spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Bierboy
join:2008-08-07
East Moline, IL

Bierboy

DD 5.1 audio on HD channels?

I've noticed here in the Quad Cities market that I receive DD5.1 audio on almost all of the HD channels in the HD Family Pak. But on the following channels we don't get Dolby Digital...only PLII (Pro Logic 2)...and it seems to predominantly be channels in the 760s --

Lifetime HD -- 763
Lifetime Movie Network HD -- 764
AMC HD -- 765
Travel Channel HD -- 766
Headline News HD -- 767

All the others in the 760s come in Dolby Digital. I'm sure my receiver's audio settings are correct because I can surf up and down and see which channels come in DD 5.1 and which do not.

Is anyone else seeing this? All I'm told from MC is that they distribute what they are getting from the networks. But I'm almost certain that AMC-HD, if not others, are passing along DD 5.1.
WhatHappened
join:2004-08-06
Waseca, MN

WhatHappened

You are doing well in the Quad Cities compared to Waseca.

HD channels missing DD5.1 sound in Waseca:

846 OUTHD2
854 MNBCHD
863 LIFEHD
864 LWNHD
865 AMCHD
866 TRAVHD
867 EHD
870 SPIKEHD
871 CCHD
874 BETHD
875 CMTVHD
876 FAMHD
877 NIKHD
879 HALLHD
888 STRZ4H

Chad, can you please check into this issue. Last time I reported the new Starzs and Encore HD channels they were able to get them to pass DD5.1. I posted on the Mediacom support form before.
WhatHappened

WhatHappened

Here is the other thread: »mediacomcable.com/Custom ··· c=5961.0

Quote from MediacomDrew "We've received word that some pass-through modes were changed. Are you hearing any difference now?"
WhatHappened

WhatHappened

Here is the other DSL reports thread: »[Cable TV] New HD channels only 2 channel Audio

Note: Channel 888 was fixed before and is now back to 2 channel sound.

Bierboy
East Moline, IL

Bierboy

The company line is "we're passing through what we're given from the networks." But is seems apparent from one of those other threads that it may not be the case. And if we're getting DD5.1 here on certain channels, but Minnesota is NOT, then what MC is saying is not true.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to Bierboy

Premium Member

to Bierboy
You know I could never figure out why people care about TV that much. I've seen setups worth tens of thousands of dollars. Yet I've never had a TV that had 'bad' or 'inadequate' speakers

Even my smartphone streaming youtube videos sounds great to me. I guess I'm one of the luck ones
WhatHappened
Waseca, MN

WhatHappened

said by Anonymous88:

You know I could never figure out why people care about TV that much. I've seen setups worth tens of thousands of dollars. Yet I've never had a TV that had 'bad' or 'inadequate' speakers

Even my smartphone streaming youtube videos sounds great to me. I guess I'm one of the luck ones

What are you talking about?????

Do you assume that people use TV speakers?

I route all audio to my 7.1 Channel surround sound setup at all times. The HDTV speakers are disabled.

OldCableGuy
@planetcr.net

OldCableGuy

Anon

I hate to say this but I agree with the "anonymous" tech. What a complete and total waste of money. 7.1 gigawats of power to your speakers? Who cares. It's TV for frigging sake. I don't even know if my TV supports stereo or mono............ WHO CARES. Go outside and experience real life sometime; or even better the touch of a woman -- it's better than your 12.1 speakers or whatever.
WhatHappened
Waseca, MN

WhatHappened

Good for you OldCableGuy! Why did you even purchase cabletv or a HDTV?

When I watch a movie on CableTV or Bluray, I want it to sound as good or better than the theater. Why would I want any less?

Why would you post your opinions in this thread about a Mediacom signal delivery defect? Are you suggesting because a couple of you don't care about the quality of your image or auido, Mediacom should drop HD signals and surround sound for the rest of us that case? Maybe they should go back to providing dial-up like they did under the "ISP Channel" brand in the 90s just because it is good enough for you??

For example:
When I fish, I jump in my 20' Bass boat that goes 80mph with high resolution sonar, GPS mapping and 50gal live well. If you enjoy your 3.5hp outboard pushing your over sized canoe barely moving across the pond and just guessing where to find fish, that style may be good for you.

OldCableGuy
@planetcr.net

OldCableGuy

Anon

Actually I fish from the bridge, and I bet mine taste just as good as yours!

Get out once and stop spending that cash once and awhile, let the credit cards rest!

Have a great day, I'm writing this on my Pentium 2!

Bierboy
East Moline, IL

Bierboy

C'mon folks, let quit being so judgmental and just address the issue...