uniqs
share rss forum feed

WadeG

join:2012-08-22
Cadiz, KY
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit

[KY] Slow speeds for months and still no fix.

I was wondering if my slow speeds were the norm for Mediacom. I had Mediacom in Arizona but when I moved east it is just to slow.

I cant seem to get anywhere with phone support or the several techs that came to my house. Even the area supervisor has been to my house and said he don't know how to fix it.

So far the lines from the pole to modem in the house been replaced and the modem. My speeds are: UPLOAD SPEED 1.3 Mb/s DOWNLOAD SPEED 12 Mb/s Network latency: 93 msec round trip time
Jitter: 1.4e+2 msec.

I have been on the 20/2 for 2 years now and this has been ongoing for 8 months now.

Any help is welcome.

If anyone wants to read the 10 pages of ongoing talks with Mediacom: »mediacomcable.com/CustomerSuppor···c=6456.0

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:118
Thank you for posting here on the DSL forums. I have been working with the moderators on the Mediacom forums and we all have been escalating your issue working towards a resolution. As of now, we are working with Engineering if we can duplicate the issue. I know this issue has been ongoing for a while, but the moderators on the Mediacom forums, as well and me here, are going to do everything we can to get this issue resolved for you.
--
MediacomChad
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
Thanks Chad. I just thought that since the Mediacom forum and phone support seem to get me nowhere, I thought that I would try outside sources for help.

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
reply to WadeG
Is that the speed you get from a speedtest?

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
Yes it is. I haven't been able to get much over 10down in months no matter what time of day or night.

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
reply to WadeG
I would like to point out that the fiber cuts that seem to happen every month has resulted in slower and slower speeds.

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
reply to MediacomChad
The tech that was out a few days ago was able to get the same thing I got. His statement was he was getting slower speed from the pole on the street than in my house.

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
Reviews:
·Mediacom

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
Reviews:
·Mediacom
»www.speedtest.net/result/2145295840.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/2145299244.png

Yeah this will never be fixed. If it does I will publicly apologize to all at Mediacom via »mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/forum and here.

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
reply to MediacomChad
Still no fix and don't think there will be.

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to WadeG
Now I am done with waiting on a fix. Contacted the better business bureau to see if they can help me.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2161855601.png

This is not 20/2 service and been getting speeds like this for months now with no speeds faster than this.

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to WadeG

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
You need to downgrade your service.

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
Why should I downgrade? I have been paying for 20/2 for the past 2 years and the past 8 months I been getting this speed. I think they should fix it or refund me the money I been paying extra.

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to WadeG
Well MediacomChad I had the area supervisor at my house again and still not fixed. He even told me he wants me to go away (not very professional). Now I have a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem and getting the same slow speeds as always. In 2 weeks I have had 4 techs to my house and they replaced everything form the road to my modem and the modem too. What now? Replace my house?

Anonymous
Premium
IA
They can only do so much and if people keep calling they become a nuisance. It sucks but that's the way it is.

PS Not sure why people insist on getting a supervisor out. Sure most of them were field techs at one point but most of the time they have not been in the field for years and have no tools to do cable work.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by Anonymous:

They can only do so much and if people keep calling they become a nuisance.

What a way to run a business, Tell those that have poor service (and actually have the audacity to complain about it) to go away.

7 years ago when I first had Mediacom cable I was in the same position. Constant problems weekly for over a year and half period. I complained and complained. Mediacom went thru the motions but never did give me satisfactory service. I finally left and went to DSL which for 6 years was rock solid and reliable.

Now thanks to Mediacom Chad I am once again "trying" Mediacom Internet. For 6 months their service has been "adequate". I will never again allow myself to get into the position of suffering thru poor service- from ANY company. If Mediacom ever gives me the poor service like they did 7 years ago I will be back to DSL in a heartbeat.

