Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Re: No Takers for "Dark Tower" Afterall :(

If, who ever hold the license to make it into a film/mini-series, really wants to do it; they'll find a way. They could take the project to the interest. See if they could find people willing to work for low wages/donate money to the project.

There is a movie that is supposed to be released soon, called Iron Sky [ »www.ironsky.net/site/ ] . Supposedly it's budget was from people that donated money to the project.

Heck, they could even go the way of You Tube, and release the film in 15 minute chunks.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

1 edit

Wily_One to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
Not surprised. It would be pretty hard to adapt to the screen, at least successfully, so studios like Warner Bros would rather just rehash the same formulaic crap than try something risky.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
Yeah , sad that. And some other shows too like Anne McCaffrey's Pern, David Farlans Runelords... and a few others talked about but never gotten around to getting made. All the 'cash' has been sunk into endless cheap stuff like reality shows. ugh.

facepalm
join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX

facepalm to Wily_One

to Wily_One
Disappointing for sure. If memory serves me, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy was a huge risk. That worked out pretty good on the balance sheets, I think.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

I am guessing New Line did that because they knew LOTR had a massive global following for decades. Not that King novels do not have a massive following of course and its not like a movie based on his books cant do well, I think "The Shining" did pretty well in theaters and is a highly regarded film.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

True, and a lot of Stephen King books have been done either as a movie or a tv miniseries over the years. The Dark Tower would be a hella biggie IMHO, so I guess theres a whole lot of pressure involved espcially with rabbid fans on the edges watching like a hawk to get it "done right".

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I was excited by the prospect because Ron Howard was excited about it
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

True, and a lot of Stephen King books have been done either as a movie or a tv miniseries over the years. The Dark Tower would be a hella biggie IMHO, so I guess theres a whole lot of pressure involved espcially with rabbid fans on the edges watching like a hawk to get it "done right".

It would likely do better as an HBO miniseries then, bigger budget than any broadcast network and no content nanny FCC to prevent accuracy.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
I would think that the studio's would be chomping at the bit for a "Harry Potter" -eque series that would has a cult following and could translate into a 8 or 9 part movie stint.

They could film it like the LOTR was film, in parallel. They may not be able to use the same scenery but they could do things like filming all of the Gilead flashbacks in one shot and scatter them as appropriate in the films, etc.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
the sad thing is that tripe like 50 shades of grey will get green lit quickly while really good series are left to wither on the vine.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

What do you mean "will"?

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fi ··· aptation

Varlik
Without Honor You Will Never Be Free
Premium Member
join:2002-01-06
Anderson, SC

Varlik to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

It would likely do better as an HBO miniseries then, bigger budget than any broadcast network and no content nanny FCC to prevent accuracy.

Yes for several years now I've wanted someone to produce it as a series carried by Showtime or HBO.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

Not that King novels do not have a massive following of course and its not like a movie based on his books cant do well, I think "The Shining" did pretty well in theaters and is a highly regarded film.

Other movies did pretty well too. Carrie, Cujo, Salem's Lot and Christine to name a few.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar

Premium Member

said by Boricua:

said by Kearnstd:

Not that King novels do not have a massive following of course and its not like a movie based on his books cant do well, I think "The Shining" did pretty well in theaters and is a highly regarded film.

Other movies did pretty well too. Carrie, Cujo, Salem's Lot and Christine to name a few.

But they were'nt blockbusters like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter or Twilight.

I too think a miniseries or a show similar to game of thrones would be the better alternative to a feature film.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil to juilinsandar

Premium Member

to juilinsandar
I remember Anne Rice's Book Exit to Edan. It was fairly "racy" stuff.

Then Hollywood made a movie out of it, and watered it down/changed it so much. That it was hard to believe it was based on Anne Rice's book.

I wonder how many remember Anne Rice's trilogy, The Sleeping Beauty Trilogy. It was very "interesting". And like her Vampire books, involved bisexual males. I haven't read 50 shades yet, not sure if it's worth it.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar

Premium Member

I'm surprised HBO inst making a series out of Anne Rice's vampire books to pair with True Blood.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Agreed. The Tom Cruise ones were ok, but they weren't as good as they could have been.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Snakeoil:

Agreed. The Tom Cruise ones were ok, but they weren't as good as they could have been.

Well, only two movies were made (and I'm not sure but the second movie might have been the 2nd and 3rd novels squished into the second movie) and Cruise was only in the first.

Overall, the first one was fairly true to the book I thought; the second movie, well, sort of okay but yeah, it didn't do as good a job capturing the feel of the last two novels as it could have...

I'd forgotten I had read Exit to Eden (also turned into a movie but I think they tried to make more of a farce/comedy IIRC). It's been ages since I read/watched that one...
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I remember Anne Rice's Book Exit to Edan. It was fairly "racy" stuff.

Then Hollywood made a movie out of it, and watered it down/changed it so much. That it was hard to believe it was based on Anne Rice's book.

I wonder how many remember Anne Rice's trilogy, The Sleeping Beauty Trilogy. It was very "interesting". And like her Vampire books, involved bisexual males. I haven't read 50 shades yet, not sure if it's worth it.

"racy" stuff has some wondering if Peter Jackson is going to be forced to rename the dog when he remakes the classic british WW2 film "The Dam Busters." For those who have not seen it, there is a black lab on the RAF base in the original movie named "Nigger".

I think as for the books you mentioned, HBO or Showtime would certainly have no issues with bisexual males and outside of the bible belt it would likely get good ratings.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar

Premium Member

that sounds more like political correctness than raciness?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to juilinsandar

Premium Member

to juilinsandar
said by juilinsandar:

said by Boricua:

said by Kearnstd:

But they were'nt blockbusters like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter or Twilight.

I too think a miniseries or a show similar to game of thrones would be the better alternative to a feature film.

They didn't cost nearly as much to make either.
Avengers cost in the area of $250m to make, brought in a cool $1b before dvd/blubray sales

Carrie on the other hand cost $1.8m to make and brought in over $33m, which makes it more successful (ROI) then the Avengers has an example.