uniqs
share rss forum feed

Weaklink

join:2012-08-21
Visalia, CA

1 edit

T1 at home

K, here's my story.

I live out in the country. Loop is 35'000ft. Had Hughes net, after 2yrs got rid of Hughes net. Using a hot spot from AT&T now(same issues as hughes net). Really hope AT&T comes out with bonded ipdslam but i highly doubt it'll work well at my distance.

Thinking of a T1. I know it's not cheap but really just want to join the rest of the 21st century. I hope I will be able to stream with net flix or apple tv. Have pandora work with out cutting in and out. Etc...

I know nothing about them except, I do fix them when it's an outside issue(MST with AT&T)

Will I be happy? What are the downsides becides cost? How much up front cost is there?

Learn me

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

Unless things have changed they are pretty slow unless you bond multiples. 1.5mbs but unlike DSL both down and up.

OK for audio, but slow for video especially anything HD whch pretty much requires 3mbs and doing nothing else data heavy.

And they are very high cost. If not expensable as a biz cost pretty pricey for just home use. ($100+/mo)
--

TeleServPro
Premium
join:2009-08-24
reply to Weaklink

T1 lines are symmetrical, full duplex, dedicated, and 'commercial grade'. So even though bandwidth might be less than cheaper DSL or Cable, the T1 is more robust and has excellent throughput/latency. You should not have any issues with streaming, in fact T1s tend to be used extensively for applications that require real-time communications such as VoIP and video conferencing.

Potential downsides vary from carrier to carrier and how the T1 is provisioned, ie: installed. If it's not optimally provisioned (the most common being substandard copper, either at/to your building, or within the POP or CO), that can lead to future issues.

Up front cost is usually nothing if you sign a long term contract (2 or 3 years). Although you might need to pay a 3rd party vendor for a demarc extension. This would consist of running CAT5 from the T1's Smartjack (outside termination point), to your inside room. This should not cost more than $200-$300.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

said by TeleServPro:

You should not have any issues with streaming, in fact T1s tend to be used extensively for applications that require real-time communications such as VoIP and video conferencing.

Yes for low bandwidth stuff like that. But not if they want to stream anything HD (like Netflix, etc), a single T1 would even be tight for full bandwidth SD and mean not doing anything else much on the DL side whle dong it. HD requires pretty much a full 3mbs connection.

Unless its changed a single T1 is only 1.5mbs each way.
--

interlync

join:2002-07-30
Chicago, IL
reply to Weaklink

Up front costs can be very little. We offer Free install and free (Or reduced price) T1 router with 1 year term. You may also consider a bonded T1 for the future if your bandwidth needs increase.

You may also be able to find a LOCAL Fixed Wireless provider that can service your location. Fixed Wireless has some latency issues, but otherwise can be very cost effective.

Good luck!