join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to cowboyro

Premium Member

to cowboyro

Re: [House&Home] Oil's end

said by cowboyro:

said by disconnected :

Why not just get a larger tank and buy oil in bulk for bigger savings?

Based on my previous calculation of 55,000BTU/$ with heat pump, the break-even price for oil is $2.13/gal. Good luck with that!

Interestingly, my last propane fill-up @ $1.61/gal got me pretty darn close to your 55,000BTU/$ heat pumps.. but that was a unique summertime price dip that I don't expect to replicate during the winter months. At the moment, I'm still significantly ahead of oil.

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to cowboyro

Anon

to cowboyro
My last oil fillup was at $2.59 a gallon, when most placed were quoting $2.80. The key negotiating factors were cash and 1000 gallon or more order size.
We've been losing power around here at least monthly this year. It's unprecidented. A month ago, during a downpour, a limb let loose from a tree and brushed the bare, above ground wires just up the road. Tripped the explosive breaker on the pole. Took them four hours to roll a truck and fix it. Last year, we didn't get power for 3 weeks out of the year. I reckon it's gonna get worse as we slip into banana republic status.

Those heat pumps are comparatively complicated and I reckon the maintenance costs will add up. Meanwhile, my oil furnace has chugged along with minimal mainenance for 40+ years. I've modernized it with a new burner, heat manager, flue dampers, etc., but basically simple and reliable. And without the tax burden of a heat pump central air system, which could easily add a grand a year to your property taxes in this town.