join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

C0deZer0 to MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

to MuDvAyNe

Re: Wii U

Let's put this into perspective though.

The entry-level 360 back then didn't have any internal storage at all. And only now, would using a standard flash drive provide any possible way to store save data of any kind, much less support installed games. And you still needed a hard drive to play any xbox 1 titles. The current entry-level 360 comes with 4GB of flash memory, which by the same standard is even worse, since now some demos are as big as 2gb's a piece.

While the base 'super slim' PS3 has a 250GB hard drive here, anyone using PS Plus would find about 100GB's of that just gone with the 'rental' games that it provides. And that's only here in the states. In other regions, the 'starter' super slim PS3 actually only comes with 12GB's of storage. And what's worse about it is that this edition may need a separate adapter to install more storage at all. This doesn't even take into account the severe dis-jointment of functionality since the launch models, that started with 20 or 60gb's of disk space.

As it is now, there just isn't that much stuff available for WiiU to warrant having that much of a huff about its factory storage. And the Wii at first also didn't support storing download games or such on SD card... it took a firmware update a few years down the line before that was possible. And for 512MB's of internal storage, that has somehow remained viable for quite a while for me. Not great, but without said updates from Nintendo, I probably would have been doing far worse.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

I GOT MINE!!!!!!

32GB Deluxe Version!!!

Loving how sleek and sexy it looks. The controllers seems a lot more responsive, and have a nicer look/feel to them. Went through the initial setup and am currently doing the massive system update.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

You must be to busy playing to report back. I want a review from you!!

sleuth3
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

sleuth3 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

I GOT MINE!!!!!!

32GB Deluxe Version!!!

Loving how sleek and sexy it looks. The controllers seems a lot more responsive, and have a nicer look/feel to them. Went through the initial setup and am currently doing the massive system update.

Ha me too. There were actually plenty in stock out here. I didn't have to wait in line, and went to a local Best Buy and purchased the deluxe around 1pm with 3 or 4 still in stock behind the counter.

I've played 1 game so far and it was pretty neat. The system is updating once again...
sleuth3

sleuth3 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

The Wii U GamePad can also be used as a universal television remote with a built in guide, even when the Wii U is off. This will allow users to use the Wii U GamePad as a means to switch television inputs, browse through channels, look through channel programming guides, and turn the Wii U console on.

Boy I was really looking forward to this feature but it's pretty much useless and not something I would leverage. It's totally basic and pretty much only changes the channel and volume. Perhaps I was expecting too much.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

Metatron2008

Premium Member

That might be because Wii u 'tvii' app (The main controlling piece for the wii u's harmony features) won't be out until december.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by Metatron2008:

That might be because Wii u 'tvii' app (The main controlling piece for the wii u's harmony features) won't be out until december.

Yep. Exactly right!

sleuth3
Premium Member
West Des Moines, IA

sleuth3 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Thanks for the info. I haven't kept up with the Wii U release or info. I honestly didn't know the Wii U came out today until I strolled into Target.

My wife has since taken over the TV and been playing games most of the evening...

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by sleuth3:

Thanks for the info. I haven't kept up with the Wii U release or info. I honestly didn't know the Wii U came out today until I strolled into Target.

My wife has since taken over the TV and been playing games most of the evening...

LOL!!!
Alpha Phoenix

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· kGo5j7NU

sleuth3
Premium Member
West Des Moines, IA

sleuth3 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Nintendo should have applied the 3DS tech onto the Gamepad screen. This could have been cool, or very irritating

The little time I've spent playing this, doesn't really scream next gen gaming to me. Nintendo is usually great at breaking the mold and creating innovation. Just looks like they mashed the handheld DS and Wii into one system. Not complaining, but just hoping the next Nintendo in 5 years or so really stretches the imagination.

Kulldar
Premium Member
join:2008-11-11
Warren, MI

Kulldar to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
I got mine on Monday. It's very cool! My kids (6 and 3) love playing Super Mario U, and Nintendo Land.

Super Mario U is pretty much what you expect of a Mario game, it reminds me of a cross between Super Mario World - SNES, and Super Mario - Wii.

Nintendo Land is a very fun, family friendly game. There are approximately 10 mini games within the game. We've only played three of them so far but each is a lot of fun. So far our favorite is Mario Chase. The first player uses the large controller, and up to 4 others can play using a wii remote. It's simple, player run has to run away and hide from the other players while they chase him/her. It's good fun and provides some really good laughs.

I also picked up ZombieU for myself. I played about three hours so far and I really like this game. It reminds me of the feeling I had when I first played Resident Evil on Playstation. I like the added features with the controller, it contains your backpack, your map, a radar to detect undead, and some other game functions. My only complaint so far is how dark the game is, but I imagine that leads to part of the genres environment.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium Member
join:2007-09-14
USA

ebgbjo to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
I got the Wii U on the 21t and am loving it so far. Only have Mario U, but looking into getting the Scribblernauts game this coming weekend.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix
Got mine, cant use it for a while Christmas present and all. Don't really care how much more powerful than a ps3/360 it is. if I want good graphics I play on the pc(as should any sane person) if I want nintendo games I play nintendo products. Still I have a feeling that this is going to be a lot closer to the 720/ps4 than they are going to be to a high end pc, in terms of power. Especially if the 6670 and sony using an apu rumors are correct.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Nintendo TVii went live today! Woo-hoo!!!!!!! »www.ign.com/articles/201 ··· hands-on

Still trying to figure out how to actually watch live TV on my Gamepad though.......

sleuth3
Premium Member
West Des Moines, IA

sleuth3 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Does Nintedo TV only stream Amazon and huluplus? Or do I just need to download other apps?

