share rss forum feed

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to cowwoc

Re: [DSL] Good News - DSL upgrades

said by cowwoc:

said by Guspaz:

It's very rare that you qualify for 15/10 but not 25/10...

Well, according to Bell's website this is the case for me. According to Teksavvy employees as of a few months ago I only qualify for 15/1 under their service offering.

Gili

Bell only sells 15/10, no 15/1...and it's "up to" service... you will get it if you can, chances are if you can't get 25/10... your chance of getting 15/10 is non existant. Upload is the first thing getting affected by distance issue for Bell VDSL.

cowwoc

join:2007-05-19
St John'S, NL
said by kovy:

said by cowwoc:

said by Guspaz:

It's very rare that you qualify for 15/10 but not 25/10...

Well, according to Bell's website this is the case for me. According to Teksavvy employees as of a few months ago I only qualify for 15/1 under their service offering.

Gili

Bell only sells 15/10, no 15/1...and it's "up to" service... you will get it if you can, chances are if you can't get 25/10... your chance of getting 15/10 is non existant. Upload is the first thing getting affected by distance issue for Bell VDSL.

I don't need the full 15/10. I just need something with a higher upload speed than 1mbps. Even getting 3-4 mbps up would be great.

Gili

kovy

said by cowwoc:

I don't need the full 15/10. I just need something with a higher upload speed than 1mbps. Even getting 3-4 mbps up would be great.

Gili

But are you sure you can even get VDSL ? Just because the website says 15/10... maybe you area doesn't have VDSL to start off with.

This is what they have on their webpage for 15/10, notice the option for 15/1 is no more available.

"Actual speeds will vary depending on the distance between the customer’s modem and switching equipment from Bell. Min. 680 Kbps and max. 10 Mbps up speeds."

And if you're at St John'S, NL... no way is Bell Canada serving there, more like Bell Alliant ?

cowwoc

St John'S, NL
said by kovy:

said by cowwoc:

Gili

But are you sure you can even get VDSL ? Just because the website says 15/10... maybe you area doesn't have VDSL to start off with.

How do I find out? One of my neighbors works for Bell. He mentioned we have FTTN but not FTTH in our area. Does that help?

Gili

kovy

said by cowwoc:

said by kovy:

said by cowwoc:

Gili

How do I find out? One of my neighbors works for Bell. He mentioned we have FTTN but not FTTH in our area. Does that help?

Gili

You should go in the bell direct forum here on DSLR... and ask what you qualify with and if he can do a neighbour check to see what speed they have. You could be on FTTN, but if there's no VDSL2 card then it's useless. In order to have more then 1mbps upload with Bell you need to have at least VDSL2 or FTTH.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to zaptor99
It really would be nice if Bell split the 15/1 and 15/10 tiers, it's causing so much confusion in their customers... You can't really call it "up to" when it's a completely different technology and platform... If you say a customer qualifies for 15/10, but their neighbourhood doesn't even have VDSL2 coverage, giving them 10% of what they paid for is silly.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

kovy

said by Guspaz:

It really would be nice if Bell split the 15/1 and 15/10 tiers, it's causing so much confusion in their customers... You can't really call it "up to" when it's a completely different technology and platform... If you say a customer qualifies for 15/10, but their neighbourhood doesn't even have VDSL2 coverage, giving them 10% of what they paid for is silly.

Well for them, 15/1 is the same price as 15/10... so lucky if you can have it, too bad if you can't?

Just like how there's no lower speed tier then 5mbps... you think everyone can get that speed?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to zaptor99
Well, does Bell tell people they qualify for 50 megabit and then they only get 5 megabit?

At what point does the gap between "you qualify for X but will only get Y" become too silly? Because a ten to one ratio is insane.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

kovy

said by Guspaz:

Well, does Bell tell people they qualify for 50 megabit and then they only get 5 megabit?

At what point does the gap between "you qualify for X but will only get Y" become too silly? Because a ten to one ratio is insane.

It's the same for people who want 5mbps but only get 500k... yes it has become ridiculous... lol.

There's probably some people who would actually want 15/10 just for the upload.

ns1225

join:2010-12-30
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
On the retail side, the usage cap I believe dictates which tier a customer buys with ~15GB on 5Mbps plan and ~75GB on the 15Mbps. Bell has set this up in a way that most people choose the middle tier solely for the cap. Also it has to be said Bell shakes up their retail offerings often and I bet in a few months, following many complaints, they'll go back to +$5 for upload speed upgrade like before.

eots

join:2003-02-04
reply to TSI Martin
This is only good news for customers on the 12Mbps package, they're the only ones getting a free upgrade and the rest of us are still paying full price. I'd rather TSI reduced my speed to 15Mbps from 16Mbps and charge me the old 12Mbps price.

This is disappointing news as far as I'm concerned.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to kovy
said by kovy:

It's the same for people who want 5mbps but only get 500k... yes it has become ridiculous... lol.

