how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28

Now Selling HughesNet Gen4!

»gen4.hughesnet.com/explore-plans

Monthly Data Allowance is the sum of the Anytime and Bonus Bytes.

Plans only available on the EchoStar XVII satellite

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28

What is the difference between Data Allowance (anytime) and Bonus Bytes?

With HughesNet Gen4 your total monthly Data Allowance includes two components: 1) A generous anytime Data Allowance that can be utilized at any time, including during peak daytime hours. The amount of your "anytime" allowance depends on the plan you choose. The Power plan comes with 10GB, the Power PRO plan comes with 15GB, and the Power MAX plan comes with 20GB. 2) Each HughesNet Gen4 plan also comes with an equivalent amount of extra Data Allowance called Bonus Byte, which can be utilized during the off-peak, nighttime hours (2AM-8AM in your local time zone.) Bonus Bytes are a value-added feature you can get only with HughesNet Gen4. With Bonus Bytes and the Download Manager tool offered with HughesNet, you can schedule large downloads such as Microsoft software updates to take place during the night so they only use Bonus Bytes and have no impact on your "anytime" Data Allowance. Bonus Bytes are another way HughesNet Gen4 lets you do more than any other satellite Internet service.

»gen4.hughesnet.com/learn-more/questions

Expand your moderator at work

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to DrStrangLov

Re: Now Selling HughesNet Gen4!

ACTUALLY, Hughesnet is offering more generous data plans at cheaper BASE rates. (although undetermined whether there is a "FREE ZONE" yet...this would definately be a factor).

EXEDE is 7.5gb $49
15gb=$79
25gb=129

Hughesnet Gen4
10gb=49
30gb=79 (offering TWICE as much as exede)
40gb=99 (15gb more than exede @ $30 cheaper)....

Has it been determined whether Gen4 will offer a "free zone" after midnight?

Also, Hughesnet "upfront fee" is $99, instead of Viasat's $49 (limited time offer).

My general dealing with Hughesnet 2 years ago is probably telling me that nothing changed about them, so I'd beware.

Expand your moderator at work

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH
reply to compuguybna

Re: Now Selling HughesNet Gen4!

However, the devil is in the details. You need to read the small print.

The Hughesnet plans need to be split between prime and off-prime (off-prime being 2am to 8am). So in reality, the primetime plans are 10gb, 15gb, and 20gb.

Comparing to Viasat. The 10gb plan is the same cost IF you buy Exede through Dish or the NRTC. The 15gb plan is the same cost. The 20gb plan is cheaper with Hughesnet, BUT you are capped @ 40gb for the month.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to compuguybna

Hughesnet is actually:
10GB $49.99 (Promotional)
10GB $59.99 (Typical)
15GB $79.99
20GB $99.99

Plus that much again at night. No unlimited nights.
Plus one time fee of $99 for equipment plus $9.99 for the equipment lease. Purchase optional but price not listed.

Exede is:
7.5GB $49.99
15GB $79.99
25GB $129.99

Plus unlimited nights.
Plus one time fee of $49.99 plus $9.99 per month for equipment lease or a one time fee of $219.99.

HomesFusion is:
10GB $60.00
20GB $90.00
30GB $120.00

Nothing extra at night.
Plus a one time fee of ~$199.99.

It seems all have $10 per GB overages. None of them offer much value. Although if I needed more usage I would choose Exede. If not I would go with HomeFusion. Hughes can shove this one.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
reply to DrStrangLov

No real explanation..... What defines "anytime" and "bonus"???

"Monthly Data Allowance is the sum of the Anytime and Bonus Bytes."

silbaco
Premium
USA

said by compuguybna:

No real explanation..... What defines "anytime" and "bonus"???

"Monthly Data Allowance is the sum of the Anytime and Bonus Bytes."

Anytime is for your traditional usage. Bonus is in place of the unlimited nights. So you get to use the Bonus data between 12AM and whenever.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to DrStrangLov

I have read the "bonus data" is between 2am and 8am. Which is not good unless you are really a late night owl!

