spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OUTAGE

@myvzw.com

Another TIME WARNER service outage! FIX IT

..and I have a "business account" with them.

I can't believe these people want me to consolidate my phone, television, AND internet with them. They must be joking!

Sure I could save some coin if I did.. but they can't keep the service RUNNING!!!

POTS may be slow, but it NEVER goes down.

I am posting this from my trusty VERIZON 3g phone.

Geez.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6

There isn't anything we can do here to fix it for you except help you find a solution. If you want us to help with a solution start off by sharing some signal levels from the modem if you can. If not then call the biz class line if thats the type of account you have.
--
»www.akaskriller.com - Your ultimate source for all android needs.

onthecake

join:2003-08-08
Kansas City, MO

I believe this post was aimed at TWC in KC... two 10+ hours outages in 3 days tends to piss people off.

Especially when it involves both your internet and digital cable services.

TWCdude

join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX
kudos:23
reply to OUTAGE

A 10 hour outage sounds like a cut fiber line. Thats the only thing I could think of that would cause an outage for that long as they usually run 8-12 hours to fix. There was this one part of San Antonio that would go out all the time because of all the construction in the area. It was never fun dealing with customers who called in the morning find out the area was out, then goto work come back call again when they get back, and then call at 10pm and it still out.

thorin

join:2007-11-08
Liberty, MO
reply to onthecake

yes it was a fiber cut this morning roughly 4am. the other day was fiber as well.

skuv

@rr.com
reply to OUTAGE

So if it's a fiber cut, it's almost 99% not their doing. And they are doing everything they can to fix it as soon as possible.

Sometimes, depending on what caused the fiber cut, they can't even get in to fix it for a few hours. If it was a fire, car accident, helicopter crash, etc.

And if they can't find where it was because of the way it was cut, that could lead to a lengthening of the outage.

The same thing could happen to any other provider, Verizon, AT&T, Google, they all use fiber. They'll all have fiber cuts for as long as they use fiber.

onthecake

join:2003-08-08
Kansas City, MO

That is great and all but what about the one that happened Monday?

2 outages in 3 days isn't a mistake, its a problem.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:14
reply to skuv

Don't forget backhoe fade. Seems an especially common occurrence when competitors come into an area since they usually build on the same poles and underground paths.

So I wonder how many of these cuts are caused by Google's build out...
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Still having problems in the northern porting on Kansas City, MO.
»help.rr.com/HMSLogic/network_status.aspx

And it looks like there are planned outages over the next few weeks in various locations in the KC Metro area. (bottom of page)

skuv

@rr.com
reply to onthecake

said by onthecake:

That is great and all but what about the one that happened Monday?

2 outages in 3 days isn't a mistake, its a problem.

And? Fiber cuts that take that long to fix aren't planned outages or problems. They aren't mistakes either. They're accidents or negligence caused by a 3rd party, not the owner of the fiber.

They can't help if a fiber cut happened 2 out of 3 days. Especially if fiber is being built out in the same area, which it certainly is in Kansas City, MO, by Google.

And really, take a step back and analyze this in a better way. What POSSIBLE reason would Time Warner Cable have to cut their fiber, just to take you down? To possibly lose several customers? They could have thousands of customers affected by this. They wouldn't just leave them blowing in the wind.

Until you learn what causes fiber cuts or what it takes to fix them, I think you need to relax. Once you learn some of that, then you can come on here and explain what TW could have done better.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:8

said by skuv :

The same thing could happen to any other provider, Verizon, AT&T, Google, they all use fiber. They'll all have fiber cuts for as long as they use fiber.

said by skuv :

And? Fiber cuts that take that long to fix aren't planned outages or problems. They aren't mistakes either. They're accidents or negligence caused by a 3rd party, not the owner of the fiber.

You're wrong on both counts. Most other providers such as V, ATT, Cox, etc build redundancy into their network so a single fiber cut does not take everything down (ever hear of a SONET ring?). Not planning for something which WILL happen eventually (such as a fiber cut) IS negligence, especially when people will be relying on it for services such as 911.

/M

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:14

2 edits

said by mackey:

You're wrong on both counts. Most other providers such as V, ATT, Cox, etc build redundancy into their network so a single fiber cut does not take everything down (ever hear of a SONET ring?). Not planning for something which WILL happen eventually (such as a fiber cut) IS negligence, especially when people will be relying on it for services such as 911.

/M

CATV nodes don't use SONET and depending on configuration, most can't use redundant fibers.

So usually between the local cable headend and the customer, there's one path. Part fiber, part coax.

CATV, FIOS, Uverse, and phone all have similar problems. Last mile has no redundancy. Most of them carry 911. See the link in my sig for a reminder.

Between cable headends there's usually multiple paths and redundancy though, same as Verizon, ATT, and others.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.