Search similar:

uniqs
netsurfer1
join:2012-04-13
Atlanta, GA

netsurfer1 to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix

Re: Wii U

This is cool! Mario is still my favorite game. But I guess, I still need to read more reviews about this before buying it.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Wii U is not for me

Kulldar
Premium Member
join:2008-11-11
Warren, MI

Kulldar to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Last night I decided to pre-order this thing. The deluxe bundle is sold out everywhere, Toys R Us, Best Buy, Gamestop... I'm thinking this is going to be the Wii launch all over again. When I checked Amazon I noticed a couple asshats already trying to sell the Wii U basic bundle for $600.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium Member
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
I pre ordered it as well, just in case my kids want the thing.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Interesting how they went for small controllers and motion detection, back to using controllers.

Was motion detection/Body as the controller just a fad?
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
quote:
Also doesn't play Blu-ray or DVDs.

People still buy Blue-ray/DVDs?

But you still have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu, youtube streaming services.
But I agree, not being able to play physical media could be a bother for some.

Though with the SD card slot, one could always rip their DVDs and put them on a SD card. Then use that to play on the Wii U[If the Wii U can play that file format].

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

captokita to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Was motion detection/Body as the controller just a fad?

The Wii-u remote is fully motion sensitive, and the console has a sensor bar just as the Wii has, though I think I read it's more accurate/sensitive. So no, it's not just a fad, but even if it were, it worked right? That's why XBOX and PS3 came out with their own motion stuff too.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to Kulldar

Premium Member

to Kulldar
said by Kulldar:

Last night I decided to pre-order this thing. The deluxe bundle is sold out everywhere, Toys R Us, Best Buy, Gamestop... I'm thinking this is going to be the Wii launch all over again. When I checked Amazon I noticed a couple asshats already trying to sell the Wii U basic bundle for $600.

I went to Nintendo World today and the deluxe bundle is even sold out there!!! »/r0/do ··· _ani.gif

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

quote:
Also doesn't play Blu-ray or DVDs.

People still buy Blue-ray/DVDs?

But you still have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu, youtube streaming services.
But I agree, not being able to play physical media could be a bother for some.

Though with the SD card slot, one could always rip their DVDs and put them on a SD card. Then use that to play on the Wii U[If the Wii U can play that file format].

Considering the amount of bandwidth HD video content eats up, and the fact that more and more ISPs (my own included) are starting to throw down the cap gauntlet, yes, that could be a gamebreaker for some people who watch a lot of movies and television. Not to mention there are plenty of people who live in regions where there aren't a lot of ISP choices and speeds aren't high enough to support streaming in HD very well.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita to Kulldar

Premium Member

to Kulldar
said by Kulldar:

I'm thinking this is going to be the Wii launch all over again.

I think Nintendo's launch of the Wii was deliberate, and brilliant. You keep the demand high by only putting so many units out. Then when the units are sent to market, they're gone before the store even gets them! Nintendo loves that they sold on Ebay for redonkulous prices, because that made the desire to own one even higher.

If that's how they did it, and it really wasn't caused by problems in the production line, I think it's brilliant.

Though the downer for me on this now, is I read that the units will be region locked. Really Nintendo? That's a stupid move to make. You have a segment of gamers that enjoy import games, because some of the quirky, fun ones never make it stateside.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Alpha Phoenix to danawhitaker

Premium Member

to danawhitaker
Wow!!!

»www.computerandvideogame ··· evision/

»www.joystiq.com/2012/09/ ··· -and-di/

»www.engadget.com/2012/09 ··· r-wii-u/

»www.slashgear.com/ninten ··· 3247469/

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 0G9CjcI8

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Pretty cool tv functionality. I wonder if that will work with a telco, satellite or cable dvr? I haven't had a tivo for years.

I don't watch a lot of tv but if my better half sees that we'll be getting one.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

What I wanna know is if that wii u tablet thing will have multi touch functionality and be ips...

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

Pretty cool tv functionality. I wonder if that will work with a telco, satellite or cable dvr? I haven't had a tivo for years.

I believe the articles I posted pretty much answer your questions.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by TheBionic:

Yeah, well I'm at work and they're websensed.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Wow! That's really pretty neat. Though a demo such as this needs to be taken at face value, the IDEA is sweet, make your wii-u the center of your entertainment system, but let's see how it plays out. I don't have a tivo, but I DO have a DVR. Built in Harmony-like features for the Wii-u-mote would be pretty sweet.

