how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

John43

@direcpc.com
reply to DrStrangLov

Re: Now Selling HughesNet Gen4!

Just deciding whether to upgrade my current HN7000 with the power 150 plan to one of the faster services.

Probably the Hughes Power Pro, as although Hughes is not perfect, I have more than a decade's experience with them, and I have heard worse things about Exede's service.

I rarely make much of a dent in my current 475 MB daily allowance, so the 15GB/month should be plenty, unless I start downloading videos and stuff.

So, here's some complete newbie's questions on that topic. My apologies if I should ask these somewhere else, but how big is a typical movie? How practical will it be to download one to my computer and then wifi it to my TV? Can I download while I watch, and/or does one download first and then watch? Is there a buffering issue, as I currently get with You Tube with my current setup?

Your patience is appreciated, thanks.

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

said by John43 :

Just deciding whether to upgrade my current HN7000 with the power 150 plan to one of the faster services.

Probably the Hughes Power Pro, as although Hughes is not perfect, I have more than a decade's experience with them, and I have heard worse things about Exede's service.

I rarely make much of a dent in my current 475 MB daily allowance, so the 15GB/month should be plenty, unless I start downloading videos and stuff.

So, here's some complete newbie's questions on that topic. My apologies if I should ask these somewhere else, but how big is a typical movie? How practical will it be to download one to my computer and then wifi it to my TV? Can I download while I watch, and/or does one download first and then watch? Is there a buffering issue, as I currently get with You Tube with my current setup?

Your patience is appreciated, thanks.

I think that a typical standard definition movie should run around 1 gigabyte. A typical HD 1080i movie would run about 2 gigabytes, and a typical HD 1080p movie would run around 4 gigabytes.

How the download and buffering proceeds depends on the source. If, for example, you were doing a download via DIRECTV on-demand service, it would actually be recorded to your DIRECTV DVR hard drive. If your download speeds aren't fast enough to watch it in real time, you can let it record completely and watch it later. With many other internet based video sources, nothing is actually being recorded to your computer's hard drive. You are pretty much limited to watching in real time, and many sources will detect your connection speed and vary the quality of the stream to match your download speed and enable adequate buffering.

I would think that the new monthly allowances would be welcome to those who want to watch, at least, a modest amount of video content. With the daily allowances that exist now, a single 2 hour movie would send you into FAP. With the monthly allowances, you might be able to budget available bandwidth and be able to get a couple of movies per month in and, perhaps, more if you sign up for a higher-tiered plan.

Iowa Cowboy

join:2012-08-16
Monticello, IA
reply to DrStrangLov

save yourself time, money and headaches, rent the movie

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to DrStrangLov

Waived Activation on POWER plan

Looks like they are waiving the activation/setup fee on the starter plan, and you can lock the intro rate for 2 years.

Looks like they are requiring a $50 deposit now as well, refundable upon activation on your first bill.

Quoted from the FAQS...."You get the special $49.99 price locked in for 24 months and we are waiving the $99 set up fee for the Power plan!

BUT is states only on the POWER plan (10+10GB)

Iowa Cowboy

Monticello, IA

ummm....hell no thank you very much

John43

@direcpc.com
reply to One More Too

said by One More Too:

said by John43 :

I think that a typical standard definition movie should run around 1 gigabyte. A typical HD 1080i movie would run about 2 gigabytes, and a typical HD 1080p movie would run around 4 gigabytes.

How the download and buffering proceeds depends on the source. If, for example, you were doing a download via DIRECTV on-demand service, it would actually be recorded to your DIRECTV DVR hard drive. If your download speeds aren't fast enough to watch it in real time, you can let it record completely and watch it later. With many other internet based video sources, nothing is actually being recorded to your computer's hard drive. You are pretty much limited to watching in real time, and many sources will detect your connection speed and vary the quality of the stream to match your download speed and enable adequate buffering.

I would think that the new monthly allowances would be welcome to those who want to watch, at least, a modest amount of video content. With the daily allowances that exist now, a single 2 hour movie would send you into FAP. With the monthly allowances, you might be able to budget available bandwidth and be able to get a couple of movies per month in and, perhaps, more if you sign up for a higher-tiered plan.

Thanks, that's a great answer. I had completely forgotten that the DirecTV DVR will be able to "see" the Hughes satellite without going through my computer.

As far as renting dvd's are concerned, do that already and probably will still do so (via Netflix). However the nearest rental place is over twenty miles away, inconvenient when you sit down and realize there's nothing to watch on the DVR or live.

So, a small number of downloads a month will be welcome.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to DrStrangLov

Gen4 is not very update friendly without the free nights. If you use some of the more cutting-edge Linux distros such as Fedora or Arch, they have an impressive appetite. Get a few Windows boxes and a few Linux boxes and you could burn through several gigs a month in updates alone. Not to mention when new Linux distro releases come out (Arch excluded) and you want a clean upgrade, you have to down the latest ISO. Fedora 17 is 4GB. That's going to hurt on the basic HughesNet package.

bak2st

@wildblue.net

I have exede and i havent gone over my 10 gig/month yet... I use my Xbox to rent movies it let's u pick standard def or hd...... I also live 20 miles from civilization and renting DVDs is inconvenient.

I think the monthly allowances are fair if they gave us all a 100 gigs wed be fussin about our congested slow prime time. I would rather they be Conservative and keep quality of service up. Look at their financials they aren't making bank (wild blue/Hughes) they have to play the numbers right or they go bust and then were back to smoke signals and praying for fiber.

