uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to ptrowski

Re: Wii U

said by ptrowski:

Remember when people predicted the Wii would fail? Me too. It didn't. You keep mentioning serious gamers, but don't forget the huge market of people who aren't. Overall the wii can be a fun console, and to have it upgraded with better graphics etc will be nice.

It sold because it had a gimmicky controller and much lower price than the PS3 and XBOX 360. The WiiU will NOT be lower than these 2 and no one cares about this new gimmick they have. And their old gimmick is incorporated in the 360 and PS3.

If you look at an apples to apples comparison the WiiU will sell less units than the 360 or PS3 which is the consoles it should be compared too. I'm sick of people comparing Wii sales to PS3 and 360 when the Wii was a glorified PS2/Xbox.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

1 recommendation

It sold because Nintendo has a huge following. It sold because anyone of any age group or ability could play and they have a good catalog of games anyone can play. It's compared with the others because it is the next gen console from Nintendo at the time. It's not in the same realm of the PS3 and Xbox360, no one is doubting that. But to say it was a gimmick is just ignorant.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Alpha Phoenix
The Wii may have sold well, but the game sales have been nothing short of disappointing. Especially in the US. A look in the top 25 best selling console games right now and you will see the only Wii games that chart are either created by Nintendo or have the vast majority of the sales overseas. The 3DS has a nearly identical situation, except the hardware sales are equally as disappointing.

Nintendo just doesn't get it anymore. In an attempt to be innovative, they are losing their edge. The Wii's online capabilities have been nothing short of crap in every way, and this is without a doubt the biggest driving factor of gaming in the US. My Dreamcast could do more online and that isn't a joke. Nintendo just keeps dropping the ball and spends more time trying to outlaw the sale of used games than they do fixing what is clearly broken.

I predict the Wii U will be a complete failure. Not even Mario can keep it afloat.

Morfein

join:2004-09-08
Avon, IN
reply to Silvanos
said by Silvanos:

I hope my kids don't want this.

I'm with ya....

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

This will be fail. Serious gamers already are on XBOX 360, PS3 or PC.

LOL, same words were spoken about the original Wii. We all see how that turned out.

Lets not even discuss their handheld units, which completely dominate the competition.

You seem to have an agenda against the Wii for some reason? Are you butthurt because a system with inferior graphics has sold a huge amount of more units worldwide compared to your Xbox?

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

If you look at an apples to apples comparison the WiiU will sell less units than the 360 or PS3 which is the consoles it should be compared too. I'm sick of people comparing Wii sales to PS3 and 360 when the Wii was a glorified PS2/Xbox.

Why would/should the WiiU be compared to the PS3 or 360? The original Wii released in that generation.

The Game Cube was the comparable system to the PS2/Xbox. You're not making much sense.

Premium
West Tenness
said by Ghastlyone:

said by 88615298:

Why would/should the WiiU be compared to the PS3 or 360? The original Wii released in that generation.

The Game Cube was the comparable system to the PS2/Xbox. You're not making much sense.

I don't care WHEN a system was released it's by SPECS in my book. If a retro ColecoVision was released and sold 100 million units it is #1 now because it sold the most of "this generation" Um no. Like I said, in MY book and to me that's the only book that matters.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
According to leaked Wii U specs, I'm gonna assume that the wii u will be the Dreamcast of the next gen: An obvious upgrade from the last gen, but also less powerful then the others of the newer, yet able to hold it's own.

It's not gonna be known as part of the ps3/360 gen.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by Ghastlyone:

said by 88615298:

I don't care WHEN a system was released it's by SPECS in my book. If a retro ColecoVision was released and sold 100 million units it is #1 now because it sold the most of "this generation" Um no. Like I said, in MY book and to me that's the only book that matters.

So if it's all about specs in "your book", you should be posting in the PC gaming forum more often then you do. Guess not.

Yet again. You make no sense.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by Ghastlyone:

said by 88615298:

Your book and to you, never truer words spoken. All the consoles have their strengths and weaknesses. I personally have a 360 and a Wii, I'd have a PS3 but there's so much stuff released cross-console now and not enough "Must Have" PS3 games for me that I can't justify the cost of one yet. My daughter loves the Wii, I love the Wii, I know a lot of families that have them. Even though it's not a "hardcore" gaming machine, it's fun. I mean really, how hardcore was an NES back in the day? Or an SNES?

