All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

[Cable] DCM-475 firmware upgrades, anyone?

My TSI DCM-475 modem has stac 02.08 firmware on it. Anyone around here offering firmware update services for these? (Yes, I know it requires opening the modem and using the debug connector).

This former Teksavvy supplied modem stopped working on my line two weeks ago, reasons unknown. Oddly, it still worked when tried on a friend's connection, just not on my own. Likely Rogers doing something to the local cable segments or something.

I replaced it with a new DCM-476, so the original modem is now surplus. It would be useful and have value if the firmware could be updated to 02.16.

???

Nagilum
Premium Member
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON

Nagilum

Premium Member

It's my understanding that the firmware is not publicly available.

The only way to upgrade the modem firmware is to wait for Rogers to push new firmware (hahaha), or to send it back to Teksavvy. Teksavvy has an arrangement where they send the modems back to the manufacturer to be upgraded.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by Nagilum:

It's my understanding that the firmware is not publicly available.

Even if the firmware was found in the wild, cablecos disable the management GUI on modems so there is no user-accessible interface to update it with unless you count JTAG.
tommo4lyfe
join:2012-08-04

tommo4lyfe to mlord

to mlord
Same thing happen to me 3 weeks ago. The modem just stopped working. They told me I had to buy a new modem.
mlord
Kanata, ON

mlord to InvalidError

to InvalidError
I imagine that the internal debug interface (looks like some form of SPI on a 4-pin connector) can be used to (1) extract 02.16 from a newer modem, and then (2) flash it into the older modem.

So "in the wild" isn't a huge issue. Just wondering if anyone knows someone who does this. I do recall seeing a post somewhere from a chap in the Toronto area who was doing this kind of thing.

Cheers
gotak
join:2011-05-17
L6G 0C5

gotak to Nagilum

to Nagilum
Not entirely true. They seem to (according to the person who just called me) only be willing to receive your modem to upgrade if you buy it from teksavvy. And the way the person said it to me was pretty much "tough luck you didn't buy from us".

It's not that the disconnection every once a day is too annoying. But the feeling that if I don't buy a new modem and there is more issues like extremely slow speeds they will not fix it for me but I have to go spend another 100 or so for a new modem? If I wanted to be treated like that I can go with rogers.
mlord
Kanata, ON

1 edit

mlord

To finally follow up to my original query, the DCM-475 *is* now upgradeable by anyone with the right kit. Currently, this means user Teddy Boom in Toronto, and myself (mlord) in Ottawa. So Stac 02.08 firmware can now be upgraded by us to the latest Stac 02.16.

See this other thread for the story of how it was achieved:
»Upgrading Firmware on Thompson DCM475

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

You two guys probably need to make a new post, detailing it, and request to make it sticky...

ie for a moderate fee you can upgrade people in the GTA & Ottawa areas...
mlord
Kanata, ON

mlord

said by HiVolt:

You two guys probably need to make a new post, detailing it, and request to make it sticky...

ie for a moderate fee you can upgrade people in the GTA & Ottawa areas...

I'm offering this service on a very strict cost recovery basis, $5/modem until the Arduino & test clips are paid for. This is not intended as a business (I'd lose way too much money).

Local Ottawa area members only, bring the modem to me in Bells Corners for instant-upgrade. Just PM me to arrange it.
charettepa
join:2012-10-03
Orleans, ON

charettepa

i had a look at my modem last night as i was going to have you upgrade it

to my amazement it is already on 02.16

i bought it in August 2011
over a year ago
could it have been on 02.16 when i bought it
or did it upgrade over the network?
mlord
Kanata, ON

1 edit

mlord

said by charettepa:

Excellent. Saves us both some time that way!
I know Teksavvy was still shipping 02.08 modems up until at least October/2011, but perhaps they had a few of the newer 02.16 ones arriving before then.

Cheers

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to charettepa

Premium Member

to charettepa
said by charettepa:

over a year ago
could it have been on 02.16 when i bought it
or did it upgrade over the network?

It doesn't surprise me at all that 2.16 was being distributed then, or that they had mixed inventory for a while.

What does surprise me is that the Brampton 2.08/2.16 issue I linked in the other thread didn't start getting talked about until September last year, I thought it was in the summer:
»Re: I wonder what the cause of the 02.08 problem actually is?

It did not update over the network.