how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

danieln11

join:2012-08-21
Castle Rock, CO

[Bill] Comcast DTA

Does comcast now charge for every digital transport adapter? I setup service at a new house and originally got the first 2 DTA boxes free with my digital starter package. Now they are charging me $1.99 for the two DTA boxes that use to be free.

They have told me that starting in July 1st they now charge for all boxes and you do not get the first 2 DTAs free. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,
Daniel

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

Yep that is how it is here, july 1st they started charging for them. the 2 I had for backup's I returned because of it.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
reply to danieln11

Any DTAs that were installed prior to [whatever the date is 8/1? 7/1?] are grandfathered in, and you should not be charged for them. There is a charge for any new ones.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3

Yes, the charge is for any new DTAs that are obtained now, as it stated in this notice that was printed on many customer bills back in May:

"Effective July 1, 2012, Comcast will charge $1.99 per month for each new Digital Adapter Additional Outlet subscribed to on or after July 1, 2012, by customers with Digital Starter and above. Pricing is subject to change."

It also looks like customers who subscribe to only Limited Basic service will still get some free DTAs, then.

crawlernight

join:2012-08-14
reply to danieln11

I think the new charges apply to all DTA boxes irrespective of when it was installed as one of my friends had an issue about this a few months back. I think he received a $9.95 charge on his bill for Additional Outlet Service, a year later from installation. When he checked with the company, he was told that the charge was for the boxes. I suppose Comcast provides one (1) digital box free and additional ones are at a monthly rate, but I am not sure.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

The information I provided is correct. Free DTAs (1, 2, or 3 free DTAs, depending on your market) _ordered_ prior to the cutoff date are grandfathered in, and there will be no charge. This is a national policy. If your friend is being charged under these circumstances, it is an error.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

But, just like the phone companies, I'll bet if you make any change to your service, they'll 'reset' you and start charging for 'grandfathered' services...

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Yeah, I wonder if you exchange a failed, "grandfathered" DTA for a new one, will you then start getting charged for it, as it will appear as a new (serial no.) one in their system?

cast sucks

@dsl.net

don't give them any ideas.

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
reply to danieln11

1st 2 grandfathered here, too. more cost 1.99/mo
--
- Bill

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to danieln11

Limited basic, just going all digital next month, first 3 are free. order system and info is a mess but my DTA's arrived today. picture is so poor I may drop service I want to keep my HD locals.
going to complain to the franchise about the switch.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Yes, I did notice this blog item from the Seattle Times last week when I did a Comcast news search:

Comcast: All customers will need adapters soon
By Brier Dudley, The Seattle Times - August 15, 2012
»seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/t···nee.html

So apparently there are still a good number of Comcast systems that have yet to complete their "digital migration," so that customers in those areas are still being provided with free DTAs.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

In our region (freedom region) We can still get free DTAS. The catch is you can only get them free if you are a limited basic sub. Its not about the digital migration being completed. Its about comcast agreeing to extend the free period in return for shutting off analog to limited basic subs.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Yes, as that bill notice stated, "by customers with Digital Starter and above," so the need to pay for all DTAs in our area now does not include Limited Basic tier subscibers in our region, as you said.

However, unlike our Freedom Region area where it has been awhile since the digital migration has been completed, in some other areas, like tshirt's Puget Sound region, they are still in the process of migrating, and as that Seattle Times article says, "up to three adapters per household will be provided for free" without any subscriber tier restrictions being stated for them right now, I believe.

I guess tshirt will have to confirm this, though.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA

That was my point. It doesnt matter where your system is on the digital migration. He gets three just like we get three.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Yes, if you're talking about just Limited Basic subscribers (like tshirt).

The big question, I thought, was whether the higher-tier subscribers in those areas currently undergoing their digital migration have to pay for all their DTAs now, or are those areas still getting their first 2 free, as we used to here in the Freedom Region before July 1st.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad

I believe anyone gets upto 3, minus 1 for each settop you get/have/rent, that would be 3 for limited basic customers 2 for any one with one STB or cable card and so on. first 2 cable cards are "free" but count as a STB each.
This is a little confusing because stage one which removed analogs over 100 happened early on and they sent out DTA's only to call later and tell us Limited basic customers weren't suppose to have them, than a second wave of insisting you need them around the time of the OTA digital transition, only to some of us (still unneeded for those of use with digital tuners built in) and now down to ZERO analogs as of Sept 25 (so they claim, even local CSR's seem confued about it.)
2 comments
Announcment and actual switchover info could/should be clearer

dta size has shrunk each time (like a deck of cards now) picture+sound quality is equal or less then Ver 1 and same crappy remote