I think the Wii U will probably do fine. I may not buy one right out the gate, but that's not necessarily for lack of wanting one. Sometimes other things take financial priority. I remember the Wii getting mocked a lot - heck, I remember mocking the Wii, before I had a chance to use one. Out of the three "current" generation systems, it's probably the one I have the most fun with. At least it's not always trying to nickel and dime me like all the "Xbox Live Gold only" features Microsoft keeps shoving out there.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Alpha Phoenix
So the "Basic" version, has 8GB memory, and comes with the console, controller, HDMI cable, sensor bar, and AC Adapter. $299

The "Deluxe" version has 32GB memory, and comes with the console, controller, HDMI cable, sensor bar, AC adapter, and gamepad charging cradle. (seriously? This should be included in BOTH versions!), a stand for everything, and a copy of Nintendo Land. $349.

So obviously, the $50 more is a far better deal.

Will I get it? Don't know, Nintendo does a good job making games fun to play, and that's what they're going for again here. Time will tell how well it will do. I'm sure it will sell well at launch, and they will likely have limited numbers at launch to drive the demand for it further.

Oh, and it releases on 11/18.

»www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/13/···nnounced

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to Alpha Phoenix
Definitely won't be picking this up at launch, but will be keeping an eye on it. To continue a theme here, in MY book it's not the specs or the company; it's the games. The Wii just didn't deliver enough on that front to keep me interested (plus lack of HD and online were big turnoffs but have been rectified with the WiiU). First party Nintendo titles won't justify a $350 price tag for me personally, so I'll wait to see if third parties embrace the system more.

That said, I think it could be 2014 or 15 before MS and Sony release their next gen machines, so the WiiU will have the new console market to themselves for a while. Which can only be good for them.

Oh and whoever asked...the NES and SNES were and are pretty damned hardcore.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to captokita
said by captokita:

So the "Basic" version, has 8GB memory, and comes with the console, controller, HDMI cable, sensor bar, and AC Adapter. $299

The "Deluxe" version has 32GB memory, and comes with the console, controller, HDMI cable, sensor bar, AC adapter, and gamepad charging cradle. (seriously? This should be included in BOTH versions!), a stand for everything, and a copy of Nintendo Land. $349.

Will I get it? Don't know, Nintendo does a good job making games fun to play, and that's what they're going for again here. Time will tell how well it will do. I'm sure it will sell well at launch, and they will likely have limited numbers at launch to drive the demand for it further.

As I said FAIL. 8 GB? Hell 32 GB? That's not enough space for storage. Unless you're a Mario or Zelda fan I guess other than that it's fail. For $250 I can get a PS3 with 160 GB. Oh and it plays blu-rays.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to bionicRod
said by bionicRod:

That said, I think it could be 2014 or 15 before MS and Sony release their next gen machines,

What cave have you've been in? Christmas 2013 is when they will be released.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL
reply to 88615298
The storage doesn't matter that much. It is just like the Wii. the storage is only for save games and settings. "Wii U uses an internal flash memory (8 GB with the Basic Set; 32 GB with the Deluxe Set) for data storage. It also supports SDHC memory cards and external USB storage."

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by bionicRod:

That said, I think it could be 2014 or 15 before MS and Sony release their next gen machines,

Lol. Even if true (and there's been no official announcement, let alone an official release date) that's a whole two weeks before "2014". Ya got me!

Premium
West Tenness
reply to fnord76
said by fnord76:

The storage doesn't matter that much. It is just like the Wii. the storage is only for save games and settings. "Wii U uses an internal flash memory (8 GB with the Basic Set; 32 GB with the Deluxe Set) for data storage. It also supports SDHC memory cards and external USB storage."

ever hear of DLC? Yes SDHC and extrenal storage. And that costs extra you know. So in reality by the time the average family buys a second contoller an adequate storage you're talking $500 for this thing.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to bionicRod
said by bionicRod:

said by 88615298:

said by bionicRod:

Lol. Even if true (and there's been no official announcement, let alone an official release date) that's a whole two weeks before "2014". Ya got me!

