Elder God
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to 88615298

Re: Wii U

That is hateful. Are you sore at Nintendo for kicking your dog or something? I have several SDHC cards laying around from my camera and they are so cheap it would not be much of a hit to get that expaneded. Also, there are no WiiU titles at launch that support more than one WiiU gamepads according to the article you provided us. If you look at the specs and info on the system and games, you are able to use your WiiMotes and Nunchucks with the system and can even have 5 people playing with the WiiU Gamepad and old controllers. Once again, not a big deal. I still won't pick one up for the same reason I didn't pick up a 360 or PS3. Anything over $150 is too expensive.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

MORE WiiU FAIL!

I don't know why - nor do I care really - you don't like Nintendo, I don't own a 360 yet I'm happy if people think it's the best system out there. I'm perfectly happy with my PS3, and also perfectly happy with my Wii. I also think I'd be perfectly happy with a Wii-u if I bought one, as it also would do what I want it to do, play fun games. Why that fact is lost on some so they have to try to find fault with the company that "isn't their favorite" is beyond me.

That said, I would agree I don't know why they wouldn't offer a 2nd controller at launch, but on top of that, why it doesn't include a nunchuck at least as a 2nd controller. Ok, I KNOW why, so you'll BUY one of course, but including one would go far to bring the either Wii owners, or the Wii holdouts to buy one, as that library can serve as a buffer to the newer Wii-u games. And before someone brings up "Wii owners have a nunchuck!" let me add that not all wii owners have the NEWER nunchuck - the one Zelda requires.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

I believe you also stated 2015. When I say Christmas 2013 I don't mean Dec 24 and you know that. Much like the wii, wiiU and the 360 and PS3, the new ones will be released in mid November so that woud be 6 weeks not 2 weeks. And when you said 2014 I HIGHLY doubt you meant Jan 1st. What would be the point of releasing a console so soon AFTER x-mas? So you REALY meant later in 2014. We all know these thigns come out in late fall. So please don't try to make yourself look better we all know what you meant. You meant fall 2014. If not then your prediction was EXTREMELY dumb to think a console woud be released in January, AFTER Christmas. So did you mean fall 2014 or were you making an EXTREMELY dumb prediction. Please clarify. It's one or the other.

Anyways E3 2013 is 9 months away if one or both were coming out in fall 2013 they would announce it then. So in 9 months if I'm wrong I'll ban myself from this forum for 5 years. You willing to take the same bet?

Lol. I'm not trying "to make myself look better" because I don't base my self worth off of anonymous internet posts. The next gen Microsoft and Sony consoles haven't even been announced yet. You're basing your prediction on internet rumor and being needlessly aggressive about it. Chill out, your blood pressure will thank you.

Anyway, my point stands. Even IF both the XBox 720 and PS4 are both on shelves "Christmas 2013", which is a big if IMO but it could happen, the Wii U will still have about a year to itself on the market. That can only be good for Nintendo.
Expand your moderator at work

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1
reply to bionicRod

Re: Wii U

said by bionicRod:

To continue a theme here, in MY book it's not the specs or the company; it's the games. The Wii just didn't deliver enough on that front to keep me interested (plus lack of HD and online were big turnoffs but have been rectified with the WiiU). First party Nintendo titles won't justify a $350 price tag for me personally, so I'll wait to see if third parties embrace the system more.

Did you read the portion of my initial post where I posted...

said by en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games :

Games that I saw on that list that look like they are for more serious gamers include:

New Super Mario Bros U
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Darksiders II
Assassin's Creed III
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Mass Effect 3
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
ZombiU
Untitled Battlefield
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Sacrilegium
Untitled The Legend of Zelda

I'm sure much more games for serious gamers will join that list as the release date gets closer.

There are tons more games on this page: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games

and Nintendo has already announced that they are having legions of 3rd party developers and studios creating HD games for more serious gamers, as well as the fun family friendly ones as well.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

bionicRod
Premium
united state
said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by bionicRod:

To continue a theme here, in MY book it's not the specs or the company; it's the games. The Wii just didn't deliver enough on that front to keep me interested (plus lack of HD and online were big turnoffs but have been rectified with the WiiU). First party Nintendo titles won't justify a $350 price tag for me personally, so I'll wait to see if third parties embrace the system more.

Did you read the portion of my initial post where I posted...

said by en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games :

Games that I saw on that list that look like they are for more serious gamers include:

New Super Mario Bros U
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Darksiders II
Assassin's Creed III
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Mass Effect 3
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
ZombiU
Untitled Battlefield
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Sacrilegium
Untitled The Legend of Zelda

I'm sure much more games for serious gamers will join that list as the release date gets closer.

There are tons more games on this page: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games

and Nintendo has already announced that they are having legions of 3rd party developers and studios creating HD games for more serious gamers, as well as the fun family friendly ones as well.

