MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 edit

Guspaz to zaptor99

MVM

to zaptor99

Re: [DSL] Good News - DSL upgrades

All DSL services have virtually the same tariff price now, so speed tiers like 16/7 make sense in that they cost TekSavvy less in UBB and transit than 25/7... We have 16/7 from TekSavvy but our price is out of date (was set during the interim tariffs and hasn't been updated) and so I'm wondering what's going to happen to that.

EDIT: On a personal level, I'd rather be on cable, but Videotron shows no evidence that they're going to give us any kind of decent upstream any time soon.

DragonSpyre
Premium Member
join:2009-05-20
Aurora, ON
Hitron CODA-4582
Asus RT-AX88
Grandstream HT801

DragonSpyre

Premium Member

Looks like my speed got topped off last night, are these stats good for the profile I am on now?

SNR Margin
Down Up
6.1 9.5 db

Line Attenuation
Down Up
31.0 14.1 db

Data Rate
Down Up
16318 1087 kbps

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
Those on a 16Mbps profile will be grandfathered.

Cheers,

Andre

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

I'm not sure our grandfathered price is all that attractive. We're paying two bucks less than 25/10, and we're getting 16/7. If we get grandfathered and we don't get the upstream upgrade from 7 meg to 10 meg, what was a not-so-great deal before becomes a terrible deal now...

Could you qualify if our line supports 15/10 or 25/10? Should I PM you the CID/OID?

Also, I have not received any automated invoices for that account without manual intervention since January. Getting February required a ticket be filed, and then I called to complain in June and they manually sent March through May in a single ARDINVO PDF. I never got any invoice for June, July, or August. These are the invoices being sent to equipment@otakuthon.com, not my personal account (I get those invoices fine)

I'll try to verify with our IT department if the spam filter is eating them.

DrZEUS
join:2004-01-13
Mississauga, ON

DrZEUS to zaptor99

to zaptor99
so what happens to the 16/1 plan? Whats the price difference with this and the new 15/1 plan?
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

Read what Andre just posted...

DrZEUS
join:2004-01-13
Mississauga, ON

DrZEUS

said by kovy7:

oops missed it! sounds good

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

said by DrZEUS:

said by kovy7:

oops missed it! sounds good

I snucked it in like a ninja!

inferno_gn
Premium Member
join:2007-02-26
Verdun, QC

inferno_gn to zaptor99

Premium Member

to zaptor99
Hi there,

The 25/10 mpbs isn't the same as the 16 mpbs. That profile required a 8$ more for the modem.

It doesn't really matter for me 16 or 15 mpbs, my area can only sync me at 16, which in turn I get 14ish with overhead, so technically, I get 15...

Ju Leon...
SonicSam
join:2006-05-27
Ottawa, ON

SonicSam to zaptor99

to zaptor99
Changes went into effect from 12/1 to 15/1. This is fantastic and unexpected, thanks!

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to zaptor99

to zaptor99
Will business customers on 25/7 also get bumped to 25/10?
cidknee0
join:2009-02-28

cidknee0

I also would like to know that, I would LOVE that!

Also when are we going to see any Cable upload speeds beyond 1Mb?

Quinte
join:2001-07-21
Kitchener, ON

1 edit

Quinte to zaptor99

to zaptor99

Profile on August 23 upgraded

Profile on August 24th. Upstream downgraded from 1 Mb/Sec to 797 Kb/Sec

Speedtest After Profile Change

Speedtest Before Profile Change

Interesting, it appears that Bell upgraded my profile to 15 Mb/Sec from 12 Mb/Sec along with the upstream speed to 1 Mb/Sec. However, the very next day the upstream was dropped back to 797 Kb/Sec. Odd to say the least.

The other odd thing is that my actual speed test after the profile upgrade is actually slower than before the profile upgrade as shown.

Weird. And yes, I have tried resetting the router several times with the same results.

agent_667
join:2004-11-10
St Catharines, ON

agent_667 to zaptor99

to zaptor99
Past couple days (assuming since the upgrades started taking place) my line speed has been bouncing around from 9mb to 20mb. Is this stability expected and will it normalize? In the northeast end of st catharines with the 12/1 package which is now 10-20/1 lol.

Modem puts my line speed at 17980 Kbps/797 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 24812 Kbps/1042 Kbps

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to zaptor99

Premium Member

to zaptor99
Nifty.

I'll being doing some speedtests tonight to confirm.
frank2029
join:2004-01-31
Etobicoke, ON

frank2029

Im currently syncing @ 17983down and 1087up
cowwoc
join:2007-05-19
Saint-Laurent, QC

2 edits

cowwoc to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
Andre,

When will Quebec customers get the option of 15/10 (as offered by Bell) instead of the current 15/1 Teksavvy is offering? Many of us are not eligible for 25/10 but all the other profiles are capped at 1MBit which is insufficient. Please provide *some* sort of increase. Maybe something along the lines of 15/4.

