uniqs
AdmiralGump
Premium Member
join:2007-12-15
Angier, NC

1 recommendation

AdmiralGump

Premium Member

TWC selling your phone number after install?

Just got the triple bundle over the weekend. I think TWC sells your phone number to all the Home Security and financing companies they can.

Just today I have got 22 sales calls. 5 of them were from Guard-Me Security, 6 from Protection Now and then a bunch of other misc calls. Phone has been ringing non-stop according to my son. Some of these people were calling at 35-45 minute intervals.

I called all of the numbers back and told them to take me off their lists.

Has it been anyone else's experience to get a bunch of sales calls a few days after having TWC voice installed? I really didn't want their voice service but the package price was cheaper with it.
Gemutlich
join:2012-06-14

1 edit

Gemutlich

Perhaps you've already done this, but I have gotten very few telemarketing calls from anyone in the years since I've signed up for the National Do Not Call list. My state also has a state Do Not Call list, so I registered with both. And I registered both my home phone and my cell phone. You can sign up for it online at the address below, then check to see if your state has one, too.

www.donotcall.gov

Be wary about calling the unsolicited phone calls backs. Some of them could be from prisons or other schemes, especially if it is a 900 number, which can cost you money. If you do answer, then tell them at that time to put you on their Do Not Call list.

There is also a do-not-mail registry that keeps one from getting the vast majority of junk mail. (be sure it's a legitimate service) One of the best known is administered by the Direct Marketing Association, and is known as the DMA Mail Preference Service. It's free online, or $1 if you want to mail your options:

www.dmachoice.org

If you get unsolicited credit card offers in the mail, you can also contact one of the 3 credit reporting agencies and opt-out of those kinds of offers.

Hazeleyze
join:2003-05-09
Wauseon, OH

Hazeleyze to AdmiralGump

to AdmiralGump
I got the same thing. Takes 30 days for the DNC to take affect.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to AdmiralGump

Premium Member

to AdmiralGump
Is this cable digital phone service's number only?
AdmiralGump
Premium Member
Angier, NC

1 recommendation

AdmiralGump

Premium Member

Yep. It is their number. I did not port any numbers over.

I already added it to the DNC list. Just have to wait for it to take effect.

It really sucks they sell your number like this. I just got another call while typing this reply. I just cussed that poor woman out. About 6 different home security places have called just today and the last caller just got my wrath.

TWC already charges an arm and a leg but I guess they need more cash by selling your information.

I also do the DMA opt-out as well.
videonex
join:2001-07-22

videonex to AdmiralGump

to AdmiralGump
Actually what happens when you get a new number like you did, these telemarketers have the list of unassigned numbers in their data bases and call them regularly until they finally work. Since the number is less than 30 days old it can't be on the DNC yet so they have that chance to call. Porting a number already on the DNC doesn't release the number, it stays on the DNC until it becomes available for reassignment.

In any case, if the frequency of calls is as you reported, that is still a violation of harassment calling laws. If you have valid information about who is placing the calls, a call to the local police is appropriate.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

3 edits

1 recommendation

Satch

The other thing you can do is with TWC Digital Phone is enable Anonymous Call Reject, which blocks all callers who do not show their caller ID. To do this:

1.) You must have TWC Digital Phone.

2.) Pick up the phone and dial *77

3.) You will hear a recorded message about what the feature does. WAIT for the confirmation tone to activate the feature. If you do not wait for the tone, the service will not be activated.

4.) After the confirmation tone is heard and no more instructions are presented, hang up. Anonymous Call Reject is now turned on. Now whenever someone calls, a message prompts them that "this party does not accept anonymous calls." They are forced to hang up.

5.) To deactivate Anonymous Call Rejection, dial *87, to turn off this feature. You must wait for the confirmation tone.

6.) Additionally, you can also block up to 30 solicitation phone numbers from calling you. Go to your local TWC website and Sign-In to your My Services account. (You will need to register for a My Services account if you don't have one through the TWC website.) You can control many features all in one place through my services, such as on-line billing, TV search listings, Remote DVR Manager, and Digital Phone Settings.

7.) Sign into My Services and Select Digital Phone. Go to Voice Zone. You will be able to manage ALL Digital Phone services through this page and see what you have activated. Activate the Call Blocking feature and follow the prompts to enter those numbers from whom you do not wish to receive calls.

8.) Be sure to SAVE your settings when you are done. If you on a public computer, save your changes, log out and close all browser windows for best security.

Satch

PS. Important: Some calls may still come through so it is not a cure all for everything. We are having this issue now. I recommend the registry through the National Do Not Call List, but in the last couple of weeks, the calls are coming through again. I an researching this and it appears that in order to STOP specific calls from coming in, you must turn on Selective Call Blocking in My Services for TWC Digital Phone. (The Voice Zone Section) and enter up to 30 numbers from whom you do not want to receive any calls from those numbers nor any notification that they called.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to AdmiralGump

Premium Member

to AdmiralGump
Last year I got a cell phone with what I thought was a brand new number. It turned out to be only new-to-me with bill collectors looking for the previous owner of the number and lots of telemarketing calls related to that person.

