Search similar:

uniqs

FF4m3
@bhn.net

FF4m3

Anon

Nikon Unveils Android-based 'Point-And-Shoot' Camera

Nikon snaps first Android-based camera crown:

Nikon today unveiled its first Android-based point-and-shoot camera, the Coolpix S800C.

The smart snapper runs Android 2.3 Gingerbread and connects through Wi-Fi to provide full support for Google Play apps, easy image upload to social networking sites and GPS tagging functionality to boot.

With a plethora of photo-related apps available, users can literally touch-up their captured moments from the camera's 3.5in, 819k-dot touchscreen.

In terms of snap specs, the S800c features a 16Mp CMOS sensor with backside illumination to better handle low-light conditions. The 10x optical 4.5-45mm lens (25-250mm, 35mm equivalent) should satisfy for most environments too. Video capture at 1080p is also on-board.

Polaroid took to CES 2012 to unveil its own Android-based PMP in the body of a point-and-shoot camera, although we're still unsure of exactly when it'll hit the market.

So it would appear that Nikon takes the crown as first to market a standalone Android camera in the UK with the Coolpix S800c, available from 27 September for £380.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

actually this is a cool idea. I wonder how accessable the camera is and if its locked. if the camera allows access to the OS, I can already see a potential for people doing things Nikon never even imagined.

if it has wifi I wonder if there is a way to run an ad-hoc network to a tablet and make the tablet into a big viewfinder screen. then again maybe I am thinking too far ahead.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to FF4m3

Premium Member

to FF4m3
Why is anyone still shipping anything over the 2.x branch? That crap just blows my mind. 4.x is almost a year old now.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to FF4m3

Premium Member

to FF4m3
So this is an android smart phone, without the cell radio?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo
what are the processing requirements for 4.x? it is possible the camera does not have the CPU specs.
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

said by Kearnstd:

what are the processing requirements for 4.x? it is possible the camera does not have the CPU specs.

I don't think there's any theoretical requirement since there are videos of Android Jelly Bean running on the HTC Dream/Google G1. Although a realistic requirement for ICS or JB with acceptable performance would probably be whatever hardware the HTC Desire C or HTC One V use, since they both include ICS. So I guess a 600Mhz Cortex A5 or 1Ghz Scorpion, and both phones have 512MB of RAM.

FF4m3
@bhn.net

FF4m3 to Kearnstd

Anon

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

Here's the general info that I could fine...

It uses Nikon-built EXPEED C2 processor which is designed specifically for newer Coolpix camera series.
said by Wikipedia :

The Nikon Expeed image processing engines are signal processors for Nikon's digital cameras.

The used multi-processor system on a chip solution integrates an image processor in multi-core processor architecture, with even each single processor-core able to compute many instructions/operations in parallel. Storage-and display-interfaces and other modules are added and a digital signal processor increases the number of simultaneous computations. An on-chip 32-bit microcontroller initiates and controls the operation and data transfers of all processors, modules and interfaces and can be seen as the main control unit of the camera. The Expeed is an application-specific integrated circuit built by Fujitsu specifically for Nikon designs according to Nikon specifications.

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

So this is an android smart phone, without the cell radio?

No. Cell phones take crappy pictures.
This is a camera with some smartphone options.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

More importantly Android is not just for smart phones. There's nothing about something Android that makes having any cell capabilities necessary. The Nexus 7 and Pandaboard both come to mind.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to FF4m3

Premium Member

to FF4m3
While maybe not Android, camera software has long been Linux based.

FF4m3
@bhn.net

FF4m3

Anon

said by Hayward0:

While maybe not Android, camera software has long been Linux based.

I was aware of Linux based webcam software but not handhelds (SLR, DSLR, rangefinders, etc.). What Linux models are you aware of?