Viasat's "Late Night Free Download Zone" looks better and better.

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to DrStrangLov

Viasat in general is sounding like the better deal. And that's scary.

I find it interesting that Hughesnet did actually increase the size of their caps. But for that increase you lose unlimited nights and now your upload counts against your caps. So really you have arguably less than you started off with.

They must already be planning on overselling. "During peak hours, actual upload and download speeds will likely be lower than speeds indicated."

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

said by silbaco:

Viasat in general is sounding like the better deal.

Not to me. I just went on the Gen4 upgrade list today.

//greg//

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to compuguybna

said by compuguybna:

Hughesnet Gen4
10gb=49
30gb=79 (offering TWICE as much as exede)
40gb=99 (15gb more than exede @ $30 cheaper)....

Actually that's grossly misleading, when you read the details:

"What is the difference between Data Allowance (anytime) and Bonus Bytes?
With HughesNet Gen4 your total monthly Data Allowance includes two components: 1) A generous anytime Data Allowance that can be utilized at any time, including during peak daytime hours. The amount of your "anytime" allowance depends on the plan you choose. The Power plan comes with 10GB, the Power PRO plan comes with 15GB, and the Power MAX plan comes with 20GB. 2) Each HughesNet Gen4 plan also comes with an equivalent amount of extra Data Allowance called Bonus Byte, which can be utilized during the off-peak, nighttime hours (2AM-8AM in your local time zone.) Bonus Bytes are a value-added feature you can get only with HughesNet Gen4. With Bonus Bytes and the Download Manager tool offered with HughesNet, you can schedule large downloads such as Microsoft software updates to take place during the night so they only use Bonus Bytes and have no impact on your "anytime" Data Allowance. Bonus Bytes are another way HughesNet Gen4 lets you do more than any other satellite Internet service."

So you see, only half your cap applies to most of the time you'll be using it. So the caps are really:

The other half of the cap is only usable 2am-8am. And that answers your second question... There is no free zone. It's a "secondary cap zone". They add both numbers together to get the total "massive" cap they advertise... In other words it's marketing trickery. They should have just stuck with the old rolling daily cap + free zone they have been doing with thier other service. It makes more sense and is better for users, IMO.

Viasat does 7/15/25 with a 5 hour cap free zone 12-5am. So yes, they are indeed the better deal from a data usage standpoint. That could change of course, depending on if Hughes lets you buy extra data and at what price. With Viasat you have to pay $10 to get an extra gig on your cap. If Hughes undercuts that with say, $10 for 10 extra gigs, then they would become the better deal.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to grohgreg

said by grohgreg:

said by silbaco:

Viasat in general is sounding like the better deal.

Not to me. I just went on the Gen4 upgrade list today.

//greg//

Greg,

I am curious to understand your reasoning. Can you explain why you think Gen4 would be the better deal? What am I missing?

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to DrStrangLov

Ok so for rural people to get somewhat real internet one needs

Verizon HomeFusion 30 GB $120
Verizon USB dongle 20 GB $150
WB Excede 25 GB $140( includes $10 month equipment fee )
Hughesnet 20 GB $100

So $510 for minimum 95 GB but you get unlimited data from 12-5 AM with Excede then you can use up to 20 GB a month from 5-8 AM with Highesnet. Maybe in 2032 these people can finally get 2012 internet.

Heh213

join:2012-06-16
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

said by 88615298:

So $510 for minimum 95 GB but you get unlimited data from 12-5 AM with Excede then you can use up to 20 GB a month from 5-8 AM with Highesnet. Maybe in 2032 these people can finally get 2012 internet.

Still less than running a dedicated line I'm afraid. :\

As for me it's not looking like I'm upgrading. Saying I use only 2GB a night for updates (OSes, Steam, etc) and YouTube / School that can add up to over 60GB on my cute "basic" plan I have.

ricky_005

join:2012-01-17
united state
reply to silbaco

Amend brother.....

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

4 edits
reply to OldSatUser

said by OldSatUser:

I am curious to understand your reasoning. Can you explain why you think Gen4 would be the better deal? What am I missing?

