switch television inputs, browse through channels, look through channel programming guides, and turn the Wii U console on.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

I've seen some demos of this system and one thing nags at me. Everytime I see someone playing a game on the Wii U, they are looking at their controller and not at the big screen. If I wanted to play on a DSI screen, I'd just buy that instead.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Then don't look on the touchscreen. Lol.

You can use the touchscreen to supplement the gameplay on the larger TV, or you can use the touchscreen to display the game completely instead of using the TV. It gives you options.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

reply to Alpha Phoenix

This will be fail. Serious gamers already are on XBOX 360, PS3 or PC. Those using 360 and PS3 are waiting for the next generation of those consoles and won't get a WiiU. The WiiU will most likely be more expensive than either the 360 or PS3 so why bother getting it? Most of those that got the Wii were "price conscience" Or as I call them "cheap". So they won't get the WiiU.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Well, it's supposed to have better graphics (full 1080p), and be more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and the XBox 360. Hopefully it will be on par with the upcoming PlayStation 4 and the Xbox 720, or Nintendo will just be playing catch up.

But the more mature titles, and more support and embracing 3rd party developers, is all to target serious hardcore gamers, so hopefully they will hit a homerun with this.

I read that Nintendo is targeting the $299 price point for the Wii U, so that should also be a huge draw. I don't see this going for more than $399 tho. Nintendo hasn't really ever set a precedent of price gouging.
--

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA
reply to 88615298

I didn't get the Wii because of the price. I got it because I love the Mario games. Ain't going to find those on the stupid 360 or Xbox :P

Premium
West Tenness

said by ebgbjo:

I didn't get the Wii because of the price. I got it because I love the Mario games. Ain't going to find those on the stupid 360 or Xbox :P

I think Nintendo needs more than Mario/Zelda lovers for the WiiU to be a success.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA

2 recommendations

Why? There are other games that many people enjoy through Nintendo. If Nintendo wasn't a success, they wouldn't still be in the game.

I never understand why so called hardcore gamers gets their panties in a bunch when Nintendo comes out with a new model and starts the whole "serious gamers will never buy one" when they should realize, not all gamers want to play games like WoW, Metal Gear and the like. Some gamers just want to come home from a long hard day at work or school and play a fun game, or just have some games that can be enjoyed by all family members

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Alpha Phoenix

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Well, it's supposed to have better graphics (full 1080p), and be more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and the XBox 360.

Only slightly better.

Hopefully it will be on par with the upcoming PlayStation 4 and the Xbox 720,

It will barely be better than the 360 and PS3 so no it won't be close to a 720 or PS4.

But the more mature titles, and more support and embracing 3rd party developers, is all to target serious hardcore gamers, so hopefully they will hit a homerun with this.

Serious gamers especially those willing to fork over $60 a year for Xbox Live want a superb online experience. Nintendo has a lot to do in that area.

I read that Nintendo is targeting the $299 price point for the Wii U, so that should also be a huge draw. I don't see this going for more than $399 tho. Nintendo hasn't really ever set a precedent of price gouging.

$299? And you'll see MS drop the price of the XBOX 360 from $299 to $249 or lower. The PS3 is already $249 you could see a price drop to $199. I'll take a $199 PS3 over a $299 WiiU any day.

Also from what I hear it only has 8 GB of storage. Are you nuts? Also doesn't play Blu-ray or DVDs.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

This system will only slightly be better than the 360 and PS3 performance wise. Like another post stated, the newer xbox and PS will blow this thing out of the water. I personally will eventually pick one up. I love Mario, and finally being able to play Mario in HD will be a blast. I hope another Mario Galaxy game is made, those were amazing to play. Other than Mario and Mario Kart the Wii in general was a total fail in my opinion. No other games really stood out to me. I lost interest in Zelda after Ocarina of Time. I tried the first Zelda that was released on the Wii and just couldn't get into it. I was never a big fan of Metroid. I wish Nintendo was able to release something new and fresh.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Alpha Phoenix

I hope my kids don't want this.

footballdude
Premium
Imperial, MO

1 recommendation

reply to MuDvAyNe

said by MuDvAyNe:

Other than Mario and Mario Kart the Wii in general was a total fail in my opinion.

Spider Man Web Of Shadows was awesome on the Wii. The motion control fighting worked great and the web swinging was a lot of fun.