The lack of locals in HD will drive me to change, but not nessasrily toward more comcast video, the only reason I have Comcast video at all is to avoid an anntenna TOWER (reception is good 20 feet above the house, I have plenty of large trees that reach above the dead zone)
or to satellite
or just internet
currently Limited basic less than $3 to the bill the lowest digital tier REGULAR price is $67, plus $10 for HD, plus $10+ for the STB say $90 at least 3 times what I would pay just for HD locals (really the only broadcast TV I watch) my wife and son like a few more but all 3 together aren't TV junkies.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to telcodad

BTW that artticle was updated adding more possible confusion
" UPDATE: A few people have asked about the resolution output of the "DTA" adapters. They are standard-definition.

If you have a high-def TV with a digital tuner and you're now getting high-def channels, you're set. Don't bother with a DTA because it will degrade your signal.***

Also, customers with higher tiers of service may pay more for a DTA. Comcast provided them for free to Digital Cable customers from 2009 until July 1. Since then, it has begun charging $1.99 per month for the adapters. "

*** yet all the info(verbal and some written) I've gotten direct from CC implies EVERYTHING will be encoded and without an DTA all you will see is static.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

OK, thanks.

So reading the referenced article on the "Comcast in Washington State" site (»wacomcast.com/2012/08/10/comcast···upgrade/), it does seem to say that only the Limited Basic subscribers in that area are now eligible for some free DTAs, as the "Standard Cable" channels had been transitioned to digital over 2 years ago, so those higher-tier subscribers have had the chance to get their (free) DTAs back then.

I know the DTAs had only became available in this (SA/Cisco-equipped) area a few months before they dropped all the remaining (limited basic) analog channels last Fall, so 2 DTAs were provided free to all tier-level subscribers here at that time.

So as it states in the Q&As area of that article:

Q. What is the cost?

A.
Most customers won’t see a change in their bill. Comcast will provide limited basic customers with up to 3 DTAs at no additional monthly service cost. Customers who currently receive only Limited Basic service will receive up to three free DTA’s, with boxes four and five costing 50 cents a month each. Current Digital Cable customers will not be charged for DTA’s included as part of their service, if those DTA’s were included in their service prior to July 1. New DTA’s purchased after July 1st will cost $1.99 per month for current Digital Cable customers.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

If you have a high-def TV with a digital tuner and you're now getting high-def channels, you're set. Don't bother with a DTA because it will degrade your signal.***

*** yet all the info(verbal and some written) I've gotten direct from CC implies EVERYTHING will be encoded and without an DTA all you will see is static.

As another one of the Q&As states:

Q. Will customers need a digital device if they own a digital QAM tuner TV?

A.
Customers with a digital QAM tuner TV will be able to continue to get their Limited Basic cable channels without requiring a digital device at this time. Comcast recommends that customers utilize equipment on all TVs.

Note that they say "at this time." Comcast is anticipating being allowed by FCC to encrypt the Limited Basic digital channels sometime in the future. At that time, even TVs with "Clear QAM" tuners won't be able to receive any channels at all.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

And the people on the phones, chat and the(admittedly fairly generic) flyer in the DTA box say the opposite.
once again comcast's worst ability (COMMUNICATION) is showcased.
Being fairly technical and somewhat of a fan boi I have at least considered and researched other possiblities, but many around here( particularly those that can only afford limited basic on their analog tv or even a basic digital flatscreen must be somewhere between fully confused and panic.
ComCast COULD much enhance their image, by being total clear and concise, even verbose out this latest round of digtal transition even if it costs them a few higher, "panic" upgrades...at this time.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

In the end even a digital qam tuner wont do you any good. But its done in steps so there is no clear answer. What works now wont work 6 months down the line. Read the flyers as they come and you get your answer. Bottom line is in the ned you will need boxes for everything.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to danieln11

Every area probably varies based on local agreements, but in my FFO the 2 free are grandfathered in as long as you keep them and active service. If you cancel and then resubscribe they are no longer free or if you are disconnected for nonpay and then rehookup they are no longer free either. If you keep the 2 you got way back when and stay a loyal subscriber they should not have a charge from what we have been told. Again your area may vary, but I think I would call and explain and just politely inquire as to if you are supposed to be charged as you were told they were free when you got them. Can't hurt to try.