Some of those are Nintendo first party, some are games that have already been out for a while. Most of the other ten or so will also be on the XBox 360 and PS3, which I already own. I'll see if third parties continue to develop for the system, multiplats as well as exclusives, in a couple years' time before I decide to buy. Once bitten twice shy I guess.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Alpha Phoenix
Interesting how my post which wasn't trolling, flaming, or personally attacking 88615298 See Profile was reported and modded, when all I did was ask him why post in here if all he wants to do is bash the Wii U and clearly doesn't like it, and is just bringing down the energy of this thread for everyone else....

Seems like whomever reported that innocent post, has VERY thin skin.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA

2 recommendations

reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by captokita:

So the "Basic" version, has 8GB memory, and comes with the console, controller, HDMI cable, sensor bar, and AC Adapter. $299

The "Deluxe" version has 32GB memory, and comes with the console, controller, HDMI cable, sensor bar, AC adapter, and gamepad charging cradle. (seriously? This should be included in BOTH versions!), a stand for everything, and a copy of Nintendo Land. $349.

So obviously, the $50 more is a far better deal.

Will I get it? Don't know, Nintendo does a good job making games fun to play, and that's what they're going for again here. Time will tell how well it will do. I'm sure it will sell well at launch, and they will likely have limited numbers at launch to drive the demand for it further.

Oh, and it releases on 11/18.

»www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/13/···nnounced

As I said FAIL. 8 GB? Hell 32 GB? That's not enough space for storage. Unless you're a Mario or Zelda fan I guess other than that it's fail. For $250 I can get a PS3 with 160 GB. Oh and it plays blu-rays.

Remember when the PS3 launched and the 20 gig model was $500? The 60 gig was more. The 32 gig Wii U model is $350. You're comparing a console that's launched multiple versions over many years now and is near the end of its lifecycle to a console that's brand new. Imagine how much a 160 gb version of the PS3 would have cost you if they had launched with one.

The original 20 gig version of the Xbox 360 sold for $400, while the cheaper $300 version didn't even *HAVE* a hard drive. Microsoft is now selling a 4 gig version of their console, which is only half the size of the cheapest Wii U. My current 360 has a 20 gig hard drive, which I've noticed is making some awesome noises lately and has me paranoid about backing up my games. It can take USB memory, but only up to 16 gigs (unless something's changed) so I'd need multiple devices to get to the 32 gig capacity of the new Wii U or I'd need to cough up for a new hard drive.

I'm not impressed with the fact that the PS3 is still $250 almost six years after launch, either. I'd gladly take a 20 gig PS3 model for $150 or $200 over the ginormous hard drive I'd never use. Some of us don't want or need downloadable games/content. If I want that, I'll play my PC games. I just need enough space to save my games.

Until we know what the next generation of the Playstation and the Xbox will have in terms of specs, it's a pointless argument anyway. I saw rumors tonight that Sony is considering launching yet another iteration of the PS3 in October to compete with the Wii U. It's rumored to move to 12 gigs of internal flash rather than a hard drive. Are you planning to flame them for the small size they're going to be offering? Or is that okay because it's Sony?
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Alpha Phoenix
Yeah I heard about the Sony Super Slim.. But it would be really interesting to see what Sony would place the next PS4 at price wise, unless they want to hand it over to nintendo again.

netsurfer1

join:2012-04-13
Atlanta, GA
reply to Alpha Phoenix
This is cool! Mario is still my favorite game. But I guess, I still need to read more reviews about this before buying it.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Alpha Phoenix
Wii U is not for me

Kulldar
Premium
join:2008-11-11
Warren, MI
reply to Alpha Phoenix
Last night I decided to pre-order this thing. The deluxe bundle is sold out everywhere, Toys R Us, Best Buy, Gamestop... I'm thinking this is going to be the Wii launch all over again. When I checked Amazon I noticed a couple asshats already trying to sell the Wii U basic bundle for $600.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY
reply to Alpha Phoenix
I pre ordered it as well, just in case my kids want the thing.
--
Any it new they in one. You here for mine you here.
-JV

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to Alpha Phoenix
Interesting how they went for small controllers and motion detection, back to using controllers.

Was motion detection/Body as the controller just a fad?
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to 88615298
quote:
Also doesn't play Blu-ray or DVDs.

People still buy Blue-ray/DVDs?

But you still have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu, youtube streaming services.
But I agree, not being able to play physical media could be a bother for some.

Though with the SD card slot, one could always rip their DVDs and put them on a SD card. Then use that to play on the Wii U[If the Wii U can play that file format].
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Was motion detection/Body as the controller just a fad?