Experience perhaps. And interest stimulated by a career in telecommunications/satcom. I've been a DirecPC/Direcway/HughesNet subscriber since the old gray dish days. For those who are newer to the game, that's a service back when they called themselves DirecPC. it was a one-way (receive) satellite service that required a dial-up account for the send side.

In the ensuing years, they evolved into Direcway - then into HughesNet. During those years I also closely watched the competition, sort of a "grass is greener" thing. Starband blossomed for a while, but couldn't maintain the pace. A few one-way providers made noise for a while. Wildblue started out with a bang, then made some technically unsound changes that soured my impression. And I'm not convinced that ViaSat is interested in raising what I still think is a rather low bar.

Some folks won't own anything but Chevrolets. They wear out one, then buy another. I've had consistent and dependable service from Hughes, but my hardware is dated. It's time to move on to newer technology. Given my poor impressions of the competition, staying with Hughes is - to me - a no brainer.

And then there's value. I'm currently paying $80/mo for an (up to) 1500/200 plan. That's kilobits per second. It has a monthly throughput limit of less than 13GB and an unlimited off-peak window. The $80 Gen4 plan provides (up to) 10/2 (that's megabits per second) and 30GB/month. And yes, I understand 15 peak + 15 off peak. Given also that I understand and accept that streaming full length movies is not in the cards for satellite subscribers, I see the Gen4 upgrade as getting more than I have now - for the same money.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

Heh213

Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

Fair enough, report in on how it goes.

I use a pretty hefty amount of data during the night so being told "We're going to limit you" sounds like a disaster, but if it's well within your usage and you will get better service than your old equipment it doesn't sound like too horrible of a deal.

I'm still bitter about the "DO MORE" thing on their page, figuring they're actually giving people less in many cases (and splitting up the data). Really curious if they're going to do anything with the reset tokens etc.

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

I think that some of recent posts in this thread show well why different people have different views about the plan offerings with the Gen4 service.

I've read in the past from multiple sources that the typical Hughes customer uses an average of somewhere between 50 and 100 MB of bandwidth per day. I was a Hughes customer for about 5 years. During that time, my average bandwidth consumption per day was in that 50 to 100 MB range.

When I became aware of the fact that paying for a higher-tiered service plan gave the benefit, besides faster advertised speeds, of being assigned to a gateway in which you are sharing bandwidth with fewer customers, I got my advertised speeds 24/7, and I was more than happy to have the Hughes service considering that I had no other alternatives except dial-up. If I were still a Hughes customer, I would be in the group that would be excited about the opportunity to move to Gen4 service. I would welcome the faster speeds for those times when I have to do software downloads or updates and for the rare occasions when I would want to watch (short) video content, and I would also welcome what should be more reliable and consistent service because of both newer technology and from the fact that it should be quite a while before available bandwidth with the new service becomes strained. On the other hand, for those who use much larger amounts of bandwidth each day, they are never going to be happy with any satellite service because the reality is that providing bandwidth via satellite is sufficiently expensive so as require very modest daily or monthly bandwidth usage limits if the service is going to be kept at a price point that is even remotely affordable.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to DrStrangLov

After reading the explanations of "anytime" and "bonus", that has to be the stupidest thing i ever heard of. So, if you're not up at 2-8am downloading stuff, you're actually LOSING 50% of your data allowance. That's just plain stupid Hughesnet!!!!!!you will have SO MANY confused people it won't be funny. I had actually given Gen4 high hopes. You guys had a perfect opportunity to observe and LEARN about what VIASAT did with the same satellite (exede), but actually, you've made it worse and alot more complicated. Hughes takes away the FREE download zone, and EXEDE adds it just this week. anyone would have to be totally stupid to go with hughes Gen4 at this point. Good luck with all the complaints on this one!

Heh213

Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to One More Too

said by One More Too:

I've read in the past from multiple sources that the typical Hughes customer uses an average of somewhere between 50 and 100 MB of bandwidth per day. I was a Hughes customer for about 5 years. During that time, my average bandwidth consumption per day was in that 50 to 100 MB range.

