Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dongato17
VIP
join:2000-07-28
Atlanta, GA

Call for beta testers

I realize that this is perhaps a little on the edge of what is acceptable, but I respect a lot of people on this forum (and have myself been here quite a while) and really want to give folks here an opportunity to help shape our new products. So I'll keep it brief: we are looking for a group of beta testers to try out our new FlexAP. Testers will get one free to try out and give feedback. Here is a link for the signup:

»www.antennas.com/flexap-intro/

I'm happy to answer any questions as well.

Cheers!
-Hal
--
Harold Bledsoe

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6

I think you've contributed enough over the years to be able to push the limits, Hal.

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to dongato17

Arc wireless seem's to have some interesting products and a good price point,

Does Arc Wireless have its own TDMA protocol ?

I know this is a bit off topic but is their firmware linux based and has an SDK like air os ?

dongato17
VIP
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

Hey OHSrob,

Yes on the TDMA - it launches with the FlexAP and existing clients are field upgradeable (on the client, we support Auto FlexTDMA so upgrade should be easy).

The firmware is linux based and we can provide an SDK beyond gpl releases. We are also quite friendly when it comes to new features and are happy to make some simple branding easy to do if that is what you are looking for (without having to deal with building images).

Thanks!
-Hal
--
Harold Bledsoe

rconaway8

join:2005-11-10
Phoenix, AZ
reply to dongato17

Can you please define your beam-forming?

dongato17
VIP
Atlanta, GA

Sure - it is chip-based beamforming and can do implicit beamforming with clients that don't support explicit beamforming or explicit beamforming with clients that do support beamforming.

This type of beamforming should provide roughly a 3dB increase in signal.

-Hal
--
Harold Bledsoe

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to dongato17

I have signed up for the beta testing.

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to dongato17

What would the best testing entail ?

Does your product support narrow channel operation in 5/10mhz modes ?

rconaway8

join:2005-11-10
Phoenix, AZ
reply to dongato17

So it sounds like you have split the antenna into 2 zones and you let the 802.11ac chipset use diversity to find the best connection? Would that be correct?

Bnetwifi

@ono.com
reply to dongato17

Hi there, applied and also sent you guys a request for more info last week, but noreply yet....

August I guess....???

we are interested in your products as a reseller.

Regards

Bnetwifi

join:2012-08-23
reply to dongato17

Signed up - You have some great looking products.

I actually asked for some more info last week, but no contact yet.

Hope we qualify - I would really like to test your gear.

Regards from Malaga

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
reply to dongato17

Signed up for the beta. Always looking for new ways to help reach the last mile customers just outside the physical plant.

dongato17
VIP
Atlanta, GA
reply to OHSrob

said by OHSrob:

What would the best testing entail ?

Does your product support narrow channel operation in 5/10mhz modes ?

At the moment we support 20/40MHz channels. The best testing would entail using in as close to a production environment as possible. Every network is a little different and real-world tests are invaluable!

-Hal
--
Harold Bledsoe

dongato17
VIP
Atlanta, GA
reply to rconaway8

said by rconaway8:

So it sounds like you have split the antenna into 2 zones and you let the 802.11ac chipset use diversity to find the best connection? Would that be correct?

The chipset precodes the transmission for each client to maximize based on the measured channel. Marvell has a pretty good paper on it here:

»www.marvell.com/wireless/assets/···ming.pdf

-Hal
--
Harold Bledsoe

treichhart

reply to dongato17

Harold how soon we know we get accepted for beta sign ups because I sent in my sign up yesterday?

Airnode

join:2006-09-01
Germany
reply to dongato17

said by dongato17:

I realize that this is perhaps a little on the edge of what is acceptable, but I respect a lot of people on this forum (and have myself been here quite a while) and really want to give folks here an opportunity to help shape our new products. So I'll keep it brief: we are looking for a group of beta testers to try out our new FlexAP. Testers will get one free to try out and give feedback. Here is a link for the signup:

»www.antennas.com/flexap-intro/

I'm happy to answer any questions as well.

Cheers!
-Hal

hm together with the freestation ore the flexmarc this could be a verry nice solution, since ArcOs have some real cool features.

running already 50 Freestations5 and a few flexmarc in a large sportspark. 5ghz as backhaul for the internal hotspot of each device could be cool to link them to
this new FlexAP's instead the Mikrotik Ap's as we do for now.

I signed but since i'm from the EU i think it won't be that intresting for you guys

dongato17
VIP
Atlanta, GA
reply to treichhart

said by treichhart:

Harold how soon we know we get accepted for beta sign ups because I sent in my sign up yesterday?

We will close it up early next week and send out an update then so stay tuned!

Thanks everyone for the help.