It was my fault for not making sure it was a brand new number.
AdmiralGump
Premium Member
Angier, NC

AdmiralGump

Premium Member

Not sure if mine is a brand new number but I am not getting any calls specific to any one person. They all have been calls dealing with Home Security systems and refinancing.

I have pretty much taken care of most of them so far by either telling them to take me off their list and a combination of adding them to the block list. Already have about 12 numbers on there. Also turned on Anonymous call blocking but all the calls I have received so far have passed a number.

Phone has actually been pretty quiet the last couple days. I know if the phone rings it definitely won't be for me since the only number I give friends and family is my cell.
Satch

Satch

said by AdmiralGump:

Not sure if mine is a brand new number but I am not getting any calls specific to any one person. They all have been calls dealing with Home Security systems and refinancing.

I have pretty much taken care of most of them so far by either telling them to take me off their list and a combination of adding them to the block list. Already have about 12 numbers on there. Also turned on Anonymous call blocking but all the calls I have received so far have passed a number.

Phone has actually been pretty quiet the last couple days. I know if the phone rings it definitely won't be for me since the only number I give friends and family is my cell.

If you don't want to see the calls from that Home Security company, you need to follow my steps above for Going to TWC My Services and logging in with your account, (or register for a new account.)

How to Block ANY Numbers with TWC Select Call Blocking:

Write down or keep a log saved on your computer of the calls you want to block.

1.) Log in to your My Services Account.

2.) Go to Home Phone

3.) Go to Voice Zone

4.) At Voice Zone, you will see all the phone settings you have enabled or can enable.

5.) Turn on "Select Call Blocking"

6.) Click the Button that says, you want to block selected calls.
Enter the Phone Number for the call(s) you want to block. Click the Add button to add more numbers. Tip! (You must add 10 numbers, dashes are not needed the first three numbers are the area code)

7.) Click Save When done adding numbers. You MUST CLICK SAVE, or your blocked numbers will not be saved.

TWC Digital Phone allows up to 30 numbers to be selectively called blocked. Currently a 000-000-000 will not be valid, because the "O" when the rules were set up is needed for operator assistance.

Satch

piper
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
Buffalo, NY

piper

Premium Member

Select Call Blocking with TW sucks, as most telemarketers change the last 4 digits on a "regular" basis.

Say you get a call from ex. 415-387-8456, then 10 minutes later you get a call from the same person, but, 415-387-8472.

You can "edit" that list all day, within 72 hours,(more or less) the 30 numbers on that list is useless

This is garbage until you have the option to block by the area code (most if not all *spam* comes from outside your calling area) like you can on the android phone which works fantastic.

Any call blocking will be useless until block by area code is implemented.

The "000-000-000" should be added to the list automatically by TWC as a "little black box" spoofs this number.

TWC won't do this because the "sales calls" won't get thru
maryismymom
join:2011-12-21

maryismymom to AdmiralGump

to AdmiralGump
I'm not sure but I don't have any problem with them. It's been 3 years already since I got their service.

Hmm.. But your post made me wonder. Because if it was not TWC, then where did these third-party companies get your phone number? They have related business.
Expand your moderator at work
Satch

Satch to piper

to piper

Re: TWC selling your phone number after install?

said by piper:

Select Call Blocking with TW sucks, as most telemarketers change the last 4 digits on a "regular" basis.

Say you get a call from ex. 415-387-8456, then 10 minutes later you get a call from the same person, but, 415-387-8472.

You can "edit" that list all day, within 72 hours,(more or less) the 30 numbers on that list is useless

This is garbage until you have the option to block by the area code (most if not all *spam* comes from outside your calling area) like you can on the android phone which works fantastic.

The "000-000-000" should be added to the list automatically by TWC as a "little black box" spoofs this number.

I was skeptical at first,

But can report it works! You can (and need to block) the area code using the format 123-456-7890 (example # only) It's the first ten digits of any number that includes the area code. (No dashes when you enter the number, just the numbers themselves.) You also MUST save your changes after every change you make to your Phone Services in My Services! If you don't click SAVE, the numbers won't show up on the blocked list.

Call Block should be used in conjunction with turning on Anonymous Call Reject for best results. What TWC needs to do is be able to block by 100 numbers, 500 numbers, or even unlimited! I agree with the poster above, 30 numbers may not be enough.

Satch

piper
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
Buffalo, NY

piper

Premium Member

said by Satch:

said by piper:

I was skeptical at first,

But can report it works! You can (and need to block) the area code using the format 123-456-7890 (example # only) It's the first ten digits of any number that includes the area code. (No dashes when you enter the number, just the numbers themselves.) You also MUST save your changes after every change you make to your Phone Services in My Services! If you don't click SAVE, the numbers won't show up on the blocked list.

Call Block should be used in conjunction with turning on Anonymous Call Reject for best results. What TWC needs to do is be able to block by 100 numbers, 500 numbers, or even unlimited! I agree with the poster above, 30 numbers may not be enough.

