share rss forum feed

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA
reply to Alpha Phoenix

Re: Wii U

I tried it. Not doing much yet on my end. Every show I try gets the "this show doesn't use tvii tag" message. I can use my remote for tv to search for shows on my tv or DVR and without subscription service to streaming like Amazon, Hulu or Netflix, so far Tvii is useless

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1
said by ebgbjo:

I tried it. Not doing much yet on my end. Every show I try gets the "this show doesn't use tvii tag" message. I can use my remote for tv to search for shows on my tv or DVR and without subscription service to streaming like Amazon, Hulu or Netflix, so far Tvii is useless

Looks like the functionality just needs to be brought up to where they are shooting for. As of now it seems they haven't gotten fully up and running fluidly yet. But the sports feature from the video seems pretty cool if you're into that kind of thing.

But I'm with you so far.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Alpha Phoenix
So far since the WiiU debuted the XBOX 360 and PS3 are still outselling it. What's going to happen to WiiU sales next year at this time when the "PS4" and "XBOX 720" come out?

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
That'll be dependent on the pricepoint of those consoles, and the selection of games they'll have at launch vs. what the Wii U will have. Personally, my daughter and I are really enjoying hers.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to 88615298
The Wii U currently doesn't have a great selection of games. But then again what consoles really have great launch titles? As developers push the premier titles out, that's when you're really going to see what the real demand for the Wii U will be, but as it is, it's only been out about a month now.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

2 recommendations

reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

So far since the WiiU debuted the XBOX 360 and PS3 are still outselling it. What's going to happen to WiiU sales next year at this time when the "PS4" and "XBOX 720" come out?

Established bases at reduced prices ALWAYS outsell the new stuff. Guess what, when PS4 & 720 come out, 360 & PS3 will outsell them too, so what will you say then? Nintendo's sales will also see a spike at that time over the newcomers as well, as they will likely hold the cheapest pricepoint.

Oh wait, you're just hating on Nintendo like usual. Carry on......

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
I'd be curious what percentage of those Xbox and PS3 sales are people replacing 1st and 2nd gen consoles too, rather than brand new purchasers.
--

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to captokita
said by captokita:

said by 88615298:

Established bases at reduced prices ALWAYS outsell the new stuff. Guess what, when PS4 & 720 come out, 360 & PS3 will outsell them too, so what will you say then? Nintendo's sales will also see a spike at that time over the newcomers as well, as they will likely hold the cheapest pricepoint.

Oh wait, you're just hating on Nintendo like usual. Carry on......

Established systems outsell versus a new console's very first holiday season? No, they typically don't. The Wii U was supposed to be a hot holiday item and it simply wasn't. It did not live up to the sales expectations.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Alpha Phoenix
I will pick up a Wii U once it has a bigger harddrive and a price drop... or if Super Mario Galaxy 3 is released
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

1 recommendation

reply to silbaco
Out of curiosity, is the whole 360 and PS3 outselling the Wii U thing still being based off of Black Friday sales? If so, that's really not a fair comparison. Many retailers had discounted bundles for those consoles, whereas the Wii U had no deals at all except for simply existing (as should be expected, since it's a brand new console). I saw ridiculously cheap bundles on Amazon for the PS3, almost tempting enough to make me buy one. Several of my friends with Xbox 360s that were on the way out the door due to age/problems also used it as an opportunity to replace their existing consoles. The other flaw I saw with some of the sales comparisons was that in some cases they were comparing the full month of November for Xbox and PS3 to half a month for the Wii U (since it didn't launch until the 18th).

