Search similar:

uniqs
Elkhorn
join:2009-12-31
Lyons, OR

Elkhorn to compuguybna

to compuguybna

Re: Waived Activation on POWER plan

Just spoke with a customer rep - the $49.99 per mo/$99 setup on the Power plan is for new customers only. Exisiting HN customers switching plans will pay $59.99/$149.99..............

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

setup is WAIVED on the POWER plan. Looks like Hughes people dont even know what they are talking about.

A $50 deposit is required, but its credited after activation on your first months bill, so they say.
said by Elkhorn:

Just spoke with a customer rep - the $49.99 per mo/$99 setup on the Power plan is for new customers only. Exisiting HN customers switching plans will pay $59.99/$149.99..............

silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to DrStrangLov

Premium Member

to DrStrangLov

Re: Now Selling HughesNet Gen4!

I can't say I know many people who are happy about gen 4. The majority of people seem to plan on staying with what they have or switching to Exede.

anon87
@myvzw.com

anon87 to DrStrangLov

Anon

to DrStrangLov
anyone have any idea what will be the minimum speed once FAP is reached? Could be a huge difference maker
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

said by anon87 :

anyone have any idea what will be the minimum speed once FAP is reached? Could be a huge difference maker

Doesn't look like they have unveiled that yet. I imagine no more than 256kbps.
Max Mouse
join:2010-02-28

Max Mouse to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
THats actually even worse than what we got now.... With Faster internet we'll just fap faster..and no Unlimited time? Are you serious.. We better off staying with what we have now...

I sometimes download 3GB-5GB from games during fap free times... off steam this is totally messed up.. Family all excited about watching movie during the day... now it looks like they are pretending they never mention anything about movies..

I never had any faith in Gen4 since they mentioned it and it obvious they were going to screw us over
ricky_005
join:2012-01-17
united state

ricky_005

The new plan are actually slower not faster......... The $79.95 Gen4 plans is marketed as 10 Mbps (megabit per second) Translated into there old marketing scheme is 1.25 MBps ( megabyte per second) You are getting cheated out of 0.25 MBps on your download speed.

HughesNet will give you the Shaft if you fall for there new marketing scheme about (10 Mbps (megabit per second)) == (1.25 MBps ( megabyte per second))

See this link for a more detailed view of whats going on »TrollFest
Iowa Cowboy
join:2012-08-16
Monticello, IA

Iowa Cowboy

ok Ricky, I know I am not a rocket scientist, but really whats the big difference from MBps and Mbps...so one B is capitalized and the other is no, the B still stands for byte right?

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

MBps and mpbs is a big difference.

Hughesnet NEVER offered a 1.25MBps or even a 1.5MBps package on their current packages (not including Gen4)....still not sure what kinda comparison ricky_005 is trying to make.
said by Iowa Cowboy:

ok Ricky, I know I am not a rocket scientist, but really whats the big difference from MBps and Mbps...so one B is capitalized and the other is no, the B still stands for byte right?

Expand your moderator at work

Heh213
join:2012-06-16

Heh213 to Iowa Cowboy

to Iowa Cowboy

Re: Now Selling HughesNet Gen4!

said by Iowa Cowboy:

Capital B is byte (8 bits total) while lower case b is 1 bit.
LINCSAT
Premium Member
join:2003-06-15
Markham, ON

1 edit

LINCSAT to DrStrangLov

Premium Member

to DrStrangLov

Click for full size
requested_doc.pdf
2,106,728 bytes
Looks like they have changed the dish equipment. Also an interesting read on how google is a partner in building a new low latency satellite O3b, interesting read.
Elkhorn
join:2009-12-31
Lyons, OR

Elkhorn to Iowa Cowboy

to Iowa Cowboy
B = Bytes, b= bits. 1 MBps = 8 mbps.
My current Pro plan is 1.4 mbps, there's noooo way it's 1.4 MBps (or 12 mbps.......)

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

At least a few people understand the difference between MBps and Mbps.
said by Elkhorn:

B = Bytes, b= bits. 1 MBps = 8 mbps.
My current Pro plan is 1.4 mbps, there's noooo way it's 1.4 MBps (or 12 mbps.......)

Max Mouse
join:2010-02-28

Max Mouse to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
With 5-10 times faster internet we can fap 1 month's 20-10GB in less than 24 hours. Unlimited Cable/DSL internet please save us..

