spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

baess

join:2011-01-28

150 or 300 Mbps?

Just added a WNR2000. In the setup 150Mbps is defaulted for mode. The three choices are up to 54, 150 and 300.

I'm confused as to what this means. If my ISP speed is 15Mbps how would I ever even approach 150 or 300? So which speed should I select?

Or am I completely wrong in looking at my internet speed to determine router speed. I tried searching but still am confused. Thanks

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
The speed for the WiFi portion of the WNR2000 is the speed between a wireless device, like a laptop, and your router. This is part of your LAN (Local Area Network). Your router has 4 Ethernet ports that are rated for 100Mbps. This would be the absolute maximum theoretical speed between a computer connected by an Ethernet cable to your router. This has nothing to do with the speed of your internet service. You can set the router to 300Mbps and it will attempt that rate of communication with a wireless device that is in the 802.11n category, assuming the device has enough hardware in the WiFi setup to handle such speeds.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK
reply to baess
feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think 300Mbps maintains back compatibility for old b devices. this doesn't affect most people, but I learned this the hard way with an old proprietary device that works b only and there is no upgrade to g for it.
--
"WHEN THE LAUGH TRACK STARTS THEN THE FUN STARTS!"

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
It is on the label of the router. It will show a/b/g/n compatibility or b/g/n compatibility or g/n compatibility.

baess

reply to davidhoffman
I have a wired desktop and a wireless laptop that is 802.11n.

For the desktop even if it's wired to the router (and then modem) it's speed will be limited by my internet connection. Correct?

If I set the router to 300Mbps the laptop will communicate with it at that speed (theoretically). Since my internet is only 15Mbps how will that help me? That's my confusion.

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
If you wanted to transfer a file, using WiFi, from the desktop to the laptop, then the 300Mbps 802.11n WiFi speed would result in a quicker transfer than the 54Mbps 802.11g WiFi speed. If you wanted to send something wirelessly from a laptop to a printer on your network, then the 300Mbps might help to do that quickly.

Another way to look at it is that inside a computer there are connections that can transmit data between components of the computer at 1000Mbps or faster. They function at that speed even though the external connection to the internet is only 15Mbps.

baess

All good in theory but when I look at my wireless network status I get 65Mbps, nothing more. Hours on the phone with Netgear to no avail.

This with a brand new laptop with Broadcom 801.11n wireless card. I wonder if that is the problem as signal is also weak except when I'm right near the router. Ughh.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit
To improve the performance change the placement of the WNDR2000

Place it as HIGH up as possible and make sure that no other wireless transmitter is near by.

wireless mouse/keyboard, Bluetooth, baby monitor, microwave oven, 2.4 Ghz wireless phones, some 5 Ghz wireless phones, battery chargers for iPads etc --- ANY of these items if they are close [within 10 feet] to the WNDR2000 will cause performance issues.

REGARDLESS of the brand [or model] of wireless router -- ideally THE best placement [for best performance] is;

Located in a CENTRAL location within your home
As High Up as possible [2 feet from Ceiling]
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

baess

Well when the laptop is literally next to the router the laptop only get 65Mbps, never better, and to test I used the wireless connection on my desktop which is an inch away from the router and it got 72Mbps.

So what does this all mean? Bad router? I can still return it but would like to know. Bad laptop wireless? Bad desktop wireless?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
do you have any of the devices I mentioned in close proximity [within 10 feet] to your wireless router?

Your speed is being impacted by radio interference from some source.

If your location [area] also has a large number of other users with wireless routers 2.4 Ghz in close proximity to you then your speed will be negatively impacted.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

baess

Nope. Nothing to interfere. If there were so many others users wouldn't I see their networks? I don't. One reason I think the laptops antenna/signal is bad.

What I don't understand is if the laptop is literally touching the router I still don't do better than 65Mbps. So how could it be interference or even signal strength? But that is part of the problem I am sure.

I go outside my house and immediately lose signal. That's why I think it is a problem with the laptops' antenna/wireless card.

Not sure if it is just how it is supposed to be on a cheap laptop or if there is a problem. I've read about antennas not connected correct or backwards.

Something is wrong for sure. My old 900Mhz phone has better signal.