This thread reminds me. I got Mario Galaxy for the kids for Christmas and I forgot it was there. I need to fire up the Wii and get going on that.
--

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298

Remember when people predicted the Wii would fail? Me too. It didn't. You keep mentioning serious gamers, but don't forget the huge market of people who aren't. Overall the wii can be a fun console, and to have it upgraded with better graphics etc will be nice.

footballdude
Premium
Imperial, MO

2 recommendations

said by ptrowski:

You keep mentioning serious gamers

It always makes me laugh when someone says 'serious gamer'. Relax, this stuff is supposed to be fun.
--

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

No kidding huh?

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
reply to Alpha Phoenix

What the original Wii had going for it when it came out was novelty from the use of motion controls. Now Nintendo wants to do more novelty with a touchscreen in the controller, which uses resistive technology (press down for it to recognize) instead of capacitive (what most smart phones use) in order to keep costs down.

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Alpha Phoenix

The Wii was fun for a little while (played the new Mario, Zelda, Brawl, and Punch-out), eventually we lost interest in it. The Wii then became a Netflix portal (until we got another Roku box), now all it's used for is the Virtual Console, and only by my six-year-old. I can't see myself getting the WiiU.

On another note, I hear Nintendo Power is shutting down at the end of the year:
»arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/08/s···ication/

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Goggalor

said by Goggalor:

What the original Wii had going for it when it came out was novelty from the use of motion controls. Now Nintendo wants to do more novelty with a touchscreen in the controller, which uses resistive technology (press down for it to recognize) instead of capacitive (what most smart phones use) in order to keep costs down.

Can you post a link to that info please?
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
reply to RockCake

said by RockCake:

On another note, I hear Nintendo Power is shutting down at the end of the year:
»arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/08/s···ication/

Well, magazines are going the way of the dodo. Additionally, Nintendo has the Nintendo Fan Club running online, which is what Nintendo Power was previously called.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to Alpha Phoenix

The Wii U Pro controller will be a must.

I think a big reason for the extra hardware power inside is because the system is expected to render and drive the display on both the TV and/or the touchscreen controller. From the looks of it, it seems the Wii U console has to be responsible, and the touchscreen controller is almost effectively a 'dumb' terminal in terms of processing.

Looking at the specs list... I know that Nintendo thinks that Dolby Pro Logic is "good 'nuff" with the Gamecube and Wii, but would it really add that much to the system's price to have an optical-out?

I do find it interesting that the system does tout support for 1080p 3D; even with all the hoopla $ony is touting about the PS3's 3D support, it's limited to 720p at best. So that would be a one-up there.

I would be interested. And if it gets modified like the Wii did, it would give me a reason to get it right away.

Metroid Prime was... okay. Other M was an insult... but then again, this is what you get from a team (Ninja) who hasn't respected female heroines since they could digitally render boobs. They turned a protagonist on par with Ellen *expletive* Ripley into a ditz with daddy issues...

No More Heroes and Madworld were fantastic on the Wii, and I hope to see some similar coming to this system; ZombiU admittedly has my interests. The Old-School Mega Man revivals (9 & 10) simply were best on the Wii, because of the control schema actually fits the nature of the game. Shame Capcom still wants to hold a grudge to one of their best talents...

Mario was predictably fun, but when I wanted a game featuring Luigi as the protagonist for a change, I was hoping for something a little more... intense than Luigi's Mansion. Not that LM is bad or anything, but after the crap-fest that was Mario is Missing! way back when, the man in green really deserved some sort of apology in game form. I'm reminded of some of the wacked out journal entries if you went to check on Luigi at their home in some of the Paper Mario games. Why not an adventure game or similar based on those?

The Wii U's hardware bump would indeed mean that finally more could be done with the system. I was actually pretty surprised with Modern Warfare 3 on the Wii, in that it actually held up to its bigger brothers for the most part. Even WWE '12 actually seemed more in tune when using the GameCube controller, given the simplified button schema that THQ was going for. But yes, if anything the weakest link in the Nintendo environment in general is the networking and online... and you would think by now that Nintendo would have had enough time to learn from Microsoft's and Sony's mistakes to deliver something truly worthwhile.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Premium
West Tenness
reply to ptrowski

said by ptrowski:

Remember when people predicted the Wii would fail? Me too. It didn't. You keep mentioning serious gamers, but don't forget the huge market of people who aren't. Overall the wii can be a fun console, and to have it upgraded with better graphics etc will be nice.