Bandwidth needs are ever increasing, but you do have a somewhat valid point. Figuring there has already been strict caps on the service the proper summary in my opinion is: "How much data is used when there are these restrictions?". There is no such thing as a one size fits all I'm afraid. Before the extra "Download Bank" I'd use only 100MB or so because I didn't want to risk something on someone's computer updating and making the internet more useless than normal.

said by One More Too:

I had no other alternatives except dial-up. I would be in the group that would be excited about the opportunity to move to Gen4 service.

Pretty much, really comparing sat service to DSL/Cable/Fiber isn't going to get anyone anywhere, bottom line is you can't get it or you would have it.
said by One More Too:

Those who use much larger amounts of bandwidth each day are never going to be happy with any satellite service because the reality is that providing bandwidth via satellite is sufficiently expensive so as require very modest daily or monthly bandwidth usage limits if the service is going to be kept at a price point that is even remotely affordable.

Yup, I fall into that category a fair bit, though I try my best to be realistic, it's an incredible bummer there isn't any service out here that service my needs for the price point.

The main issue isn't that "sat sucks", "is a rip off", "blah CROOKS blah". The main issue is that we don't have an alternative to meet our needs (well, ok wants in most cases).

I don't think the new plans are upgrades personally figuring they give less data to use. "Doing more" requires more data and not less, was hoping there'd be some sort of magic bullet that was reasonable.

Until someone provides a better alternative we're sunk, but that's how it is currently, maybe someday we'll get lucky.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium
join:2003-07-10
reply to DrStrangLov

I'll let some of you test it out first. Not being a heavy downloader, I could save some money.

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL
reply to Heh213

said by Heh213:

said by One More Too:

Bandwidth needs are ever increasing, but you do have a somewhat valid point. Figuring there has already been strict caps on the service the proper summary in my opinion is: "How much data is used when there are these restrictions?". There is no such thing as a one size fits all I'm afraid. Before the extra "Download Bank" I'd use only 100MB or so because I didn't want to risk something on someone's computer updating and making the internet more useless than normal.

said by One More Too:

I had no other alternatives except dial-up. I would be in the group that would be excited about the opportunity to move to Gen4 service.

Pretty much, really comparing sat service to DSL/Cable/Fiber isn't going to get anyone anywhere, bottom line is you can't get it or you would have it.
said by One More Too:

Those who use much larger amounts of bandwidth each day are never going to be happy with any satellite service because the reality is that providing bandwidth via satellite is sufficiently expensive so as require very modest daily or monthly bandwidth usage limits if the service is going to be kept at a price point that is even remotely affordable.

Yup, I fall into that category a fair bit, though I try my best to be realistic, it's an incredible bummer there isn't any service out here that service my needs for the price point.

The main issue isn't that "sat sucks", "is a rip off", "blah CROOKS blah". The main issue is that we don't have an alternative to meet our needs (well, ok wants in most cases).

I don't think the new plans are upgrades personally figuring they give less data to use. "Doing more" requires more data and not less, was hoping there'd be some sort of magic bullet that was reasonable.

Until someone provides a better alternative we're sunk, but that's how it is currently, maybe someday we'll get lucky.

Don't give up hope. Over the years, I've read many posts on this board from people who were sure that they would never have any options for internet access other than satellite or dial-up, and they were surprised when one did occur.

For me, during my 5 years as a Hughes customer, there were a couple of companies offering WISP/fixed wireless services in my area, but I'm tucked into the timber, and, even though they had a handful of towers within range of my house, the timber blocked line-of-sight, and I couldn't get a signal. Then, about 2 years ago, one of the companies put up a new tower, and I was extremely lucky that the tower was in the only 10-15 degree opening that I have through the trees in any direction. I know that the service that I'm getting is not close to what those in town have available to them, but I'm getting a steady 6 megabits per second down, 2 megabits per second up 24/7 with 30-45 ms pings, no download limits, and a connection that actually works quickly with secure connections and ftp transfers. It may not be a 30-40 megabit connection, but I'm glad to have it. That said, if the trees eventually grow and close off my line-of-sight to the tower, I won't hesitate to go back to a satellite connection as an alternative to dial-up.

