Thorndale, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

danawhitaker to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco

Re: Wii U

said by silbaco:

The Wii U had an estimated sales of between 50-60k for January. That is beyond horrible for a new console. Maybe the dinosaur (Nintendo) will get the hint and just exit the console business already. Yes, I said it.

That number is quite low. But compare the total number of Wii Us on the market to the same number of PS3s and 360s and Wiis on the market after their respective launches (all of which were in November of their respective years, so the length of time should be comparable:

»vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/P ··· _figures

»vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Wii

»vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Xbox_360

The Wii U is at around 3 million. The PS3 was at 3.6 million at the end of Quarter 3, which is about 1.5 months from now. The 360 was at 3.2. The original Wii did better than any of those.

"Sony expected to sell 6 million units by the fiscal year ending in March 2007.[17] Only 3.68 million were sold, falling short of that mark."

One valid argument might be that the 360 and PS3 weren't selling as many because they were harder to find I suppose, while the Wii U was easily attainable even in the throes of the holiday season. I sort of wonder if it's slightly a victim of its own availability in that respect. Because it's not sold out constantly, there's less buzz. There also haven't been any titles released since launch that would really help generate that buzz either.

I didn't find a month by month comparison, but it may be that everyone who *really* wanted the Wii U at launch or near it bought it already, while with the 360 and PS3 those sales may have been spread out more over that first two month period because of lack of availability. It'll be interesting to compare it all when the PS4 or next Xbox launches.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Not to mention the original Wii retailed for cheaper than any of the other systems you mentioned, WiiU included, at launch, so a lot of ebay hambeasts then bought lots of them to turn around and sell for insane markups for holiday shopping ebay bids.

sleuth3
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

1 recommendation

sleuth3 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
My wife (whom I bought it for) and I haven't even touched our Wii U in over a month. They better start releasing some good games soon.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by sleuth3:

My wife (whom I bought it for) and I haven't even touched our Wii U in over a month. They better start releasing some good games soon.

Games designed for the Wii, will work on the Wii U too...

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by aefstoggaflm:

said by sleuth3:

Games designed for the Wii, will work on the Wii U too...

Well yeah, but those games have been around for a while. I can understand the desire for wanting more games designed for the system. My daughter is still interested in playing Mario and Nintendo Land, but she's also seven. Once I finish the challenge modes in Mario, I won't have much reason to play that since we already found all the star coins, secret exits, etc. and 5-starred the story mode. Funky Barn is fun, but the controls frustrate my impatient spawn and I don't always have the time to sit down and play with her. She'll appreciate that one more when she's a bit older.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to sleuth3

Premium Member

to sleuth3
said by sleuth3:

Same here. Frankly I'm disappointed in the games that are out for the Wii U. They pretty much suck for core gamers. I haven't touched my Wii U in over a month also.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 recommendation

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by sleuth3:

Same here. Frankly I'm disappointed in the games that are out for the Wii U. They pretty much suck for core gamers. I haven't touched my Wii U in over a month also.

Wow I never thought I'd see you say that. I hate to say I told ya so on the games front, but you argued and argued with me. Just had to point that out.

Even though I knew this to be the case, I did end up buying a Wii U and we are enjoying it. It's in the bedroom and mostly gets used as a hd streaming option and for Nintendo Tvii which is largely useless without dvr inclusion but I like anyway. Super Mario U is fun and I like that I can play it on the controller with headphones while the missus watches whatever it is she watches...but it sucks as a core gaming machine due to lack of third party support and most likely always will. No surprise there. Exclusives don't sell as many copies as multiplats obviously, and ports will probably be different enough to code ,what with the inclusion of the touchscreen pad, that a majority of devs just won't bother.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

I didn't argue and argue with you. I'm saying that the games currently that are out for this 4 month old system suck. That doesn't mean that some seriously kick ass games won't be released in the upcoming future that will make this system a fantastic gaming experience, or that the overall gaming experience won't rise to meet or exceed my expectations.

Don't mix up the games that were released as launch titles, with the overall gaming experience and potential of a system. Historically, no real outstanding games have been released as launch titles for recent consoles. The exceptional games came later. (There might have been a few exceptions, depending on individual tastes.)

