spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

new2cable

@radford.edu

[speed/latency] Need help interrupting my Transceiver Stats

I had been a Verizon DSL customer since 2004. I cancelled my HSI today as my speed was maxing at 0.6 Mbps when I was lucky and tech support didn't respond in a helpful manner. The problems began a few months ago when I changed from HSI Advance (up to 7.1 Mbps) to HSI Essentials (3.1 Mbps - 7 Mbps). While tech support was non-existent, my experience with the Billing department today was professional and excellent. This of course assumes that my account is credited and cancelled as discussed today.

I got my Verizon DSL Transceiver Stats earlier today and tried to learn what the numbers meant. I came across some conflicting information and references to either ADSL1 or ADSL2. I seem to have G.DMT mode which is neither. If you care to share, I'd be interested in knowing what the numbers below say about my line. Thanks!

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: G.DMT Mode
Data Path: Interleaved

Transceiver Information
Downstream Upstream
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 192 256
Margin (dB) 8.0 6.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 34.0 24.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 12.2 11.8

rollinraver

join:2002-04-27
Buffalo, NY
Your line is absolutely horrible, is what they say. You are only synching at 192k for download? The lowest tier offered synchs at 864k. In addition, your noise margin of 8 is not optimal at all! I would get on the line with big red and get a tech out to look at your line. These stats are no good. Any thoughts on how far you are from your serving CO?

new2cable

@radford.edu
@rollinraver Thanks for taking the time to comment. The 3 techs in India I worked all acknowledged that there was a problem with my line. The only tech that came to my home said that my port was changed when I moved to dry loop and that only another change in port would result in me being able to get my advertised speed. But after her comments to me no improvement occurred and no local technician made contact with me.

I'm 0.7 miles from the CO. I had been averaging over 6Mbps (on sppedtest.net) with the HSI Advanced (up to 7Mbps). When I changed to dry loop and had to move to their HSI Enhanced (3.1 - 7Mbps) Plan my speed dropped to maxing at 2.5Mbps. When I asked for assistance, Verizon's 'fix', which I was led to believe was a change in port, made my speed worse and only maxed at 0.6Mbps when I was lucky. I wanted to work with Verizon but the local office wouldn't respond. I invested a lot of hours with techs in India who were in no position to actually fix the problem. But Verizon doesn't provide any means to contact your local technicians. One local technician did give me her supervisor's direct phone number. I called and left a message but did not get a return call. The only things that makes any logical sense are that Verizon did not want me as a dry loop customer, or my local technicians are incompetent - I have a hard time believing they are that incompetent.

On a positive note, when I posted my situation in the Verizon.com Forums, my post was escalated to their support team. Again, they were not able to do much as it was a local tech issue but they were professional, responsive and sympathetic. So, my conclusion is that Verizon DSL is fine option as long as you don't need any technical support. If you have problems and need technical support you'll enter the rabbit hole, and you may end up as 'mad' as the Hatter

Oh.. and don't even get me started on the Verizon.com website... all kinds of time spent on error messages and pages where data wouldn't load. So far my change to Cable Internet has been positive... hopefully I won't have to find how good or bad their tech support is...

leo1121

join:2012-09-11
Brooklyn, NY
@new2cable, I have the HSI and the verizon told me my line speed only upto 3 Mbps. but when I tested on speedtest.com, my download speed only 1.5 Mbps and Upload only 0.38 Mbps. Verizon keep saying that my line is good and they refuse to send the tech guy to check my line. Are you going to switch other company?

Can you please tell me how can I get my Verizon DSL transceiver stats report? Thanks!

anon 595148

@verizon.net
quote:
@new2cable, I have the HSI and the verizon told me my line speed only upto 3 Mbps. but when I tested on speedtest.com, my download speed only 1.5 Mbps and Upload only 0.38 Mbps. Verizon keep saying that my line is good and they refuse to send the tech guy to check my line.

Can you please tell me how can I get my Verizon DSL transceiver stats report? Thanks!

It would help to know, at least the following info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, what is the brand and model of that RJ-45 WAN port router?

leo1121

Brooklyn, NY
I have Westell Versalink 327W modem. Thanks!

anon 595148

@verizon.net
quote:
I have Westell Versalink 327W modem. Thanks!

Visit »192.168.1.1/ for me and do the following:

1: If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

2: If you see a Red and Black Westell page: Go to System Monitoring -> Advanced Monitors -> Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

3: Try visiting »192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

* By Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to new2cable
said by new2cable :

I got my Verizon DSL Transceiver Stats earlier today and tried to learn what the numbers meant. I came across some conflicting information and references to either ADSL1 or ADSL2. I seem to have G.DMT mode which is neither. If you care to share, I'd be interested in knowing what the numbers below say about my line. Thanks!

G.DMT is ADSL.

My ADSL2+ modem is reporting G.DMT2+ Annex A.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_G.992.1
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

leo1121

Brooklyn, NY
reply to anon 595148
Hi anon 595148, here's the transceiver statistics from the modem. Thanks!

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: ADSL2+ Mode
Data Path: Fast

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3356 855
Margin (dB) 13.0 10.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 33.5 22.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 16.1 12.4