I hope they open up the late night zone for dish customers!

ricky_005

join:2012-01-17
united state

@bak2st
Do you have Exede 5 or 12?

The reason I ask is I saw where you posted your speed the other day.

Heh213

join:2012-06-16
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to DrStrangLov

Looks like the "Community" is very displeased as well.

»community.myhughesnet.com/hughes···re_sales

Maybe they'll change their minds on some things, but I doubt it.

Elkhorn

join:2009-12-31
Lyons, OR
reply to compuguybna

Re: Waived Activation on POWER plan

Just spoke with a customer rep - the $49.99 per mo/$99 setup on the Power plan is for new customers only. Exisiting HN customers switching plans will pay $59.99/$149.99..............
--
HN7000S 99 West 1250 MHZ Professional Pro Windows 7

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

setup is WAIVED on the POWER plan. Looks like Hughes people dont even know what they are talking about.

A $50 deposit is required, but its credited after activation on your first months bill, so they say.

said by Elkhorn:

Just spoke with a customer rep - the $49.99 per mo/$99 setup on the Power plan is for new customers only. Exisiting HN customers switching plans will pay $59.99/$149.99..............

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to DrStrangLov

I can't say I know many people who are happy about gen 4. The majority of people seem to plan on staying with what they have or switching to Exede.

anon87

@myvzw.com
reply to DrStrangLov

anyone have any idea what will be the minimum speed once FAP is reached? Could be a huge difference maker

silbaco
Premium
USA

said by anon87 :

anyone have any idea what will be the minimum speed once FAP is reached? Could be a huge difference maker

Doesn't look like they have unveiled that yet. I imagine no more than 256kbps.

Max Mouse

join:2010-02-28
reply to DrStrangLov

THats actually even worse than what we got now.... With Faster internet we'll just fap faster..and no Unlimited time? Are you serious.. We better off staying with what we have now...

I sometimes download 3GB-5GB from games during fap free times... off steam this is totally messed up.. Family all excited about watching movie during the day... now it looks like they are pretending they never mention anything about movies..

I never had any faith in Gen4 since they mentioned it and it obvious they were going to screw us over

ricky_005

join:2012-01-17
united state

The new plan are actually slower not faster......... The $79.95 Gen4 plans is marketed as 10 Mbps (megabit per second) Translated into there old marketing scheme is 1.25 MBps ( megabyte per second) You are getting cheated out of 0.25 MBps on your download speed.

HughesNet will give you the Shaft if you fall for there new marketing scheme about (10 Mbps (megabit per second)) == (1.25 MBps ( megabyte per second))

See this link for a more detailed view of whats going on »TrollFest

Iowa Cowboy

Monticello, IA

ok Ricky, I know I am not a rocket scientist, but really whats the big difference from MBps and Mbps...so one B is capitalized and the other is no, the B still stands for byte right?

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

MBps and mpbs is a big difference.

Hughesnet NEVER offered a 1.25MBps or even a 1.5MBps package on their current packages (not including Gen4)....still not sure what kinda comparison ricky_005 is trying to make.

said by Iowa Cowboy:

ok Ricky, I know I am not a rocket scientist, but really whats the big difference from MBps and Mbps...so one B is capitalized and the other is no, the B still stands for byte right?

Expand your moderator at work

Heh213

join:2012-06-16
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Iowa Cowboy

said by Iowa Cowboy:

Capital B is byte (8 bits total) while lower case b is 1 bit.

LINCSAT
Premium
join:2003-06-15
Markham, ON

1 edit
reply to DrStrangLov

Click for full size
downloadrequested_doc.pdf 2,106,728 bytes
Looks like they have changed the dish equipment. Also an interesting read on how google is a partner in building a new low latency satellite O3b, interesting read.

Elkhorn

join:2009-12-31
Lyons, OR
reply to Iowa Cowboy

B = Bytes, b= bits. 1 MBps = 8 mbps.
My current Pro plan is 1.4 mbps, there's noooo way it's 1.4 MBps (or 12 mbps.......)
--
HN7000S 99 West 1250 MHZ Professional Pro Windows 7

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

At least a few people understand the difference between MBps and Mbps.

said by Elkhorn:

B = Bytes, b= bits. 1 MBps = 8 mbps.
My current Pro plan is 1.4 mbps, there's noooo way it's 1.4 MBps (or 12 mbps.......)

Max Mouse

join:2010-02-28
reply to DrStrangLov

With 5-10 times faster internet we can fap 1 month's 20-10GB in less than 24 hours. Unlimited Cable/DSL internet please save us..

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

1 edit

There is no such thing as "unlimited" Cable/DSL here in TENNESSEE.....

they have caps as well. (250GB typically)

said by Max Mouse:

With 5-10 times faster internet we can fap 1 month's 20-10GB in less than 24 hours. Unlimited Cable/DSL internet please save us..

silbaco
Premium
USA

said by compuguybna:

There is no such thing as "unlimited" Cable/DSL.
they have caps as well. (250GB typically)

said by Max Mouse:

Actually there are several unlimited DSL connections. Verizon, Windstream, and Fairpoint are just a few. All the locals telcos around here are truly unlimited too if you are in their service area.

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

1 edit
reply to compuguybna

post delete--I mistakenly posted in the wrong thread.

zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..

My DSL is unlimited. They have the clause in there that if you use extreme amounts of data then they will investigate you but thats it. No caps, no limits. To bad the house I am living in is for sale and I can't buy it. Got a felling I will be back on satellite at some point in the near future.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network