The Wii-u remote is fully motion sensitive, and the console has a sensor bar just as the Wii has, though I think I read it's more accurate/sensitive. So no, it's not just a fad, but even if it were, it worked right? That's why XBOX and PS3 came out with their own motion stuff too.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Kulldar
said by Kulldar:

Last night I decided to pre-order this thing. The deluxe bundle is sold out everywhere, Toys R Us, Best Buy, Gamestop... I'm thinking this is going to be the Wii launch all over again. When I checked Amazon I noticed a couple asshats already trying to sell the Wii U basic bundle for $600.

I went to Nintendo World today and the deluxe bundle is even sold out there!!! »/r0/download/1···_ani.gif
--

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

quote:
Also doesn't play Blu-ray or DVDs.

People still buy Blue-ray/DVDs?

But you still have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu, youtube streaming services.
But I agree, not being able to play physical media could be a bother for some.

Though with the SD card slot, one could always rip their DVDs and put them on a SD card. Then use that to play on the Wii U[If the Wii U can play that file format].

Considering the amount of bandwidth HD video content eats up, and the fact that more and more ISPs (my own included) are starting to throw down the cap gauntlet, yes, that could be a gamebreaker for some people who watch a lot of movies and television. Not to mention there are plenty of people who live in regions where there aren't a lot of ISP choices and speeds aren't high enough to support streaming in HD very well.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
reply to Kulldar
said by Kulldar:

I'm thinking this is going to be the Wii launch all over again.

I think Nintendo's launch of the Wii was deliberate, and brilliant. You keep the demand high by only putting so many units out. Then when the units are sent to market, they're gone before the store even gets them! Nintendo loves that they sold on Ebay for redonkulous prices, because that made the desire to own one even higher.

If that's how they did it, and it really wasn't caused by problems in the production line, I think it's brilliant.

Though the downer for me on this now, is I read that the units will be region locked. Really Nintendo? That's a stupid move to make. You have a segment of gamers that enjoy import games, because some of the quirky, fun ones never make it stateside.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to danawhitaker
Wow!!!

»www.computerandvideogames.com/36···evision/

»www.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/ninte···-and-di/

»www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/nint···r-wii-u/

»www.slashgear.com/nintendo-tvii-···3247469/

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=08O0G9CjcI8

--

bionicRod
Premium
united state
Pretty cool tv functionality. I wonder if that will work with a telco, satellite or cable dvr? I haven't had a tivo for years.

I don't watch a lot of tv but if my better half sees that we'll be getting one.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
What I wanna know is if that wii u tablet thing will have multi touch functionality and be ips...

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to bionicRod
said by bionicRod:

Pretty cool tv functionality. I wonder if that will work with a telco, satellite or cable dvr? I haven't had a tivo for years.

I believe the articles I posted pretty much answer your questions.
--

bionicRod
Premium
united state
said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by bionicRod:

Yeah, well I'm at work and they're websensed.

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
reply to Alpha Phoenix
Wow! That's really pretty neat. Though a demo such as this needs to be taken at face value, the IDEA is sweet, make your wii-u the center of your entertainment system, but let's see how it plays out. I don't have a tivo, but I DO have a DVR. Built in Harmony-like features for the Wii-u-mote would be pretty sweet.

This brings me back to what I said before about Nintendo being innovative, and not so much caring about pure graphics. This adds a whole new depth to the remote on it, and if what they're looking at here comes to fruition, then Nintendo could do really well with this system.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

3 edits
reply to bionicRod
said by bionicRod:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by bionicRod:

Yeah, well I'm at work and they're websensed.

Then do what I do. Check them on your smartphone.

Because I like you, I'll copy and paste the main snippets for you.

said by »www.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/ninte···-and-di/ :

Nintendo TVii supported by 'all' major US, Canadian cable and dish companies

Nintendo's director of strategic partnerships, Zach Fountain, has said Nintendo TVii will support "all" cable and dish carriers in the US and Canada. Speaking with Engadget, the executive said the only requirement for signing up is entering your cable or dish provider account information into the Wii U.

DVR and TiVO functionality will work in a similar manner, with subscribers inputting information via web, with functionality then accessible through Wii U.

said by »www.computerandvideogames.com/36···evision/ :

Users can access Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon TV streams, as well as live TV, and even access their Tivo player.

--

bionicRod
Premium
united state
I can't always get away with looking at my smart phone, but this page is just an alt tab away on my work pc! Anyway thanks for posting! That is awesome news and is a compelling reason to consider getting a WiiU. Good move by Nintendo.

Mittvok
Premium
join:2008-12-18
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Alpha Phoenix
What's with all the Wii hate in here? The Wii was a fun system. I'd much rather trade in a bit of graphics for fun. I find Wii bowling more fun than playing CoD for hours on end.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
said by Mittvok:

What's with all the Wii hate in here?

I was wondering the same thing.