It sold because it had a gimmicky controller and much lower price than the PS3 and XBOX 360. The WiiU will NOT be lower than these 2 and no one cares about this new gimmick they have. And their old gimmick is incorporated in the 360 and PS3.

If you look at an apples to apples comparison the WiiU will sell less units than the 360 or PS3 which is the consoles it should be compared too. I'm sick of people comparing Wii sales to PS3 and 360 when the Wii was a glorified PS2/Xbox.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

1 recommendation

It sold because Nintendo has a huge following. It sold because anyone of any age group or ability could play and they have a good catalog of games anyone can play. It's compared with the others because it is the next gen console from Nintendo at the time. It's not in the same realm of the PS3 and Xbox360, no one is doubting that. But to say it was a gimmick is just ignorant.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Alpha Phoenix

The Wii may have sold well, but the game sales have been nothing short of disappointing. Especially in the US. A look in the top 25 best selling console games right now and you will see the only Wii games that chart are either created by Nintendo or have the vast majority of the sales overseas. The 3DS has a nearly identical situation, except the hardware sales are equally as disappointing.

Nintendo just doesn't get it anymore. In an attempt to be innovative, they are losing their edge. The Wii's online capabilities have been nothing short of crap in every way, and this is without a doubt the biggest driving factor of gaming in the US. My Dreamcast could do more online and that isn't a joke. Nintendo just keeps dropping the ball and spends more time trying to outlaw the sale of used games than they do fixing what is clearly broken.

I predict the Wii U will be a complete failure. Not even Mario can keep it afloat.

Morfein

join:2004-09-08
Avon, IN
reply to Silvanos

said by Silvanos:

I hope my kids don't want this.

I'm with ya....

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

This will be fail. Serious gamers already are on XBOX 360, PS3 or PC.

LOL, same words were spoken about the original Wii. We all see how that turned out.

Lets not even discuss their handheld units, which completely dominate the competition.

You seem to have an agenda against the Wii for some reason? Are you butthurt because a system with inferior graphics has sold a huge amount of more units worldwide compared to your Xbox?

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

If you look at an apples to apples comparison the WiiU will sell less units than the 360 or PS3 which is the consoles it should be compared too. I'm sick of people comparing Wii sales to PS3 and 360 when the Wii was a glorified PS2/Xbox.

Why would/should the WiiU be compared to the PS3 or 360? The original Wii released in that generation.

The Game Cube was the comparable system to the PS2/Xbox. You're not making much sense.

Premium
West Tenness

said by Ghastlyone:

said by 88615298:

Why would/should the WiiU be compared to the PS3 or 360? The original Wii released in that generation.

The Game Cube was the comparable system to the PS2/Xbox. You're not making much sense.

I don't care WHEN a system was released it's by SPECS in my book. If a retro ColecoVision was released and sold 100 million units it is #1 now because it sold the most of "this generation" Um no. Like I said, in MY book and to me that's the only book that matters.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

According to leaked Wii U specs, I'm gonna assume that the wii u will be the Dreamcast of the next gen: An obvious upgrade from the last gen, but also less powerful then the others of the newer, yet able to hold it's own.

It's not gonna be known as part of the ps3/360 gen.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by Ghastlyone:

said by 88615298:

I don't care WHEN a system was released it's by SPECS in my book. If a retro ColecoVision was released and sold 100 million units it is #1 now because it sold the most of "this generation" Um no. Like I said, in MY book and to me that's the only book that matters.

So if it's all about specs in "your book", you should be posting in the PC gaming forum more often then you do. Guess not.

Yet again. You make no sense.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by Ghastlyone:

said by 88615298:

Your book and to you, never truer words spoken. All the consoles have their strengths and weaknesses. I personally have a 360 and a Wii, I'd have a PS3 but there's so much stuff released cross-console now and not enough "Must Have" PS3 games for me that I can't justify the cost of one yet. My daughter loves the Wii, I love the Wii, I know a lot of families that have them. Even though it's not a "hardcore" gaming machine, it's fun. I mean really, how hardcore was an NES back in the day? Or an SNES?

I think the Wii U will probably do fine. I may not buy one right out the gate, but that's not necessarily for lack of wanting one. Sometimes other things take financial priority. I remember the Wii getting mocked a lot - heck, I remember mocking the Wii, before I had a chance to use one. Out of the three "current" generation systems, it's probably the one I have the most fun with. At least it's not always trying to nickel and dime me like all the "Xbox Live Gold only" features Microsoft keeps shoving out there.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...