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

Metatron2008 to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by sleuth3:

Wow I never thought I'd see you say that. I hate to say I told ya so on the games front, but you argued and argued with me. Just had to point that out.

Even though I knew this to be the case, I did end up buying a Wii U and we are enjoying it. It's in the bedroom and mostly gets used as a hd streaming option and for Nintendo Tvii which is largely useless without dvr inclusion but I like anyway. Super Mario U is fun and I like that I can play it on the controller with headphones while the missus watches whatever it is she watches...but it sucks as a core gaming machine due to lack of third party support and most likely always will. No surprise there. Exclusives don't sell as many copies as multiplats obviously, and ports will probably be different enough to code ,what with the inclusion of the touchscreen pad, that a majority of devs just won't bother.

Congrats, you are right on a system that recently launched as having a low selection of games.

Just like the PS2, Xbox, PS3 (Unless you like Giant Enemy crabs....), 360, wii.......

Hell, aren't we still waiting for more good games on the PS vita then basically what is available on PSN plus for free?

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Metatron2008:

Congrats, you are right on a system that recently launched as having a low selection of games.

Just like the PS2, Xbox, PS3 (Unless you like Giant Enemy crabs....), 360, wii.......

Hell, aren't we still waiting for more good games on the PS vita then basically what is available on PSN plus for free?

Thanks! But, like the Wii, and UNLIKE all the other systems, core third party games are likely to stay virtually nonexistent on this console throughout its lifespan for the reasons I have outlined, keeping sales low, making sure third party games are likely to stay nonexistent on this console. It's a vicious cycle.

That said, I like the system. The touchpad is a neat little piece of hardware that I enjoy using. There will be a new Zelda and a new Metroid for the system eventually. I am not sorry I picked one up at all like I was with the Wii one month out. I'm just saying it will never be a core system that appeals to actual gamers until Nintendo starts focusing on games and enticing third party developers. Until then, it's a peripheral, which I'm fine with. I hope I'm wrong, time will tell.

Edited twice because it's too early to type.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by TheBionic:

said by Metatron2008:

Thanks! But, like the Wii, and UNLIKE all the other systems, core third party games are likely to stay virtually nonexistent on this console throughout its lifespan for the reasons I have outlined, keeping sales low, making sure third party games are likely to stay nonexistent on this console. It's a vicious cycle.

That said, I like the system. The touchpad is a neat little piece of hardware that I enjoy using. There will be a new Zelda and a new Metroid for the system eventually. I am not sorry I picked one up at all like I was with the Wii one month out. I'm just saying it will never be a core system that appeals to actual gamers until Nintendo starts focusing on games and enticing third party developers. Until then, it's a peripheral, which I'm fine with. I hope I'm wrong, time will tell.

Edited twice because it's too early to type.

You apparently must have not read ANY of the multiple links posted in this thread stating that third party development was going to be a major component of this system, as well as more mature games for core gamers.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I read them. Gearbox said Aliens: Colonial Marines would be an awesome game that would revolutionize first person shooters and would be an awesome addition to Alien canon. Donald Trump said he had earthshattering news that would really "shake up" the Presidential election. People make all sorts of claims when they're trying to sell you something. It doesn't make them true. Again, I'm from Missouri. Show me.

And again, I hope I'm wrong. I like the system. But common sense, and the lack of announced games since launch (the summer of Luigi...gimme a break) says it's going to be the Wii all over again. If you can refute any of my points from previous posts with anything besides "...but they SAID there would be third party support", then please do so. Show me what I'm missing here.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
I had a Wii and it was fun for a little while. I think the most enjoyable game I played was Animal Crossing. I sold it. I won't be getting a Wii U. My cousin got one when it first came out. The last time I was around his place I played it and did not find it fun. That control is too large. You could murder someone with that control, that is how large it is, and also having to look on the control during some of the game play is very distracting. Maybe I have just gotten to use to keyboards and mice. That's my two cents on the matter.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium Member
join:2007-09-14
USA

ebgbjo to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Avengers, Wipe Out and Mario still get played a lot here. Pick up Lego City: Undercover on the 18th and know that is going to get a lot of game time

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Has anyone even seen a commercial for this? I've not seen one, but then again, I don't recall ever seeing one for the Wii either.