-Hal
--
Harold Bledsoe

treichhart

reply to dongato17

So I got a email back from Ryan McKenzie and in order to get in this beta testing you have to I quote from this email "In order to receive your beta unit, we have 2 simple requests. 1) Purchase at least 5 units of the ARCFlex line of radios to use in testing. This must include any combination of FreeStation 5, SplitStation 5 or SplitmARC 5. These are readily available from our distributors and resellers throughout the world. 2) Reply to this email with your shipping address so that we can ship you your free beta unit, and include the invoice or receipt showing proof of purchase for your ARCFlex radios. "

to get a free FlexAP so you can test out. I thought they would send you one with no purchase required for beta testing.

Then rest of the email said this:

"The reason for requesting that you purchase the 5 units is simply so that you can test the true capabilities of our FlexAP 5. Like many other brands on the market today, we have a proprietary TDMA protocol that allows you to reduce interference, eliminate hidden node issues, and increase link distance and numbers of clients. In order to truly test the capabilities of this, you will have to use ARCFlex radios as CPE's.

It is worth explaining how our FlexTDMA technology works, and what we are hoping to achieve by offering this beta test unit.

Much like other vendors, we have a proprietary polling protocol. The difference is that our FlexTDMA is automatically recognized and turned on by each client, making the implementation much easier and provides an easier migration path.

For example, when you receive your FlexAP 5, the FlexTDMA is not activated by default. This means that it will associate with any brand of CPE that uses standard 802.11a/n protocol, and has already been tested with all major brands. However, please note, our FlexAP 5 will not associate with any CPE that has it's own proprietary polling protocol activated. By turning the polling protocol off on your current CPE's, it will allow our FlexAP 5 to associate. Usually it is a simple configuration change to turn off any proprietary protocol. If you need further help on this procedure, reply with the model number and brand of CPE you are currently using, and I can provide detailed instructions.

As you add ARC Wireless clients to your network, the ARCFlex client will associate with the FlexAP5, and communicate using standard 802.11a/n protocol. This allows you to have one FlexAP 5 with a mixture of any brand of Client or CPE, including many USB devices and laptop wireless cards.

Much like other vendors, in order to activate and use the FlexTDMA protocol, all clients associated to the AP will need to be ARC Wireless brand CPE's. To activate it on the FlexAP, simply log in to the user interface , and select the FlexTDMA option on the Wireless tab. This is where our FlexTDMA excels over any other brand of radio. Our ARCFlex client devices will now automatically detect that the FlexTDMA protocol has been activated, so they will switch on the FlexTDMA polling protocol, and discontinue broadcasting in the standard 802.11a/n protocol."

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6

Check your inbox again...

treichhart

reply to dongato17

Yea I got the new email on the correction.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to dongato17

I've called Ligo out on their so-called beta testing before.

Since when does TDMA help with interference?

treichhart

reply to dongato17

this is Arc Wireless this isnt Ligo there Wireless Dog But there OS is just like Airmax OS so I really dont see any different between them and Ubnt really.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

My mistake, I thought Hal worked for Ligo

dongato17
VIP
Atlanta, GA

That was another time in my life.

On the beta testing - we really are just trying to get the most out of the testing which involves stretching the legs of FlexTDMA. Sorry if that came off as pushy. We are just excited to see it in action in more places and cases than our limited testing can cover. In any event, it would be great if testing can involve more of our clients but will not be a hard requirement for getting the beta unit.

The concept behind FlexTDMA is to help with upload interference with a more robust and efficient protocol than RTS/CTS and that is optimized for fixed wireless broadband. This is for cases where the all the clients cannot see each other.

Thanks,
-Hal
--
Harold Bledsoe

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
reply to wirelessdog

said by wirelessdog:

Since when does TDMA help with interference?

I think Hal is talking about contention and perhaps "interference" is a poor choice of words. Standard CSMA can cause contention issues due to "hidden node" which would interfere with performance.

At least that's my take on the matter.

In my mind, interference is noise from other sources that are not legitimate data, i.e wireless speakers, non-IP video cams, etc..
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to dongato17

said by dongato17:

... So I'll keep it brief: we are looking for a group of beta testers to try out our new FlexAP.

Is this the same line of vapor-ware being discussed in this thread ? ;
»ARCFlex FreeStation

Any estimates on when these products will be commercially available ? "Available" means putting them in a shopping cart and having UPS bring a box of gear.
--
Why are rich people always broke ?

dongato17
VIP
Atlanta, GA

Actually with the exception of the FlexAP beta units (which just started shipping out), the other items are available and in-stock through normal distribution.

Thanks,
-Hal
--
Harold Bledsoe

gmoncada

@cablecolor.hn

Well... im exited to try the beamforming technology from ARCWireless!

DSLbyAir
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-10
Ocean Springs, MS
reply to dongato17

Hal,

This is very interesting. I've been away from this forum awhile, how long have you been at ARC? I've first talked with you at Deliberant years ago.

Regards,
--
Joe Miller
DSLbyAir, LLC
228-831-8881
www.dslbyair.com

dongato17
VIP
Atlanta, GA

Hey Joe,

Great to hear from you. I've been at ARC a little over a year now. Always great to hear from fellow southerners!

-Hal
--
Harold Bledsoe