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

1 edit

compuguybna

There is no such thing as "unlimited" Cable/DSL here in TENNESSEE.....

they have caps as well. (250GB typically)
said by Max Mouse:

With 5-10 times faster internet we can fap 1 month's 20-10GB in less than 24 hours. Unlimited Cable/DSL internet please save us..

silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

said by compuguybna:

There is no such thing as "unlimited" Cable/DSL.
they have caps as well. (250GB typically)

said by Max Mouse:

Actually there are several unlimited DSL connections. Verizon, Windstream, and Fairpoint are just a few. All the locals telcos around here are truly unlimited too if you are in their service area.
One More Too
join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

1 edit

One More Too to compuguybna

to compuguybna
post delete--I mistakenly posted in the wrong thread.
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar

My DSL is unlimited. They have the clause in there that if you use extreme amounts of data then they will investigate you but thats it. No caps, no limits. To bad the house I am living in is for sale and I can't buy it. Got a felling I will be back on satellite at some point in the near future.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member
join:2003-07-10

Just Rachel to DrStrangLov

Premium Member

to DrStrangLov
I wonder if they will start counting uploads.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

said by Just Rachel:

Upload is included in the caps now.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member
join:2003-07-10

Just Rachel

Premium Member

"Does the Fair Access Policy apply to uploads or downloads?
Currently, the Fair Access Policy applies only to downloads – that is, data that you receive from the Internet. Uploads, for example sending photos in an email, are not counted against your Download Allowance."

»services.hughesnet.com/s ··· ndex.cfm
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Not that way on Gen4

»community.myhughesnet.co ··· us_bytes
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar

Looks like I might have misjudged thier ability to oversell the availible bandwidth on SW17. I don't know who all caught it but here is an interesting read concerning the possible demise of the fast service and low latency of the 2 new satellites that just went up.

»www.nbcnews.com/technolo ··· -957135?

It is an article about a cheap end user freindly and aimable antenna for satellite that also is suppose to have the ability to keep satellite reception at high traveling speeds such as RV, bus, train and airlines. If it works and they say it does and if it is cheap enough then I can easily see those new satellites getting crowded pretty quick after the release of this product.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to Just Rachel

to Just Rachel
said by Just Rachel:

See #12 here: »gen4.hughesnet.com/learn ··· uestions

//greg//
grohgreg

grohgreg to zeddlar

to zeddlar
said by zeddlar:

It is an article about a cheap end user freindly and aimable antenna for satellite that also is suppose to have the ability to keep satellite reception at high traveling speeds such as RV, bus, train and airlines.

Unless/until providers offer beam-switching consumer grade accounts, this device is likely only effective until your mode of transportation leaves your assigned beam.

//greg//

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
What I think is that if HUGHES got rid of the restrictions of the "anytime" and "bonus" times, and COMBINED them, it would be alot better sellling point for them.

Advertising the base plan as 20GB, then restricting WHEN you can use it, just doesn't make any sense (and perhaps these decisions were made MONTHS in advance to actually posting them on the website).

If you're not a night owl or don't do huge downloads between 2am to 8am, you're basically losing 10GB of your usage/cap, because you'd not be on the system at that time to use it.

Even as restricted and limited as mobile broadband is (cellular), they definately dont restrict WHEN you can use your typical 5GB.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

said by compuguybna:

What I think is that if HUGHES got rid of the restrictions of the "anytime" and "bonus" times, and COMBINED them, it would be alot better sellling point for them.

Advertising the base plan as 20GB, then restricting WHEN you can use it, just doesn't make any sense (and perhaps these decisions were made MONTHS in advance to actually posting them on the website).

If you're not a night owl or don't do huge downloads between 2am to 8am, you're basically losing 10GB of your usage/cap, because you'd not be on the system at that time to use it.

Even as restricted and limited as mobile broadband is (cellular), they definately dont restrict WHEN you can use your typical 5GB.

I can understand why they have 2 separate usage caps. If they were to be combined truly, there would be nothing stopping a regular person from using all their data allotment during peak time. By splitting it up, the data usage will be more evenly distributed.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to compuguybna

to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

What is it you don't understand about download managers? Or is it you just don't want to use one?

//greg//