"In a span of four weeks of being on the market, Nintendo has sold over 1.8 million Wii U consoles. In that same amount of time, Microsoft sold 940,000 Xbox 360 consoles, and Sony shipped 540,000 PlayStation 3 consoles." (that's referring to launch, not a holiday sales comparison)

»gengame.net/2012/12/wii-u-off-to···-launch/

I haven't seen any full sales data for the holiday season past the Black Friday stuff, and I'll be interested to. But the Wii U isn't performing nearly as dismally as some people here would like to make it out to be. I for one was glad that I was able to readily attain one online without it being in some stupid overpriced bundle like the 360 launch and PS3 launch were notorious for. Some people think that not being able to find a console on store shelves is some kind of badge of honor for the company selling it. I think it indicates that the company prepared poorly for the launch in the first place. Nintendo has been guilty of this in the past too. I think the Wii U had just the right amount of difficulty. It wasn't a guaranteed deal in stores, but it wasn't outright impossible to the point people be beating each other senseless to get one either.
--

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
All I can say is I was at more than one store prior to Christmas and they had units on the shelf. For debut years for either the ps3 or 360 I cant say the same.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
said by hitachi369:

All I can say is I was at more than one store prior to Christmas and they had units on the shelf. For debut years for either the ps3 or 360 I cant say the same.

Which ones? The Basic (White),or the Deluxe (Black)?
--

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to danawhitaker
said by danawhitaker:

"In a span of four weeks of being on the market, Nintendo has sold over 1.8 million Wii U consoles. In that same amount of time, Microsoft sold 940,000 Xbox 360 consoles, and Sony shipped 540,000 PlayStation 3 consoles." (that's referring to launch, not a holiday sales comparison)

Your data is off

WiiU Nov 24th-Dec 15th 1.817 million
PS3 Nov 25th-Dec 15th 1.797 million
360 Nov 25th-Dec 15th 1.865 million

of course the PS3 and 360 numbers aren't counting sales on the 24th like the WiiU.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
said by 88615298:

said by danawhitaker:

Your data is off

WiiU Nov 24th-Dec 15th 1.817 million
PS3 Nov 25th-Dec 15th 1.797 million
360 Nov 25th-Dec 15th 1.865 million

of course the PS3 and 360 numbers aren't counting sales on the 24th like the WiiU.

My data is for each of those console's launch windows, not this holiday season. I guess I didn't make that as clear as I meant to. Ergo, the number I linked was 940,000 Xbox 360 consoles in its first 4 weeks in 2005, and 540,000 PS3s whenever that launched. The Wii U sold more units in its 4 week launch window than the 360 or PS3 sold in their respective launch windows. Sony actually ended up only selling about half the number of PS3s they expected to within the first 4-5 months after launch, according to some articles I read.

Can you quote me the source on your numbers for the PS3 and 360 sales from November 25th to December 15th? I'm not doubting them, I just had trouble stumbling across them earlier when I was looking up information.

Something interesting I found was that in 2005, after the 360 launch, PS2 sales increased 48% in December 2005 compared to December 2004. So such trends aren't necessarily completely out of whack.
--

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA
reply to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by sleuth:

Does Nintedo TV only stream Amazon and huluplus? Or do I just need to download other apps?

Also, has the riddle for switching to streaming content been solved yet for sports fans? Not sure if a subscription based site offering live sports streams even exists.

Netflix, Amazon Plus, Hulu Plus, YouTube, Live TV, Movies, and plenty of other options, etc...

Here, check out this video demoing that feature:

»youtu.be/RnY-wpMbIv0

Thanks. I FINALLY watched the video. So Nintendo TV still just circulates around the main services of Netflix, Amazon and Hulu Plus - which are the 3 I would subscribe too anyway. Not sure of any other mainstream streaming sites anyway for TV and movies.

Still curious if there's a site that offers sports streams outside of NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA TV, etc. I would love to be able to watch other games that are not locally broadcast. I'm sure there's some copyright issues with this, but maybe someone will pleasantly surprise me.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
So for those of you that have one and find it useful...do you like the Nintendo Tvii? I'm almost to the point of pulling the trigger. This will go in the bedroom and will be mostly for my better half's benefit with Nintendo Tvii. We do have a dvr and subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime. I'm sure I will grab the Mario title to start off. Worth it?