I believe you also stated 2015. When I say Christmas 2013 I don't mean Dec 24 and you know that. Much like the wii, wiiU and the 360 and PS3, the new ones will be released in mid November so that woud be 6 weeks not 2 weeks. And when you said 2014 I HIGHLY doubt you meant Jan 1st. What would be the point of releasing a console so soon AFTER x-mas? So you REALY meant later in 2014. We all know these thigns come out in late fall. So please don't try to make yourself look better we all know what you meant. You meant fall 2014. If not then your prediction was EXTREMELY dumb to think a console woud be released in January, AFTER Christmas. So did you mean fall 2014 or were you making an EXTREMELY dumb prediction. Please clarify. It's one or the other.

Anyways E3 2013 is 9 months away if one or both were coming out in fall 2013 they would announce it then. So in 9 months if I'm wrong I'll ban myself from this forum for 5 years. You willing to take the same bet?

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Alpha Phoenix
MORE WiiU FAIL!

Second Wii U GamePad won't be supported or priced at launch in U.S.

»www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/1···/3086381

WiiU - Invite your friends over to WATCH you play!

WiiU - Fun for the whole family! Just only one at a time!

WiiU - Great for those that live alone and have no friends!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to Alpha Phoenix
I'm curious when the other game systems lunch I wonder what they will price them at.. I think it's going to be harder to try and sell a $600 console in this market today then back in 2006.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL

1 edit
reply to 88615298
That is hateful. Are you sore at Nintendo for kicking your dog or something? I have several SDHC cards laying around from my camera and they are so cheap it would not be much of a hit to get that expaneded. Also, there are no WiiU titles at launch that support more than one WiiU gamepads according to the article you provided us. If you look at the specs and info on the system and games, you are able to use your WiiMotes and Nunchucks with the system and can even have 5 people playing with the WiiU Gamepad and old controllers. Once again, not a big deal. I still won't pick one up for the same reason I didn't pick up a 360 or PS3. Anything over $150 is too expensive.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

MORE WiiU FAIL!

I don't know why - nor do I care really - you don't like Nintendo, I don't own a 360 yet I'm happy if people think it's the best system out there. I'm perfectly happy with my PS3, and also perfectly happy with my Wii. I also think I'd be perfectly happy with a Wii-u if I bought one, as it also would do what I want it to do, play fun games. Why that fact is lost on some so they have to try to find fault with the company that "isn't their favorite" is beyond me.

That said, I would agree I don't know why they wouldn't offer a 2nd controller at launch, but on top of that, why it doesn't include a nunchuck at least as a 2nd controller. Ok, I KNOW why, so you'll BUY one of course, but including one would go far to bring the either Wii owners, or the Wii holdouts to buy one, as that library can serve as a buffer to the newer Wii-u games. And before someone brings up "Wii owners have a nunchuck!" let me add that not all wii owners have the NEWER nunchuck - the one Zelda requires.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

I believe you also stated 2015. When I say Christmas 2013 I don't mean Dec 24 and you know that. Much like the wii, wiiU and the 360 and PS3, the new ones will be released in mid November so that woud be 6 weeks not 2 weeks. And when you said 2014 I HIGHLY doubt you meant Jan 1st. What would be the point of releasing a console so soon AFTER x-mas? So you REALY meant later in 2014. We all know these thigns come out in late fall. So please don't try to make yourself look better we all know what you meant. You meant fall 2014. If not then your prediction was EXTREMELY dumb to think a console woud be released in January, AFTER Christmas. So did you mean fall 2014 or were you making an EXTREMELY dumb prediction. Please clarify. It's one or the other.

Anyways E3 2013 is 9 months away if one or both were coming out in fall 2013 they would announce it then. So in 9 months if I'm wrong I'll ban myself from this forum for 5 years. You willing to take the same bet?

Lol. I'm not trying "to make myself look better" because I don't base my self worth off of anonymous internet posts. The next gen Microsoft and Sony consoles haven't even been announced yet. You're basing your prediction on internet rumor and being needlessly aggressive about it. Chill out, your blood pressure will thank you.

Anyway, my point stands. Even IF both the XBox 720 and PS4 are both on shelves "Christmas 2013", which is a big if IMO but it could happen, the Wii U will still have about a year to itself on the market. That can only be good for Nintendo.
Expand your moderator at work

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to bionicRod

Re: Wii U

said by bionicRod:

To continue a theme here, in MY book it's not the specs or the company; it's the games. The Wii just didn't deliver enough on that front to keep me interested (plus lack of HD and online were big turnoffs but have been rectified with the WiiU). First party Nintendo titles won't justify a $350 price tag for me personally, so I'll wait to see if third parties embrace the system more.

