join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to ebeez

MVM

to ebeez

Re: [Extreme Plus] Connection dropping alomst every 5 minutes th

said by ebeez :

1) yes the connection still drops even when I am not remotely connected

OK, I would then call Rogers and have them look at your line AND NODE.

I use RDP All the time without any issue ...

Insofar as network malware ... There are far too many ... Just google RDP malware and you will see many responses. But based on your 1) response I suspect it's either the NODE or your line .... If t's not your line then it's the node that's over saturated....

ebeez
@rogers.com

ebeez

Anon

Thanks David,
How does the node get over saturated? What causes it?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
Nepean, ON

2 edits

mozerd

MVM

The number of active subscribers that utilize the network segment you've been placed in is the node ... Rogers should have heavy duty CISCO gear in place to manage your segment but if they placed more subscribers than the gear can properly manage that segment becomes over saturated with traffic causing very erratic traffic patterns LIKE you experience.

So Rogers have 3 choices:
(1) break the node up and creat more nodes or segments
(2) upgrade their equipment to better mange the increase in subscribers per node
(3) provide more bandwidth for their equipment to balance accrose the number of subscribers for each node
(4) ignore the problem until they lose a large number of subscribers.

ebeez
@rogers.com

ebeez

Anon

Thanks for the replies David. Always learn something new.

I just wanted to update you on what has transpired since yesterday. I did call Rogers and go through all their trouble shooting techniques.. which did not solve the issue. As a result I have an appointment booked tomorrow evening for a tech to come in.

I decided to try one more thing. My set-up was the Rogers modem with wireless and gateway functions disabled and my E4200 plugged in an functioning as the router with wireless enabled. I decided to enable all functionality of the Rogers modem and then set my E4200 into bridge mode. Since then all has been up and steady. No connection loss at all. I am wondering if the was the issue (although the previous set up worked for quite some time) or did Rogers do something after I complained?

If it stays up for the day I am going to cancel the appoint and monitor it day-by-day.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
Nepean, ON

1 edit

mozerd

MVM

Sounds like the E4200 has serious issues based on what you've stated. Bridge mode is a pass through device lacking much Capability. I would either replace your E4200 with my earlier suggestion or if you 're happy with the Hitron just stay with that as your gateway/router etc ... In bridge mode the E4200 IMO is useless. The Netgear WNDR 4500 is much superior based on my experiences.

I have no experience with the Hitron so I cannot comment on its stability/quality when in bridge mode or any other mode .... I will state that I would not trust any integrated cable modem from a security perspective especially when it's on controlled by the ISP.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx

said by mozerd:

I will state that I would not trust any integrated cable modem from a security perspective especially when it's on controlled by the ISP.

I agree 100%. Rogers can access your hard drives and control your computer as easily as we can through our standalone routers. Might as well just give Rogers your bank account info + PIN and save them the trouble of fishing for it. Not saying they would, just saying they can.....

Triple Helix
DNA
Premium Member
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON

Triple Helix

Premium Member

That's why I run a software firewall as well!

TH

elitefx
London, ON

3 edits

elitefx

said by Triple Helix:

And THAT my friend is the fatal mistake most home PC users will make. Software Firewalls are useless when DOS commands are run at the subsystem level. A simple DOS command run before Windows boots up can rob you blind with you none the wiser which is why it is CRITICAL to run Gateways in Bridge mode connected to your own Wpa2 password protected router. At least this method gives you a fighting chance against your home network being hacked....
scubascythan
join:2005-05-14

scubascythan

said by elitefx:

said by Triple Helix:

And THAT my friend is the fatal mistake most home PC users will make. Software Firewalls are useless when DOS commands are run at the subsystem level. A simple DOS command run before Windows boots up can rob you blind with you none the wiser which is why it is CRITICAL to run Gateways in Bridge mode connected to your own Wpa2 password protected router. At least this method gives you a fighting chance against your home network being hacked....

Lol I thought you knew what you were talking about until you said Wpa2 password protected router.

Because most online threat attacks come from neighbours breaking into your wireless... /sarcasm

No seriously though, E4200 have huge connection dropout problems with stock firmware. You can find numerous threads in the cisco forums:

»homecommunity.cisco.com/ ··· p/390595

»homecommunity.cisco.com/ ··· p/385685

Etc. You can google for more. It's more than likely your router.

I have the v1 of the router, I flashed it dd-wrt and personally have no problems with dropped connections in general. However I do have issues maintaining WDS connection with my other WDS Stations but that's a different issue.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by scubascythan:

Lol I thought you knew what you were talking about until you said Wpa2 password protected router.
Because most online threat attacks come from neighbours breaking into your wireless...

My apologies. I was simply referring to the fact we should pay maximum attention to securing our home network using the latest routers and utilizing all their security features.....