Expand your moderator at work

Heh213

join:2012-06-16
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Iowa Cowboy

Re: Now Selling HughesNet Gen4!

said by Iowa Cowboy:

ok Ricky, I know I am not a rocket scientist, but really whats the big difference from MBps and Mbps...so one B is capitalized and the other is no, the B still stands for byte right?

Capital B is byte (8 bits total) while lower case b is 1 bit.

LINCSAT
Premium
join:2003-06-15
Markham, ON

1 edit
reply to DrStrangLov

Click for full size
downloadrequested_doc.pdf 2,106,728 bytes
Looks like they have changed the dish equipment. Also an interesting read on how google is a partner in building a new low latency satellite O3b, interesting read.

Elkhorn

join:2009-12-31
Lyons, OR
reply to Iowa Cowboy
B = Bytes, b= bits. 1 MBps = 8 mbps.
My current Pro plan is 1.4 mbps, there's noooo way it's 1.4 MBps (or 12 mbps.......)
--
HN7000S 99 West 1250 MHZ Professional Pro Windows 7

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
At least a few people understand the difference between MBps and Mbps.

said by Elkhorn:

B = Bytes, b= bits. 1 MBps = 8 mbps.
My current Pro plan is 1.4 mbps, there's noooo way it's 1.4 MBps (or 12 mbps.......)

Max Mouse

join:2010-02-28
reply to DrStrangLov
With 5-10 times faster internet we can fap 1 month's 20-10GB in less than 24 hours. Unlimited Cable/DSL internet please save us..

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

1 edit
There is no such thing as "unlimited" Cable/DSL here in TENNESSEE.....

they have caps as well. (250GB typically)

said by Max Mouse:

With 5-10 times faster internet we can fap 1 month's 20-10GB in less than 24 hours. Unlimited Cable/DSL internet please save us..

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
said by compuguybna:

There is no such thing as "unlimited" Cable/DSL.
they have caps as well. (250GB typically)

said by Max Mouse:

Actually there are several unlimited DSL connections. Verizon, Windstream, and Fairpoint are just a few. All the locals telcos around here are truly unlimited too if you are in their service area.

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

1 edit
reply to compuguybna
post delete--I mistakenly posted in the wrong thread.

zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..
My DSL is unlimited. They have the clause in there that if you use extreme amounts of data then they will investigate you but thats it. No caps, no limits. To bad the house I am living in is for sale and I can't buy it. Got a felling I will be back on satellite at some point in the near future.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium
join:2003-07-10
reply to DrStrangLov
I wonder if they will start counting uploads.

silbaco
Premium
USA
said by Just Rachel:

Upload is included in the caps now.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium
"Does the Fair Access Policy apply to uploads or downloads?
Currently, the Fair Access Policy applies only to downloads – that is, data that you receive from the Internet. Uploads, for example sending photos in an email, are not counted against your Download Allowance."

»services.hughesnet.com/service_t···ndex.cfm

silbaco
Premium
USA

zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..
Looks like I might have misjudged thier ability to oversell the availible bandwidth on SW17. I don't know who all caught it but here is an interesting read concerning the possible demise of the fast service and low latency of the 2 new satellites that just went up.

»www.nbcnews.com/technology/futur···-957135?

It is an article about a cheap end user freindly and aimable antenna for satellite that also is suppose to have the ability to keep satellite reception at high traveling speeds such as RV, bus, train and airlines. If it works and they say it does and if it is cheap enough then I can easily see those new satellites getting crowded pretty quick after the release of this product.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to Just Rachel
said by Just Rachel:

See #12 here: »gen4.hughesnet.com/learn-more/questions

//greg//

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to zeddlar
said by zeddlar:

It is an article about a cheap end user freindly and aimable antenna for satellite that also is suppose to have the ability to keep satellite reception at high traveling speeds such as RV, bus, train and airlines.