Gili

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

That is a good question. For now, we are concentrating efforts on the upgrades mentioned above, we will then be looking at re-vamping our offerings.

Cheers,

Andre

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to zaptor99

MVM

to zaptor99
It's very rare that you qualify for 15/10 but not 25/10... Almost unheard of, although you do see the rare person who gets 25/10 but can't get the full upstream sync or something, and they might be able to do 15/10...
cowwoc
Saint-Laurent, QC

cowwoc

said by Guspaz:

It's very rare that you qualify for 15/10 but not 25/10...

Well, according to Bell's website this is the case for me. According to Teksavvy employees as of a few months ago I only qualify for 15/1 under their service offering.

Gili
kovy7

kovy7

said by cowwoc:

said by Guspaz:

Well, according to Bell's website this is the case for me. According to Teksavvy employees as of a few months ago I only qualify for 15/1 under their service offering.

Gili

Bell only sells 15/10, no 15/1...and it's "up to" service... you will get it if you can, chances are if you can't get 25/10... your chance of getting 15/10 is non existant. Upload is the first thing getting affected by distance issue for Bell VDSL.
cowwoc
Saint-Laurent, QC

cowwoc

said by kovy7:

said by cowwoc:

said by Guspaz:

Gili

Bell only sells 15/10, no 15/1...and it's "up to" service... you will get it if you can, chances are if you can't get 25/10... your chance of getting 15/10 is non existant. Upload is the first thing getting affected by distance issue for Bell VDSL.

I don't need the full 15/10. I just need something with a higher upload speed than 1mbps. Even getting 3-4 mbps up would be great.

Gili
kovy7

kovy7

said by cowwoc:

I don't need the full 15/10. I just need something with a higher upload speed than 1mbps. Even getting 3-4 mbps up would be great.

Gili

But are you sure you can even get VDSL ? Just because the website says 15/10... maybe you area doesn't have VDSL to start off with.

This is what they have on their webpage for 15/10, notice the option for 15/1 is no more available.

"Actual speeds will vary depending on the distance between the customer’s modem and switching equipment from Bell. Min. 680 Kbps and max. 10 Mbps up speeds."

And if you're at St John'S, NL... no way is Bell Canada serving there, more like Bell Alliant ?
cowwoc
Saint-Laurent, QC

cowwoc

said by kovy7:

said by cowwoc:

Gili

But are you sure you can even get VDSL ? Just because the website says 15/10... maybe you area doesn't have VDSL to start off with.

How do I find out? One of my neighbors works for Bell. He mentioned we have FTTN but not FTTH in our area. Does that help?

Gili
kovy7

kovy7

said by cowwoc:

said by kovy7:

said by cowwoc:

Gili

How do I find out? One of my neighbors works for Bell. He mentioned we have FTTN but not FTTH in our area. Does that help?

Gili

You should go in the bell direct forum here on DSLR... and ask what you qualify with and if he can do a neighbour check to see what speed they have. You could be on FTTN, but if there's no VDSL2 card then it's useless. In order to have more then 1mbps upload with Bell you need to have at least VDSL2 or FTTH.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to zaptor99

MVM

to zaptor99
It really would be nice if Bell split the 15/1 and 15/10 tiers, it's causing so much confusion in their customers... You can't really call it "up to" when it's a completely different technology and platform... If you say a customer qualifies for 15/10, but their neighbourhood doesn't even have VDSL2 coverage, giving them 10% of what they paid for is silly.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Guspaz:

It really would be nice if Bell split the 15/1 and 15/10 tiers, it's causing so much confusion in their customers... You can't really call it "up to" when it's a completely different technology and platform... If you say a customer qualifies for 15/10, but their neighbourhood doesn't even have VDSL2 coverage, giving them 10% of what they paid for is silly.

Well for them, 15/1 is the same price as 15/10... so lucky if you can have it, too bad if you can't?

Just like how there's no lower speed tier then 5mbps... you think everyone can get that speed?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz to zaptor99

MVM

to zaptor99
Well, does Bell tell people they qualify for 50 megabit and then they only get 5 megabit?

At what point does the gap between "you qualify for X but will only get Y" become too silly? Because a ten to one ratio is insane.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Guspaz:

Well, does Bell tell people they qualify for 50 megabit and then they only get 5 megabit?

At what point does the gap between "you qualify for X but will only get Y" become too silly? Because a ten to one ratio is insane.

It's the same for people who want 5mbps but only get 500k... yes it has become ridiculous... lol.

There's probably some people who would actually want 15/10 just for the upload.
ns1225
join:2010-12-30
Montreal, QC

ns1225

On the retail side, the usage cap I believe dictates which tier a customer buys with ~15GB on 5Mbps plan and ~75GB on the 15Mbps. Bell has set this up in a way that most people choose the middle tier solely for the cap. Also it has to be said Bell shakes up their retail offerings often and I bet in a few months, following many complaints, they'll go back to +$5 for upload speed upgrade like before.