Did you read the portion of my initial post where I posted...

said by en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games :

Games that I saw on that list that look like they are for more serious gamers include:

New Super Mario Bros U
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Darksiders II
Assassin's Creed III
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Mass Effect 3
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
ZombiU
Untitled Battlefield
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Sacrilegium
Untitled The Legend of Zelda

I'm sure much more games for serious gamers will join that list as the release date gets closer.

There are tons more games on this page: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games

and Nintendo has already announced that they are having legions of 3rd party developers and studios creating HD games for more serious gamers, as well as the fun family friendly ones as well.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

bionicRod
Premium
united state
said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by bionicRod:

To continue a theme here, in MY book it's not the specs or the company; it's the games. The Wii just didn't deliver enough on that front to keep me interested (plus lack of HD and online were big turnoffs but have been rectified with the WiiU). First party Nintendo titles won't justify a $350 price tag for me personally, so I'll wait to see if third parties embrace the system more.

Did you read the portion of my initial post where I posted...

said by en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games :

Games that I saw on that list that look like they are for more serious gamers include:

New Super Mario Bros U
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Darksiders II
Assassin's Creed III
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Mass Effect 3
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
ZombiU
Untitled Battlefield
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Sacrilegium
Untitled The Legend of Zelda

I'm sure much more games for serious gamers will join that list as the release date gets closer.

There are tons more games on this page: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games

and Nintendo has already announced that they are having legions of 3rd party developers and studios creating HD games for more serious gamers, as well as the fun family friendly ones as well.

Some of those are Nintendo first party, some are games that have already been out for a while. Most of the other ten or so will also be on the XBox 360 and PS3, which I already own. I'll see if third parties continue to develop for the system, multiplats as well as exclusives, in a couple years' time before I decide to buy. Once bitten twice shy I guess.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Alpha Phoenix
Interesting how my post which wasn't trolling, flaming, or personally attacking 88615298 See Profile was reported and modded, when all I did was ask him why post in here if all he wants to do is bash the Wii U and clearly doesn't like it, and is just bringing down the energy of this thread for everyone else....

Seems like whomever reported that innocent post, has VERY thin skin.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA

2 recommendations

reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by captokita:

As I said FAIL. 8 GB? Hell 32 GB? That's not enough space for storage. Unless you're a Mario or Zelda fan I guess other than that it's fail. For $250 I can get a PS3 with 160 GB. Oh and it plays blu-rays.

Remember when the PS3 launched and the 20 gig model was $500? The 60 gig was more. The 32 gig Wii U model is $350. You're comparing a console that's launched multiple versions over many years now and is near the end of its lifecycle to a console that's brand new. Imagine how much a 160 gb version of the PS3 would have cost you if they had launched with one.

The original 20 gig version of the Xbox 360 sold for $400, while the cheaper $300 version didn't even *HAVE* a hard drive. Microsoft is now selling a 4 gig version of their console, which is only half the size of the cheapest Wii U. My current 360 has a 20 gig hard drive, which I've noticed is making some awesome noises lately and has me paranoid about backing up my games. It can take USB memory, but only up to 16 gigs (unless something's changed) so I'd need multiple devices to get to the 32 gig capacity of the new Wii U or I'd need to cough up for a new hard drive.

I'm not impressed with the fact that the PS3 is still $250 almost six years after launch, either. I'd gladly take a 20 gig PS3 model for $150 or $200 over the ginormous hard drive I'd never use. Some of us don't want or need downloadable games/content. If I want that, I'll play my PC games. I just need enough space to save my games.

Until we know what the next generation of the Playstation and the Xbox will have in terms of specs, it's a pointless argument anyway. I saw rumors tonight that Sony is considering launching yet another iteration of the PS3 in October to compete with the Wii U. It's rumored to move to 12 gigs of internal flash rather than a hard drive. Are you planning to flame them for the small size they're going to be offering? Or is that okay because it's Sony?
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Alpha Phoenix
Yeah I heard about the Sony Super Slim.. But it would be really interesting to see what Sony would place the next PS4 at price wise, unless they want to hand it over to nintendo again.