Unless/until providers offer beam-switching consumer grade accounts, this device is likely only effective until your mode of transportation leaves your assigned beam.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to DrStrangLov
What I think is that if HUGHES got rid of the restrictions of the "anytime" and "bonus" times, and COMBINED them, it would be alot better sellling point for them.

Advertising the base plan as 20GB, then restricting WHEN you can use it, just doesn't make any sense (and perhaps these decisions were made MONTHS in advance to actually posting them on the website).

If you're not a night owl or don't do huge downloads between 2am to 8am, you're basically losing 10GB of your usage/cap, because you'd not be on the system at that time to use it.

Even as restricted and limited as mobile broadband is (cellular), they definately dont restrict WHEN you can use your typical 5GB.

silbaco
Premium
USA
said by compuguybna:

What I think is that if HUGHES got rid of the restrictions of the "anytime" and "bonus" times, and COMBINED them, it would be alot better sellling point for them.

Advertising the base plan as 20GB, then restricting WHEN you can use it, just doesn't make any sense (and perhaps these decisions were made MONTHS in advance to actually posting them on the website).

If you're not a night owl or don't do huge downloads between 2am to 8am, you're basically losing 10GB of your usage/cap, because you'd not be on the system at that time to use it.

Even as restricted and limited as mobile broadband is (cellular), they definately dont restrict WHEN you can use your typical 5GB.

I can understand why they have 2 separate usage caps. If they were to be combined truly, there would be nothing stopping a regular person from using all their data allotment during peak time. By splitting it up, the data usage will be more evenly distributed.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

What is it you don't understand about download managers? Or is it you just don't want to use one?

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
said by grohgreg:

What is it you don't understand about download managers? Or is it you just don't want to use one?

Also there's BITS-Client, which can be set to limit all Windows Updates to the overnight hours.

The only thing I haven't figured-out how to beat yet is Apple Store updates. I suppose I can write an AutoHotKey or AutoIt script to handle it, but in the meantime whenever I find myself awake in those wee hours I do those by hand.

Yeah we have some apps in the GB range on our iGizmos.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium
reply to DrStrangLov
I've not figured out the download manager. I just stay up late when necessary.

Looking at their map (not a good map), It's borderline whether I could receive the service or not. I'll just stay where I'm at and listen for the reviews of those who change.
Expand your moderator at work

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to DrStrangLov

Re: Now Selling HughesNet Gen4!

OK I'm not if this was made clear. Is the bonus GBs counted FIRST or last? In other words say one has the 20 GB plan. Does the 20 bonus GB count first from 2 AM-8 AM and then when that is out they count from the regular 20 GB pool if there is any left? Or are you using you regular 20 GB pool first then you get the bonus after that's run out? It kind of makes a difference.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
BF69, from the hughesnet forums:

Patrick Fisher (Employee) 37 minutes ago

When you have no available bytes in your bucket for the current time period, your downloads will be slowed to approximately 150kbps. Your download speed will be reduced until you have more bytes, which happens at your next monthly refill time or when you use a Token. If you have used all of your Anytime bytes, but still have Bonus bytes, you will be able to download at full speed during the Bonus period until you use all off those bytes up.

Here's a simpler description - when you have bytes available, you are at full speed, and when you don't, your speed is reduced. During the Bonus Period, there's an extra bucket you can draw from automatically and which gets used first, so they're a bonus on top of your normal monthly data allowance.

LucasLee

join:2010-11-26
kudos:1
reply to laserfan
said by laserfan:

The only thing I haven't figured-out how to beat yet is Apple Store updates. I suppose I can write an AutoHotKey or AutoIt script to handle it, but in the meantime whenever I find myself awake in those wee hours I do those by hand.

have you tried using OS X's built-in Automator? it's certainly easier to use than Applescript ever was imo.

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
said by LucasLee:

said by laserfan:

have you tried using OS X's built-in Automator? it's certainly easier to use than Applescript ever was imo.

Thanks but no OS X computers here, at least not yet!

But it sounds like you even have to write a script if you have a Mac? Gosh at least MS gave us Bits-Client scheduling...