Also, has the riddle for switching to streaming content been solved yet for sports fans? Not sure if a subscription based site offering live sports streams even exists.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix
Sorry but unless you are huge fan of Mario, Zelda etc it's waste of money. XBOX 360 and PS3 are cheaper and have more.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

2 edits

Alpha Phoenix to sleuth3

Premium Member

to sleuth3
said by sleuth3:

Does Nintedo TV only stream Amazon and huluplus? Or do I just need to download other apps?

Also, has the riddle for switching to streaming content been solved yet for sports fans? Not sure if a subscription based site offering live sports streams even exists.

Netflix, Amazon Plus, Hulu Plus, YouTube, Live TV, Movies, and plenty of other options, etc...

Here, check out this video demoing that feature:

»youtu.be/RnY-wpMbIv0

ebgbjo
Premium Member
USA

ebgbjo to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

Nintendo TVii went live today! Woo-hoo!!!!!!! »www.ign.com/articles/201 ··· hands-on

Still trying to figure out how to actually watch live TV on my Gamepad though.......

So basically it is just a quide for me to see what is available on a streaming service? It will be an app that is useless to me then since I am not going to pay money for Netflix or Hulu

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

No it's not just for that. The video shows the features, and it clearly shows how it does waaaay more than what you just stated.

ebgbjo
Premium Member
USA

ebgbjo

Premium Member

I tried it. Not doing much yet on my end. Every show I try gets the "this show doesn't use tvii tag" message. I can use my remote for tv to search for shows on my tv or DVR and without subscription service to streaming like Amazon, Hulu or Netflix, so far Tvii is useless

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by ebgbjo:

I tried it. Not doing much yet on my end. Every show I try gets the "this show doesn't use tvii tag" message. I can use my remote for tv to search for shows on my tv or DVR and without subscription service to streaming like Amazon, Hulu or Netflix, so far Tvii is useless

Looks like the functionality just needs to be brought up to where they are shooting for. As of now it seems they haven't gotten fully up and running fluidly yet. But the sports feature from the video seems pretty cool if you're into that kind of thing.

But I'm with you so far.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix
So far since the WiiU debuted the XBOX 360 and PS3 are still outselling it. What's going to happen to WiiU sales next year at this time when the "PS4" and "XBOX 720" come out?

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

That'll be dependent on the pricepoint of those consoles, and the selection of games they'll have at launch vs. what the Wii U will have. Personally, my daughter and I are really enjoying hers.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
The Wii U currently doesn't have a great selection of games. But then again what consoles really have great launch titles? As developers push the premier titles out, that's when you're really going to see what the real demand for the Wii U will be, but as it is, it's only been out about a month now.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

2 recommendations

captokita to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

So far since the WiiU debuted the XBOX 360 and PS3 are still outselling it. What's going to happen to WiiU sales next year at this time when the "PS4" and "XBOX 720" come out?

Established bases at reduced prices ALWAYS outsell the new stuff. Guess what, when PS4 & 720 come out, 360 & PS3 will outsell them too, so what will you say then? Nintendo's sales will also see a spike at that time over the newcomers as well, as they will likely hold the cheapest pricepoint.

Oh wait, you're just hating on Nintendo like usual. Carry on......

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

I'd be curious what percentage of those Xbox and PS3 sales are people replacing 1st and 2nd gen consoles too, rather than brand new purchasers.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
said by captokita:

said by 88615298:

Established bases at reduced prices ALWAYS outsell the new stuff. Guess what, when PS4 & 720 come out, 360 & PS3 will outsell them too, so what will you say then? Nintendo's sales will also see a spike at that time over the newcomers as well, as they will likely hold the cheapest pricepoint.

Oh wait, you're just hating on Nintendo like usual. Carry on......

Established systems outsell versus a new console's very first holiday season? No, they typically don't. The Wii U was supposed to be a hot holiday item and it simply wasn't. It did not live up to the sales expectations.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
I will pick up a Wii U once it has a bigger harddrive and a price drop... or if Super Mario Galaxy 3 is released

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

1 recommendation

danawhitaker to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
Out of curiosity, is the whole 360 and PS3 outselling the Wii U thing still being based off of Black Friday sales? If so, that's really not a fair comparison. Many retailers had discounted bundles for those consoles, whereas the Wii U had no deals at all except for simply existing (as should be expected, since it's a brand new console). I saw ridiculously cheap bundles on Amazon for the PS3, almost tempting enough to make me buy one. Several of my friends with Xbox 360s that were on the way out the door due to age/problems also used it as an opportunity to replace their existing consoles. The other flaw I saw with some of the sales comparisons was that in some cases they were comparing the full month of November for Xbox and PS3 to half a month for the Wii U (since it didn't launch until the 18th).

"In a span of four weeks of being on the market, Nintendo has sold over 1.8 million Wii U consoles. In that same amount of time, Microsoft sold 940,000 Xbox 360 consoles, and Sony shipped 540,000 PlayStation 3 consoles." (that's referring to launch, not a holiday sales comparison)

»gengame.net/2012/12/wii- ··· -launch/

I haven't seen any full sales data for the holiday season past the Black Friday stuff, and I'll be interested to. But the Wii U isn't performing nearly as dismally as some people here would like to make it out to be. I for one was glad that I was able to readily attain one online without it being in some stupid overpriced bundle like the 360 launch and PS3 launch were notorious for. Some people think that not being able to find a console on store shelves is some kind of badge of honor for the company selling it. I think it indicates that the company prepared poorly for the launch in the first place. Nintendo has been guilty of this in the past too. I think the Wii U had just the right amount of difficulty. It wasn't a guaranteed deal in stores, but it wasn't outright impossible to the point people be beating each other senseless to get one either.