This brings me back to what I said before about Nintendo being innovative, and not so much caring about pure graphics. This adds a whole new depth to the remote on it, and if what they're looking at here comes to fruition, then Nintendo could do really well with this system.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

3 edits

Alpha Phoenix to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by TheBionic:

Yeah, well I'm at work and they're websensed.

Then do what I do. Check them on your smartphone.

Because I like you, I'll copy and paste the main snippets for you.
said by »www.joystiq.com/2012/09/ ··· -and-di/ :

Nintendo TVii supported by 'all' major US, Canadian cable and dish companies

Nintendo's director of strategic partnerships, Zach Fountain, has said Nintendo TVii will support "all" cable and dish carriers in the US and Canada. Speaking with Engadget, the executive said the only requirement for signing up is entering your cable or dish provider account information into the Wii U.

DVR and TiVO functionality will work in a similar manner, with subscribers inputting information via web, with functionality then accessible through Wii U.

said by »www.computerandvideogame ··· evision/ :

Users can access Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon TV streams, as well as live TV, and even access their Tivo player.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I can't always get away with looking at my smart phone, but this page is just an alt tab away on my work pc! Anyway thanks for posting! That is awesome news and is a compelling reason to consider getting a WiiU. Good move by Nintendo.
03667810 (banned)
join:2008-12-18
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

03667810 (banned) to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix
What's with all the Wii hate in here? The Wii was a fun system. I'd much rather trade in a bit of graphics for fun. I find Wii bowling more fun than playing CoD for hours on end.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by 03667810:

What's with all the Wii hate in here?

I was wondering the same thing.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium Member
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos to 03667810

Premium Member

to 03667810
said by 03667810:

What's with all the Wii hate in here? The Wii was a fun system.

The graphics were terrible and it was filled with shovel ware... the Mario games (most of Nintendos first party games) were fun and yes Wii bowling was a blast but almost everything else was crap.

My kids want this so I'll get it for them for Christmas, the new Mario looks great.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008 to 03667810

Premium Member

to 03667810
said by 03667810:

What's with all the Wii hate in here? The Wii was a fun system. I'd much rather trade in a bit of graphics for fun. I find Wii bowling more fun than playing CoD for hours on end.

it was a fun system for all 5 (Give or take) original games that were fun out of the thousand or so crap games.

And of course, all of the games Nintendo made over the years released online..

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to Silvanos

Premium Member

to Silvanos
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and Metroid: Other M had some of the best graphics ever! Goes to show that it wasn't the system, but the game developers that never bothered to really push the system the way it really could've been pushed.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Interesting

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and Metroid: Other M had some of the best graphics ever! Goes to show that it wasn't the system, but the game developers that never bothered to really push the system the way it really could've been pushed.

Best graphics ever LOL?

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by Metatron2008:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Best graphics ever LOL?

For the Wii, yes. And overall, the graphics on Metroid : Other M were crisp as hell. If you haven't played it, then don't thumb your nose at it in ignorance. If you have played it, then you should already know.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

1 recommendation

TheBionic

Premium Member

Here is a direct comparison of Wii graphics vs. other modern platforms:

Can't argue with science, bro.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

lol

sleuth3
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

sleuth3 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Nintendo TVii looks pretty sweet. I was planning on buying the system anyway, of all people my wife wants it for Christmas, and this is just icing on the cake. I don't watch much TV nowadays and the Mrs. records all her TV shows. So the sensible decision would be to cut the cord and subscribe to streaming. Wonder how badly this is going to bug me through football season though.
JBear
join:2005-02-24
canada

JBear to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix
Wii U is going to sell like hotcakes because
a) it will be riding on the Wii's reputation and coat tails (I mean that in a good way)
b) Who really is going to buy an end of the line PS3 which is still at the same price of it's launch? And the 720 and PS4 will probably launch on Xmas 2013 so Nintendo will have a year just to themselves (which happened last generation). Some people will just need to 'upgrade' their current Wii.

But in saying that I am in no rush for another console right now and am interested in what Microsoft is going to do with their Kinect for the 720. I was thinking of buying a 360 with Kinect but money and my current satisfaction with what my PS3 does right now (mainly blu-ray, streaming, and Netflix) I couldn't justify buying it.