Satch

What I meant by blocking by area code (using your example # above) is just doing

123.*

no need for other numbers or "ten digits", meaning nothing in that area code will get thru period.

You can also do something like .*123.* but, thats not recommended to the "average" household
kontrol9
join:2012-07-10
Hicksville, NY

kontrol9

they def do sell your number , just like verizon does you have to pay to keep it private

Zephyrus
@rr.com

Zephyrus to AdmiralGump

Anon

to AdmiralGump
I normally don't answer any phone calls. I hook it to an answering machine and listen to each one a bit before deciding whether to take it. If it's someone I recognize, I can pick it up. If I do answer a junk call by mistake, I usually say "Hang on a sec" and set the phone down and walk away. At some point in the ensuing minutes, the junk caller hangs up.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to AdmiralGump

to AdmiralGump

quote:
www.donotcall.gov
This site is worthless garbage.... A friend of mine signed up here and still months later get all kinds of BS calls!! (This only makes it worse as your sticking your # out)

I knew it was probably BS but now im sure!!
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565

donotcall.gov works. the change when i sign up a number is dramatic.
If you are still getting calls they are from scammers(who ignore the list) or politicians(who are exempt)
If a legitimate company ignores the list you go back to the site and file a complaint.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER to videonex

Premium Member

to videonex

Re: TWC selling your phone number after install?

I don't know about that... when I first had TWC phone setup.. the telemarketors were asking for the [account holder] by name..

The real kicker here is the phone was only setup but a half hour before they started calling.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

said by AMDUSER:

I don't know about that... when I first had TWC phone setup.. the telemarketors were asking for the [account holder] by name..

The real kicker here is the phone was only setup but a half hour before they started calling.

7 year customer with Comcast which became TWC here in Dallas. My name is wrong on my account with TWC and no caller has ever used that. I get very few telemarketing calls, and those that I do get blocked in Voicezone in addition to being on the national do not call list.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to AdmiralGump

Premium Member

to AdmiralGump
I thinks it’s pretty safe to say that the fifth largest phone company in America is NOT selling anyone’s phone number. If this was the case don’t you think there would be more complaints, don’t you think it would be blasted all over the front page of this site by the extremely biased, anti-cable Karl and by that guy, whose name escapes me, with his anti-cable blog that lives in Rochester. When I Google it, I get exactly one other hit related to the topic of Time Warner Cable selling the phone numbers of their subscriber base, besides this thread here. I’ve had Digital Phone service since April 2010 and can’t recall getting any telemarketing calls.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER to chamberc

Premium Member

to chamberc
It might depend on the area as well.. the telemarketing has basically stopped after I transfered the phone [and internet] over to AT&T..
...even Rachael from Cardholder Services stopped calling [scammers..]

However, the last week that I had TWC cable VoIP service... there was problems- like calls from friends, family would be on the caller ID on TV- except the phone was not ringing. [The ringer on the phones was not disabled either...]
Keefer21
join:2012-07-06
Hilton, NY

Keefer21 to AdmiralGump

to AdmiralGump
Just my two cents, When i got my digital phone number i too was getting harassing phone calls all hours of the day and night from debt collectors for the previous subscriber. i just kept a handwritten log as well as printed phone records for my local cable office and forwarded them my states attorney general's office.

(the phone records go up to a year & are 19 bucks unless your down to earth with the person helping you.. i didn't pay anything)

Low and behold, 3 weeks later 4 certified letters come in the mail from the debt collection agencies with 600 dollars in prepaid credit cards & hand written apologies, and direct numbers to reach them to complain if i ever get calls again.

Needless to say i was in shock.

you might want to try the attorney generals office if your having problems with calls you believe are against the law or your rights.
Dampier
Phillip M Dampier
join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Dampier

said by Keefer21:

Just my two cents, When i got my digital phone number i too was getting harassing phone calls all hours of the day and night from debt collectors for the previous subscriber. i just kept a handwritten log as well as printed phone records for my local cable office and forwarded them my states attorney general's office.

Wow...I too have a number previously used by a deadbeat and apparently she still gives out what is now my number on various forms because I am getting calls for recent things. I even get calls from the city school when her kid does not show up for school.

If I read you right, you were tolerating this for an entire year? I wonder why you didn't just call them and ask for a new number.

I am also surprised they sent you money. The especially sleazy ones in Buffalo are especially awful, with one telling me he thought I was lying about who I was and demanded I get this woman "out of my bed" and on the phone. They wouldn't give you the time of day and if the Attorney General starts asking questions, they just shut down and reopen under a new name.

I use Google Voice for my primary so I'll just end up having them change the number, which I don't really depend on.
Keefer21
join:2012-07-06
Hilton, NY

Keefer21

I put up with it because why should i have to change my number? and its such a pain in the ass when everyone has it, Friends, Family, Doctors, Utilities, Work Etc. Plus i felt at the time like i was on some type of crusade against shystie debt collection agencies and wanted to make them pay after trying to be nice and being called various names by the collectors. F that.