Iowa Cowboy

join:2012-08-16
Monticello, IA

what!!!! I would cut the trees....lol

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to DrStrangLov

Greg...

Thanks for the reply. I might go back as far as you. I had Hughesnet when it was Direcpc. I "believe" I got it around 1996 or say. I thought the original Direcpc worked great! Of course, there was no data intensive websites like there are today!

In 2006 I finally dumped Hughesnet and went with Wildblue. I have been with Wildblue for 6 years now (no complaints).

I was 95% sure I was going to switch back to Hughesnet this fall. Then two things happened. 1) Exede announced the late night free zone last week. 2) Hughesnet Gen4 plans were announced. That did it for me. I upgraded to Exede this week and am now using it. It is definitely faster and I see some performance improvements, but I don't think it is that significant of improvement (I use a T1 at work so of course I am spoiled a little).

In the end, as strange as this sounds, I am going to SAVE over $20/month by increasing my speed from 1.5mps to 12mps (yes I know up to), lowering my cap from 17gb to 10gb, but gaining unlimited download for 5 hours/day. Not a bad deal at all, IMHO.

JulioF

join:2006-11-01
Leander, TX
reply to Heh213

Game Changer!

Exede has changed their offer. Now they will provide free bandwidth between the hours of midnight and 5:00am.

The slam dunk heard 'round the satellite internet world!

Hughesnet will be providing up to 40GB per month, with 20 of that available only overnight. For $99/month.

Exede will be providing 7.5GB per month during the day, and an all-the-bandwidth-you-can-eat feast overnight. I wouldn't be surprised if one could download over 20GB per night at these speeds! And all of this for $49/month (plus the lease fee of $9.99/month - same fee that HN will be charging).

Step right up for Exede, folks! And maybe, just maybe, their network will not drop connections during large downloads as the Hughesnet system currently does - nearly 100% of the time in my case.
--
Hughesnet | small biz | .98 | 2 watt | 99 West | 1370 MHZ | Signal 81-85
WinXP SP2 | Intel 2.66 GHZ Core 2 Duo

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to OldSatUser

I had two Hughesnet systems. Late in 08 when spaceway 3 wasn't so overcrowded...(issue after issue and my speeds convinced me something was wrong). ECC convinced me it was a bad install......Went for a second system in early 09. went good for 30 days, then came the throttling. Day 34, I think it was, I ripped the sat off my house, called ECC up again (All they could say is "WE DON'T GUARANTEE SPEEDS"...Mr William Smouse at ECC, and Caren, the airhead tech at ECC), and disputed all the charges made to my credit card, shipped the modem and receiver back, and that was it for Hughesnet. if It wasn't trying to get internet for my brother and sister who live outside any dsl/cable/3g connection, I wouldn't even be keeping up with any of the sat forum/chatter. EXEDE is the way to go now it seems.

said by OldSatUser:

Greg...

Thanks for the reply. I might go back as far as you. I had Hughesnet when it was Direcpc. I "believe" I got it around 1996 or say. I thought the original Direcpc worked great! Of course, there was no data intensive websites like there are today!

In 2006 I finally dumped Hughesnet and went with Wildblue. I have been with Wildblue for 6 years now (no complaints).

I was 95% sure I was going to switch back to Hughesnet this fall. Then two things happened. 1) Exede announced the late night free zone last week. 2) Hughesnet Gen4 plans were announced. That did it for me. I upgraded to Exede this week and am now using it. It is definitely faster and I see some performance improvements, but I don't think it is that significant of improvement (I use a T1 at work so of course I am spoiled a little).

In the end, as strange as this sounds, I am going to SAVE over $20/month by increasing my speed from 1.5mps to 12mps (yes I know up to), lowering my cap from 17gb to 10gb, but gaining unlimited download for 5 hours/day. Not a bad deal at all, IMHO.