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
Its basically like a limited logitech harmony. It can turn on and off your tv, allow you to switch inputs, change channels on the tv, etc. You can use cable and satellite boxes (Works on my directv h24), and the mario game can be played on the gamepad. I've played the mario game while watching tv.

It's useful, but a logitech harmony is more useful. Will need to be a nintendo fan.

Oh, the netflix app is the best. It actually shows what shows and movies are in HD!

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
reply to bionicRod
said by bionicRod:

So for those of you that have one and find it useful...do you like the Nintendo Tvii? I'm almost to the point of pulling the trigger. This will go in the bedroom and will be mostly for my better half's benefit with Nintendo Tvii. We do have a dvr and subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime. I'm sure I will grab the Mario title to start off. Worth it?

I don't find the Tivii aspect terribly compelling. I was excited when I was first setting it up, but the interface seemed less than impressive. My cable company also had poor options for the channel stuff - neither one was accurate for my channel lineup where I live. I was able to save a bunch of my favorite shows, but the interface for that wasn't too great either. I can't even find a list of just my favorites and their airtimes, which is the sort of thing I was hoping for. I'm hoping as time goes on they'll flesh the feature out, but I definitely wouldn't include it was an aspect of the system that would be the tipping point to convince me to buy it, at least not right now.

It did find my TV and cable box pretty quickly, so I'll give it a few points in that regard.
--

bionicRod
Premium
united state
Thanks to you both for the responses, I appreciate it. She has seen that vid posted upthread and wants one, but now I'm not so sure. I hadn't heard of the Logitech Harmony before Metatron, thanks for the heads up.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Alpha Phoenix
The Wii U had an estimated sales of between 50-60k for January. That is beyond horrible for a new console. Maybe the dinosaur (Nintendo) will get the hint and just exit the console business already. Yes, I said it.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by silbaco:

The Wii U had an estimated sales of between 50-60k for January. That is beyond horrible for a new console. Maybe the dinosaur (Nintendo) will get the hint and just exit the console business already. Yes, I said it.

That number is quite low. But compare the total number of Wii Us on the market to the same number of PS3s and 360s and Wiis on the market after their respective launches (all of which were in November of their respective years, so the length of time should be comparable:

»vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStati···_figures

»vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Wii

»vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Xbox_360

The Wii U is at around 3 million. The PS3 was at 3.6 million at the end of Quarter 3, which is about 1.5 months from now. The 360 was at 3.2. The original Wii did better than any of those.

"Sony expected to sell 6 million units by the fiscal year ending in March 2007.[17] Only 3.68 million were sold, falling short of that mark."

One valid argument might be that the 360 and PS3 weren't selling as many because they were harder to find I suppose, while the Wii U was easily attainable even in the throes of the holiday season. I sort of wonder if it's slightly a victim of its own availability in that respect. Because it's not sold out constantly, there's less buzz. There also haven't been any titles released since launch that would really help generate that buzz either.

I didn't find a month by month comparison, but it may be that everyone who *really* wanted the Wii U at launch or near it bought it already, while with the 360 and PS3 those sales may have been spread out more over that first two month period because of lack of availability. It'll be interesting to compare it all when the PS4 or next Xbox launches.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

Not to mention the original Wii retailed for cheaper than any of the other systems you mentioned, WiiU included, at launch, so a lot of ebay hambeasts then bought lots of them to turn around and sell for insane markups for holiday shopping ebay bids.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

1 recommendation

reply to Alpha Phoenix
My wife (whom I bought it for) and I haven't even touched our Wii U in over a month. They better start releasing some good games soon.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
said by sleuth:

My wife (whom I bought it for) and I haven't even touched our Wii U in over a month. They better start releasing some good games soon.

Games designed for the Wii, will work on the Wii U too...
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
said by aefstoggaflm:

said by sleuth:

Games designed for the Wii, will work on the Wii U too...

