how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan

ignorant

hughesnet gets rid of their fap free zone at night just as their biggest competitor exede institutes one. Doesn't make sense to me.
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

Re: ignorant

Maybe they want all the really heavy FAP-free-zone downloaders to go to exede and reduce exede's night-time speeds to a megabit or two per second, while HN's speeds hum along as advertised during that window...

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Hum along until you hit your cap.
OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH
Do people really care how fast or slow it is going to be at 2am in the morning? lol

As far as 1 or 2 mps, as long as it is uncapped at that time of night...I wouldn't care.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by OldSatUser:

Do people really care how fast or slow it is going to be at 2am in the morning? lol

As far as 1 or 2 mps, as long as it is uncapped at that time of night...I wouldn't care.

If you using that time to download your large files then yes.
silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
It won't slow down much. HughesNet's current service often pushes out higher speeds during the FAP free time than during the time on the meter. No reason to believe Exede will slow down.
sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

said by silbaco:

It won't slow down much. HughesNet's current service often pushes out higher speeds during the FAP free time than during the time on the meter. No reason to believe Exede will slow down.

So I take it you don't have HN, if you did you wouldn't make this statement.
silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 edit

said by sharkyyoung:

said by silbaco:

So I take it you don't have HN, if you did you wouldn't make this statement.

Is that so? I didn't say everyone had better performance. It is a known fact that many people get a higher download speed during the fap free time than they do when the meter is running. Despite offering unlimited download at night, the congestion is simply not as bad.
JulioF

join:2006-11-01
Leander, TX
Hum along with the meter running, that is. And a megabit or two per second at Exede is still faster than what HN provides for similar pricing now. No contest.

It's NOT the same satellite, btw. The Exede sat has a throughput capability which appears to be greater than the Gen4 sat. Look it up! I'm NOT talking about the "plans" here - the satellites themselves.

From viasat.com: "With 140 Gbps total throughput capacity, the new satellite can...".

From Hughes.com: "... satellite will provide significant additional capacity—over 100 Gbps...".
--
Hughesnet | small biz | .98 | 2 watt | 99 West | 1370 MHZ | Signal 81-85
WinXP SP2 | Intel 2.66 GHZ Core 2 Duo
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

"Over 100" could equal 140. Or it could equal something less, like you're suggesting.

Also, I'm aware that the new birds are completely different. Why would EchoStar use a ViaSat satellite anyway?
mworks

join:2006-06-13
Faison, NC
Often satellites , especially ones used for broadband ,carry other traffic as well. In the past the normal routine is to put both broadband and other sat traffic on the satellite until enough accounts are in use to make the running of a broadband only satellite feasible. You also have to account for 'spares' as total capacity can sometimes include redundant parts that are not always in use.