All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Zephyrus
@swbell.net

Zephyrus

Anon

Do all surge protectors still protect when switched off?

One of my surge protectors (a major brand) says in the paperwork that it continues to offer surge protection even if the unit is switched off. I have seen that stated for another brand as well. Yet some other models don't mention it at all. Do "all" surge protectors continue to provide protection when switched off? i.e., can they be used as a master power switch for several components and still be protected in the "off mode" even if they don't specifically mention it in their paperwork?

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

If the MOVs or similar components are before the switch in the surge protector, then they will offer *some* surge protection to other devices plugged into nearby outlets.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to Zephyrus

Premium Member

to Zephyrus
Isn't a surge protector nothing more than a fancy fuse?

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS

Premium Member

said by kingdome74:

Isn't a surge protector nothing more than a fancy fuse?

Kinda sorta, MOV's shunt the surge, and after absorbing enough energy, they eventually go "poof." However unlike a fuse, they are almost always doing their work in parallel, not in series of the devices they supposedly protect.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Zephyrus

Premium Member

to Zephyrus
if the switch does truly cut the power than no surge should ever reach the hardware when its off.

Naturally this is talking general grid based surges. if lightning hits the pole outside your house the only thing that protects 100% then is having the device unplugged.