The problem now is, when an ISP pre-quals a service address or phone number at order entry time, they can't tell if a customer is going to get 640k 2M or 6M - it simply tells them "6M".
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit
reply to eots
said by eots:

This is only good news for customers on the 12Mbps package, they're the only ones getting a free upgrade and the rest of us are still paying full price. I'd rather TSI reduced my speed to 15Mbps from 16Mbps and charge me the old 12Mbps price.

Huh? The news is good for everyone. You're whining because you didn't get something for free.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to kovy
said by kovy:

IMO some is an understatement.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
reply to 34764170
I'm happy to be grandfathered on 19455/1085.

Chang

@teksavvy.com
reply to eots
Likely most people who originally subscribed to 12 meg did so because that was all their line could handle. So many won't get upgraded at all. I got upgraded from 12/800 to 14/1 synch rate but my line can't synch higher than that. At least i'm finally getting true 12 meg which is what i was paying for but of course Bell originally put me on a lower synch even though the line could handle a higher synch.

eots

join:2003-02-04

1 edit
reply to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by eots:

Huh? The news is good for everyone. You're whining because you didn't get something for free.

Seriously how is this good news for EVERYONE? I don't see it, there are no changes for anyone on the 16Mbps plan, we're only 1Mbps higher than the new 15Mbps level, so big deal! The best deal is for the customers with 12Mbps plan who are getting 3Mbps more speed at no additional charge.

What I'd like to see is TSI offering the 10Mbps upload speed on the 15Mbps plan not just the 25Mbps.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to kovy
said by kovy:

said by Guspaz:

*Raises his hand for the 15/10 just for the up*

kovy

1 edit
reply to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

said by kovy:

The problem now is, when an ISP pre-quals a service address or phone number at order entry time, they can't tell if a customer is going to get 640k 2M or 6M - it simply tells them "6M".

Exact, it just got harder to control damage a customer. And if teksavvy or any other ISP does this... well good luck for the 15/10.

kovy

reply to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by kovy:

Really... cause I would enjoy download more then upload.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to kovy
said by kovy:

Exact, it just got harder to control damage a customer. And if teksavvy or any other ISP does this... well good luck for the 15/10.

It's getting more difficult to reply on the prequal tools. We're in the process of building our own prequal database using statistics gathered from actual customer readings in various neighborhoods, then combining that information with what we get from Bell.

In areas served from our own DSLAMs, we simply put in the street name, look for someone in the same block, and get a live sync reading. Unlike pulling sync rates from Bell's equipment, that check is virtually instant.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

turbohonda

join:2011-01-30
reply to zaptor99
i would love to see a 15/10 option available by teksavvy. i would upgrade my 6/800k service in a heart beat (minus the modem rental fee the 25/10 guys have to pay)
--
it's your fault for choosing cable internet.....

kovy

said by turbohonda:

i would love to see a 15/10 option available by teksavvy. i would upgrade my 6/800k service in a heart beat (minus the modem rental fee the 25/10 guys have to pay)

The 15/10 will have have the modem fee... it's VDSL.

kovy

reply to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

said by kovy:

It's getting more difficult to reply on the prequal tools. We're in the process of building our own prequal database using statistics gathered from actual customer readings in various neighborhoods, then combining that information with what we get from Bell.

In areas served from our own DSLAMs, we simply put in the street name, look for someone in the same block, and get a live sync reading. Unlike pulling sync rates from Bell's equipment, that check is virtually instant.

Yeah, the qualification team are really a mess at Bell... they need to talk to so many different departements and what not... one time they got back to me like 4-5 months later saying they corrected the qualification for my customer... really retarded.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

Booo...I couldn't get up to 19455 sync....so I'm hopeful to get to whatever the 17k sync is....I'm at 16319/1085 right now....

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON
What do your stats look like on the 16/1 profile and what type of modem are you using?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

Ditto, and I'm not budging. Not willingly anyway.

I'd go for the 25/10 now that the modem reboot issue is resolved, but I'm not paying another $95 install fee no-how.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON
The modem rental on 25/10 doesn't interest me. I'm good with these speeds for now.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to kovy
said by kovy:

said by 34764170:

said by kovy:

Really... cause I would enjoy download more then upload.

Of course and there are options for even faster down but there are a lot of people that don't need 25Mbps down or even faster but 1Mbps up is pretty darn slow so yes there are a lot of people that would want the 10Mbps up. 15Mbps is a nice step up from old school 5/6Mbps and a nice upstream bump too.

cowwoc

St John'S, NL
reply to kovy
said by kovy:

You should go in the bell direct forum here on DSLR... and ask what you qualify with and if he can do a neighbour check to see what speed they have. You could be on FTTN, but if there's no VDSL2 card then it's useless. In order to have more then 1mbps upload with Bell you need to have at least VDSL2 or FTTH.

Good advice. I asked on the Bell Direct forum as you mentioned and it turns out VDSL2 is not available in my area

I'm a bit surprised. There are million dollar homes in my area (not my own) and all construction is less than 7 years old. You'd figure they'd put out the latest technology...

Anyway, what do I do now? Just sit and wait a couple of years?

Thanks,
Gili