uniqs
share rss forum feed

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to grohgreg

Re: Now Selling HughesNet Gen4!

said by grohgreg:

What is it you don't understand about download managers? Or is it you just don't want to use one?

Also there's BITS-Client, which can be set to limit all Windows Updates to the overnight hours.

The only thing I haven't figured-out how to beat yet is Apple Store updates. I suppose I can write an AutoHotKey or AutoIt script to handle it, but in the meantime whenever I find myself awake in those wee hours I do those by hand.

Yeah we have some apps in the GB range on our iGizmos.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium
join:2003-07-10
reply to DrStrangLov
I've not figured out the download manager. I just stay up late when necessary.

Looking at their map (not a good map), It's borderline whether I could receive the service or not. I'll just stay where I'm at and listen for the reviews of those who change.
Expand your moderator at work

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to DrStrangLov

OK I'm not if this was made clear. Is the bonus GBs counted FIRST or last? In other words say one has the 20 GB plan. Does the 20 bonus GB count first from 2 AM-8 AM and then when that is out they count from the regular 20 GB pool if there is any left? Or are you using you regular 20 GB pool first then you get the bonus after that's run out? It kind of makes a difference.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
BF69, from the hughesnet forums:

Patrick Fisher (Employee) 37 minutes ago

When you have no available bytes in your bucket for the current time period, your downloads will be slowed to approximately 150kbps. Your download speed will be reduced until you have more bytes, which happens at your next monthly refill time or when you use a Token. If you have used all of your Anytime bytes, but still have Bonus bytes, you will be able to download at full speed during the Bonus period until you use all off those bytes up.

Here's a simpler description - when you have bytes available, you are at full speed, and when you don't, your speed is reduced. During the Bonus Period, there's an extra bucket you can draw from automatically and which gets used first, so they're a bonus on top of your normal monthly data allowance.

LucasLee

join:2010-11-26
kudos:1
reply to laserfan
said by laserfan:

The only thing I haven't figured-out how to beat yet is Apple Store updates. I suppose I can write an AutoHotKey or AutoIt script to handle it, but in the meantime whenever I find myself awake in those wee hours I do those by hand.

have you tried using OS X's built-in Automator? it's certainly easier to use than Applescript ever was imo.

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
said by LucasLee:

said by laserfan:

have you tried using OS X's built-in Automator? it's certainly easier to use than Applescript ever was imo.

Thanks but no OS X computers here, at least not yet!

But it sounds like you even have to write a script if you have a Mac? Gosh at least MS gave us Bits-Client scheduling...

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to DrStrangLov
I find it interesting the way HughesNet is advertising Gen4 and pretending as if Exede doesn't even exist. The employees keep pretending as if download managers (in general) are exclusive to HughesNet and as if they are the only company that allows you to buy "tokens" commonly known as overages. Then they come out and say "Each HugheNet service plan has a Data Allowance that is larger than other satellite providers." This would be true if Exede didn't offer completely unlimited usage at night.

The dishonest statements being made and the marketing of both "anytime" and "bonus" as if they were one big cap makes me think Hughes is stooping to a new low. Even though there is logic behind the switch to bonus versus unlimited free nights, the way it is being marketed is dishonest. If I were Viasat, I would be watching this closely for legal reasons.
Expand your moderator at work

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to silbaco

1. Be specific about which "employees". Then consider the number of salesmen and technicians that know everything there is to know about the product they sell and service.

2. The FAP/DAP comparison is fair, but far from dishonest. You seem to be taking this personally for some reason.

3. When you get right down to it, how much advertising - by anybody - is 100% forthright. Everybody's going to spin their product as better than somebody else's. Your criticism is barely short of nit-picking.

4. But I completely lost you at the last sentence. Calling Hughes advertising "dishonest" is one thing. But calling it "illegal" - without even citing a statute - is in itself dishonest.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH
While I don't see anything illegal, it is far from truthful marketing. If I had to guess, Hughesnet had their advertising and marketing plan developed for weeks. Then a week before the roll-out of Gen4 plans, Viasat drops a bombshell. IMHO, Hughesnet was too far into the process to stop everything and delay the Gen4 annoucements for a couple more weeks. So they just went with what they had drawn up.

At the beginning of August, Hughesnet Gen4 WOULD have offered the hghest data allowance of any satellite provider. However, by the end of August, this is no longer true. My guess at some point Hughesnet will quietly revamp some of the spin on how these documents are worded. Perhaps one of those astericks thats says "as of August 1, 2012" or something like that

sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV
reply to DrStrangLov
I have also found out from Sara an employee on the Hughes community that if you switch to Gen4 and you have tokens in your 7000 or 9000 account that they will be migrating them into your Gen4 account for future use.

Fuj

@direcpc.com
Well, I just got around to reviewing the plans for Gen4. This seems reasonable at first glance.. There is many factor's im worried about.

Will gaming be the same? You can play MMO's all day long with 0 usage, other than patches.

Also.. How does the speed lower? Say you only use the "Bonus 20gig's" would you see a decrease in speed during "peak hour's" more than usual?

How do the tokens work? 100% Restore, 1 Gig, Ect?

Going from an "Unlimited" 2-7 Fap-FREE peroid to a "20gig" 2-7 period is hideous.

Pre Gen4 - Fap-Free 2-7 4Gig's/Night x 30 = 120Gig's
Gen4 - WTF?

So the end result is.

Pre-Gen4 425MB/Day (12750Mbs) - Unlimited 2-7 (120Gig's) - Download Rate 150Kbs - Based on 1.5mbs plan.

Gen4 - 30Gig Monthly - Download Rate 1MegaByte

I love the "possible" speed's... But in the long run of downloading... you get screwed so hard.

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1
reply to OldSatUser
said by OldSatUser:

Then a week before the roll-out of Gen4 plans, Viasat drops a bombshell.

Hughes had a vantage point of seeing ViaSat's previous hand; so, they massaged their plans accordingly.

Needless to say, Hughes provided an incentive for Spaceway3 users to stay onboard with unlimited download zone.

washmo3693

join:2012-09-05
reply to DrStrangLov
as of right now i have 350 mb per day of data usage. when converted to gb per month that is roughly10.8 gbs. gen4 offers 15 gb of anytime data usage for about half the price i am paying now which is great. but i dont like the fact that there is a limit in the offtime.

with my current plan i have unlimited downloads from 2am-8am which is ok because i have the download manager(although it doesnt always work)

im torn between my current plan and gen4. i love that gen4 is more usage and cheaper, BUT i dont like being limited during the offtime hours.

when you think about you cant win with hughesnet. charter cable's basic plan is 10 times faster and 4 times cheaper than my current plan. AND charter does not limit your downloads.

my hope is that my area gets cable within the next couple years. if that happens i will be the first person to get it in my area.

JulioF

join:2006-11-01
Leander, TX
reply to DrStrangLov
Transitioned to Exede 12 a few weeks ago. Here's my speed tonight at around 11:00 CST:

»testmy.net/JzpPv5V.png

No more of Hughesnet disconnecting my connection when I download large files!

The overnight speeds are very fast between 2:00am and 3:30am. The other times during the available window are good, but not blazing fast. But heck, I'm in heaven just having a reliable connection without having my downloads blowing-up left and right, making it nearly impossible to download large programs like Nero, AutoCad, and others. That was then, this is now. And now is good!
--
Hughesnet | small biz | .98 | 2 watt | 99 West | 1370 MHZ | Signal 81-85
WinXP SP2 | Intel 2.66 GHZ Core 2 Duo