I guess I'm just curious how the big N is promoting this system and software?

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by captokita:

Has anyone even seen a commercial for this? I've not seen one, but then again, I don't recall ever seeing one for the Wii either.

I saw some commercials right before the holidays, but I haven't seen any since then. Then again, I don't pay too close of attention to commercials. Stuff for games usually draws my attention though.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
said by captokita:

Yeah, the commercials for the Wii U were all over TV before the system launch, and before the holidays. Haven't seen them since tho.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by captokita:

Yeah, the commercials for the Wii U were all over TV before the system launch, and before the holidays. Haven't seen them since tho.

When I went to see skyfall they had a Wii U advert but yeah you are right hardly much seen after the launch.

monchis
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09

1 recommendation

monchis to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
I think I didn't touch my wii u for a month+ until monday I believe.

Also I bought zombii u and played it for 1h our and never again. Anyone want to buy it lolz.

I regret purchasing my wii u but I have an itch for owning anything new.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Give zombiu a chance, it's amazing.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to monchis

Premium Member

to monchis
said by monchis:

I think I didn't touch my wii u for a month+ until monday I believe.

Also I bought zombii u and played it for 1h our and never again. Anyone want to buy it lolz.

I regret purchasing my wii u but I have an itch for owning anything new.

I'm in EXACTLY the same boat as you.
Gandalf4503
join:2002-06-27
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503 to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix
I will probably get a wii u when it's cheap (probably a used one) for monolith's next game. My wii has been collecting dust for 3 years, so I expect the wii u to do the same, so I might as well get it for as cheap as possible so that once I've played what I wanted to play I won't feel guilty about not using it.

sleuth3
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

sleuth3 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Nintendo TVii, at this stage, is pretty useless.

However, I've been using the Wii U to stream Netflix and Hulu Plus. The touchscreen makes navigating those apps really easy. Worth $350 for that purpose? Hell no.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

1 recommendation

Subaru to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
What's sad is how the Wii had good sales but this is not that great from I hear at all..

What's the biggest downfall in the wii U?

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

What's sad is how the Wii had good sales but this is not that great from I hear at all..

The Wii U has great potential, but it's the lack of really great 3rd party games right now. Nintendo swore up and down that they would be working with 3rd party developers to bring more mature games for mature, core gamers, so I'm still holding out hope for that, but their launch titles didn't reflect any of that. Their launch titles pretty much suck. I'm so over Mario, I'm not 10 any more. I want some really great 3rd party games. Bring them out now, and the Wii U will see a significant improvement in the perception people have of it, and in its sales.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by Subaru:

The Wii U has great potential, but it's the lack of really great 3rd party games right now. Nintendo swore up and down that they would be working with 3rd party developers to bring more mature games for mature, core gamers, so I'm still holding out hope for that, but their launch titles didn't reflect any of that. Their launch titles pretty much suck. I'm so over Mario, I'm not 10 any more. I want some really great 3rd party games. Bring them out now, and the Wii U will see a significant improvement in the perception people have of it, and in its sales.

I think with the game cube they wanted to try to bring more mature games to that platform as well right? That's the sucky part because when someone says Nintendo first thing they think of is Mario

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by Subaru:

I think with the game cube they wanted to try to bring more mature games to that platform as well right? That's the sucky part because when someone says Nintendo first thing they think of is Mario

And as a 31 year old gamer, I ask, what the heck is wrong with Mario?

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

said by danawhitaker:

And as a 31 year old gamer, I ask, what the heck is wrong with Mario?

It ignores games like:
•No More Heroes
•Madworld
•Killer 7
•Ikaruga
•The proper release of RE4 + RE 0 + the REmakes

It's like how no-talent hacks like Bieber, Micki Minaj and Lil' Wayne basically dominate the radio play time even though the majority know there are much more talented artists out there. Their dominance in the public eye clouds people's ability to find the true, worthy gems in the scene.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I think with the game cube they wanted to try to bring more mature games to that platform as well right?

I don't recall them ever advertising more mature games for the GameCube. I always saw that more of a PG type gaming system.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium Member
join:2007-09-14
USA

ebgbjo to danawhitaker

Premium Member

to danawhitaker
Nothing! I love Mario. Then again, I am almost 35