VeN0mizer

@myvzw.com
reply to Anonymous
Hook up an old unprovisioned modem...utilize the handy dandy http daemon included on 99.99999% of modems...look at downstream/upstream dBm and SNR levels on the diag page...there's your fancy signal checking tool *rolls eyes at unequipped techs who refuse to improvise*

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Anonymous
I didnt ask for the supervisor or the other techs 3 days in a row to show up. They came unannounced and did some test with their own pc's. They look and me and say "What do you want me to do?". I am not a tech nor claim to be. I just want what I have paid for and not getting.

Doityourself

@mycingular.net
reply to WadeG
Why don't you just cancel your service and find another provider. Get DSL service or go with a wireless provider. It obvious they don't have much interest in getting this fixed. If other people in the area were complaining they would probably have some more incentive. Right now it's probably just you. Or calm down, downgrade to 3 or 12 mbit service and help yourself to a lower bill. It's not the end of the world if you're not getting exactly 20 mbit.

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by Doityourself :

If other people in the area were complaining they would probably have some more incentive. Right now it's probably just you.

This is the BIG problem for Mediacom. One unsatisfied customer is almost guaranteed to tell others about his poor experience with Mediacom. Not only locally but on the internet.

My village is a perfect example. Mediacom has such a poor reputation here that it is extremely difficult for them to get new customers. Word gets around in a small town, and Mediacom pays the price by not getting the volume of customers they should have. Competition like DSL and the TV satellite companies make Mediacom pay a very high price for poor customer service...

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Doityourself
I agree that DSL is an option but I do not even have phone lines in my house. I know I am not the only 1 complaining that they are not getting close to what we are paying for. I was just thinking that if I post on more than the Mediacom forum that Mediacom would get up and fix the issue. I have found out that they do not care what kind of service they provide you just better pay for it.

TMar

join:2006-12-05
Gilbertsville, KY

1 edit
reply to WadeG
Be nice to get some kind of answer on this. Mediacom CS on twitter confirm they have been doing "upgrades" with no ETA but they are "actively working on it". Night long outages a couple of times a week and the past week speeds of
said by Doityourself :

Why don't you just cancel your service and find another provider. Get DSL service or go with a wireless provider. It obvious they don't have much interest in getting this fixed. If other people in the area were complaining they would probably have some more incentive. Right now it's probably just you. Or calm down, downgrade to 3 or 12 mbit service and help yourself to a lower bill. It's not the end of the world if you're not getting exactly 20 mbit.

Because there's not much of any competition in the area? DSL in the area is spotty at best and doesn't offer any better speeds than the crappy speed he's getting now. And no it's not just him but most people don't know when they are getting crappy speeds and pings while checking their email. It's also not about getting "exactly 20 mbit" but not even getting half that and sometimes not even getting 1/10th that. I have 15Mbps but yet I'm getting 1Mbps -4Mbps. I don't have "high speed" internet to not be able to watch a 720 youtube video without waiting for it to buffer.

XeveX

@mchsi.com
reply to Doityourself
I'd love to find another provider, but Mediacon is a monopoly corporation here... It was SUPPOSED to be regulated by the local municipality, but the city is controlled by the corporate money here now. The corporations are not bound by law, and they're even being allowed to be judge and jury if they 'feel' someone has broken the law over their connections...

My serviced are still at half the promised speed. Still not fixed and being ignored now.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:118
XeveX, I will be happy to look into the speed issues you area currently having. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
See not just me it the area. Controlled by Mediacom ignored by Mediacom. There motto is "Fastest internet vs dial up". Throw your money at us and we will give you what you get. Cancel and pay us more.

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to WadeG
Well I guess I have to just suffer the only choice I have. I dont think they even care anymore. No fix as of yet. »testmy.net/fO7uzp5.QAVTn23.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/2269713144.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/2269715260.png

WadeG

Cadiz, KY
6 1/2 months later still no fix. Wish there were other providers for my area.

Anonymous
Premium
IA
said by WadeG:

6 1/2 months later still no fix. Wish there were other providers for my area.

so you haven't downgraded your service?
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

stark4142

join:2012-11-01
Why would he downgrade his service? He wants a certain package that they offer, and they're not making good on the contract. If anything after 6.5 months he should report them to the BBB or at least get credited by them for that amount of time.