spc
Search similar:

uniqs
N4472X
join:2010-04-30

N4472X

Linksys WRT54G as just a 4-port hub with wireless

Greetings,

I just had Comcast data and TV installed.

Previously, I had EarthLink DSL. I had fed the Linksys WRT54G from the DSL Modem, and had used the 4-ports and wireless for my home.

Now, I have some PCs tied to the Comcast device, which has 4-ports and wireless, and I have my linksys connected to the Comcast device on one of the four ports.

Problem: the comcast device is running 10.x.x.x, so some of my PCs are on that net. The PCs and wireless laptops on the linksys are running on the 192.168.x.x network.

I would like to make the linksys just a 4-port hub with wireless, so that it does not function as a router. Any PCs or laptops that connect to the linksys, wired or wireless, will get their 10.x.x.x IP address from the Comcast device.

Question: How do I set up the Linksys device to do this?

Any help appreciated.

Joe

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by N4472X:

I would like to make the linksys just a 4-port hub with wireless, so that it does not function as a router

All you need to do is disable the linksys dhcp server and change the linksys ip address to a unused ip within the 10.x.x.x subnet, also do not use the linksys internet port
N4472X

N4472X

Thanks for the info. So, for the linksys internet port side, rather than having it set to DHCP, I just select STATIC and pick an 10.x.x.x address?

Also, the 4-port hub and wireless devices will then get their 10.x.x.x address and the DNS from the Comcast?

Joe

Kyawa
Premium Member
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD

Kyawa

Premium Member

Two different settings. In the basic setup page, you want to set the router IP address to something like 10.x.x.254. Right below that set DHCP Server to Disable. Then to access your router going forward, you would use 10.x.x.254. Don't worry about DNS, your router becomes a passive device.
N4472X

N4472X

Thanks again for the info.

Joe