Well yeah, but those games have been around for a while. I can understand the desire for wanting more games designed for the system. My daughter is still interested in playing Mario and Nintendo Land, but she's also seven. Once I finish the challenge modes in Mario, I won't have much reason to play that since we already found all the star coins, secret exits, etc. and 5-starred the story mode. Funky Barn is fun, but the controls frustrate my impatient spawn and I don't always have the time to sit down and play with her. She'll appreciate that one more when she's a bit older.
--

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to sleuth
said by sleuth:

Same here. Frankly I'm disappointed in the games that are out for the Wii U. They pretty much suck for core gamers. I haven't touched my Wii U in over a month also.
--

bionicRod
Premium
united state

1 recommendation

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by sleuth:

Same here. Frankly I'm disappointed in the games that are out for the Wii U. They pretty much suck for core gamers. I haven't touched my Wii U in over a month also.

Wow I never thought I'd see you say that. I hate to say I told ya so on the games front, but you argued and argued with me. Just had to point that out.

Even though I knew this to be the case, I did end up buying a Wii U and we are enjoying it. It's in the bedroom and mostly gets used as a hd streaming option and for Nintendo Tvii which is largely useless without dvr inclusion but I like anyway. Super Mario U is fun and I like that I can play it on the controller with headphones while the missus watches whatever it is she watches...but it sucks as a core gaming machine due to lack of third party support and most likely always will. No surprise there. Exclusives don't sell as many copies as multiplats obviously, and ports will probably be different enough to code ,what with the inclusion of the touchscreen pad, that a majority of devs just won't bother.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
I didn't argue and argue with you. I'm saying that the games currently that are out for this 4 month old system suck. That doesn't mean that some seriously kick ass games won't be released in the upcoming future that will make this system a fantastic gaming experience, or that the overall gaming experience won't rise to meet or exceed my expectations.

Don't mix up the games that were released as launch titles, with the overall gaming experience and potential of a system. Historically, no real outstanding games have been released as launch titles for recent consoles. The exceptional games came later. (There might have been a few exceptions, depending on individual tastes.)
--

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

reply to bionicRod
said by bionicRod:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by sleuth:

Wow I never thought I'd see you say that. I hate to say I told ya so on the games front, but you argued and argued with me. Just had to point that out.

Even though I knew this to be the case, I did end up buying a Wii U and we are enjoying it. It's in the bedroom and mostly gets used as a hd streaming option and for Nintendo Tvii which is largely useless without dvr inclusion but I like anyway. Super Mario U is fun and I like that I can play it on the controller with headphones while the missus watches whatever it is she watches...but it sucks as a core gaming machine due to lack of third party support and most likely always will. No surprise there. Exclusives don't sell as many copies as multiplats obviously, and ports will probably be different enough to code ,what with the inclusion of the touchscreen pad, that a majority of devs just won't bother.

Congrats, you are right on a system that recently launched as having a low selection of games.

Just like the PS2, Xbox, PS3 (Unless you like Giant Enemy crabs....), 360, wii.......

Hell, aren't we still waiting for more good games on the PS vita then basically what is available on PSN plus for free?

bionicRod
Premium
united state
said by Metatron2008:

Congrats, you are right on a system that recently launched as having a low selection of games.

Just like the PS2, Xbox, PS3 (Unless you like Giant Enemy crabs....), 360, wii.......

Hell, aren't we still waiting for more good games on the PS vita then basically what is available on PSN plus for free?

Thanks! But, like the Wii, and UNLIKE all the other systems, core third party games are likely to stay virtually nonexistent on this console throughout its lifespan for the reasons I have outlined, keeping sales low, making sure third party games are likely to stay nonexistent on this console. It's a vicious cycle.

That said, I like the system. The touchpad is a neat little piece of hardware that I enjoy using. There will be a new Zelda and a new Metroid for the system eventually. I am not sorry I picked one up at all like I was with the Wii one month out. I'm just saying it will never be a core system that appeals to actual gamers until Nintendo starts focusing on games and enticing third party developers. Until then, it's a peripheral, which I'm fine with. I hope I'm wrong, time will tell.

Edited twice because it's too early to type.