Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper to mc510

Premium Member

to mc510

Re: Modem rental?

said by mc510:

Thanks Dane, I'm glad to know that you're thinking about this. This must have come up before, but the same logic would suggest that you separate the $39.95 base service into two line items, one for local phone service (to which the myriad of federal, state, and local taxes would apply), and one for the internet portion (for which few or no taxes would be applied). This is not to suggest that the voice line be optional, just that billing be structured in a way to minimize the crazy tax hit. (You've probably discussed this in another thread, but I couldn't find it.)

Yes, for taxing purposes, Fusion at $39.95 is divided into a voice portion at $19.97 and a data portion at $19.98. (Clearly, it is a bundle, and neither is available separately, as each uses the same underlying facilities.)
tech_head
join:2001-03-01
Hayward, CA

tech_head

I personally don't like the modem rental structure.
I have had an issue for about the last month and the only way to really diagnose it is to get a new modem on the line just to be sure, that is not the modem.

I'm willing to buy a new modem, but was told my option was to do the rental dance. I have legacy DSL with no option for Fusion because I'm connected to a remote terminal.

My only option was to go buy a modem, but here again, there is a problem because the techs don't give any information about what type to buy.

I don't want the Sonic equipment, because I don't want a router. I want a bridge and a bridge only. I use a SonicWall TZ100 to do all my routing.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by tech_head:

I'm willing to buy a new modem, but was told my option was to do the rental dance. I have legacy DSL with no option for Fusion because I'm connected to a remote terminal.

My only option was to go buy a modem, but here again, there is a problem because the techs don't give any information about what type to buy.

Modem stats page could help; but legacy DSL is 'at&t Yahoo! HSI' resold. Your modem should report 'G.DMT', which is ADSL. Some SpeedStream 4100s misreported that as, 'ANSI' with the latest firmware.
said by tech_head:

Modem stats page could help; but legacy DSL is 'at