MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to WadeG

Premium Member

to WadeG

Re: [KY] Slow speeds for months and still no fix.

I will work with you on this continued problem.
WadeG
join:2012-08-22
Riverton, KS

WadeG

Thank you for your efforts.
WadeG

WadeG

Any update?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I replied via IM.
kb0nly
join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN

kb0nly to WadeG

to WadeG
WadeG... Did you get anywhere on this?

Been fighting an uphill battle here myself, numerous tech visits, new modems, new drop to house, fix after fix after fix, and the latency is still crap and the speeds marginal.
WadeG
Riverton, KS

WadeG

I have been told that I don't have to fight any more. There is no fix and there will not be a fix. After a year of fighting they tell me this. Even the supervisor tells me there is no fix to the slow speeds but they will still be happy to charge me like I have 20 Mbps internet.

Justpassinby
@mchsi.com

Justpassinby

Anon

Why don't you take the initiative and downgrade your service to the 3mbit or 12mbit service? If they admit that the speeds can't be provided all the time, you are just throwing your money away. Maybe the issue isn't as bad as you say it is?
WadeG
Riverton, KS

WadeG

I have tried that and the speeds got much slower. Example 20/2=10/2 then I tried going to a 10 Mbps download speed and I get 3-5 Mbps. I feel if I go lower then I will not have a download speed at all.
WadeG

WadeG

Just an update: It has been a year and only had 1 day my download speeds were at a high of 10.32 Mbps. That is the highest in a long time but that was weeks ago. Most recent was:

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 4175.png

Thank you for the awesome service.
WadeG

WadeG

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 92&ria=0
WadeG

1 recommendation

WadeG

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Mx7k7mso

This explains it all.
WadeG

WadeG

AnonName
@mchsi.com

AnonName to WadeG

Anon

to WadeG
great video, and that's no shit.. when it paused to buffer I almost thought that was part of the gag.. but oh no mediacom is so spotty. I call in once every two weeks to complain about my service being down/slow. And their 'made things more reliable' commercial.. what a joke.

bonus; while typing this my modem rebooted.. THANKS MEDIACOM

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hello AnonName,

I would be happy to look into these service interruptions for you. Please feel free to personally message me on here.
WadeG
Riverton, KS

WadeG

He has to be talking to you because even MediacomChad couldn't help me.
WadeG

WadeG to AnonName

to AnonName
You call in every 2 weeks? I been calling in every week for a year now. The best they came up with is messing it up more. Started out with a 20/2 connection. Then modem went bad dropped to 14/2. They sent out several techs and a supervisor and it dropped to 10/2. Now I am lucky to ever see 8/2 even tho I have never changed my service speed contract.

Download and upload speeds almost the same.
WadeG

WadeG

Well another tech came today and said nothing was wrong but the speeds are the same. Slow as hell.

Good work being done here (NOT).
WadeG

WadeG

Another tech visit and another no fix.

WadeG

WadeG

I will be glad when Google fiber rolls out to the rest of the US that way for $20-$30 more I can have speeds "UP to" 1 Gbps. That would be better than the 1-10 Mbps that I get now. Add TV and I would pay $50 less. Hmm less for more.

TJFriday
join:2009-06-29
Des Moines, IA

TJFriday

Hi WadeG,

I was wondering if you could post the results of a tracert to a site (i.e., google.com, or whatever)? I just noticed that I hadn't seen anything like that posted in your thread. I'm curious as to who/where Mediacom is peering for your geographic area.

I'm in central Iowa, but if I attempt to run Speedtests to servers that are physically located nearby or even in the state, I receive inaccurate/seemingly poor results--and there is fiber strung and buried all over this land of corn and soy beans! The reason for these results is because Mediacom peers with other major infrastructure in Chicago for my service area, so internet traffic has to take a very circuitous and congested route to get back to servers that are physically close to me. However, when I run Speedtest against servers in Chicago (specifically the Comcast one there), I often see single-digit ping times (i.e., sometimes less than 5ms!) and speeds that very accurately reflect my subscribed rates. For example:

Perhaps if we can figure out where Mediacom peers for your area, we can get a much more accurate measurement. When you're seeing pings of 100ms+, you're not going to get a very accurate measurements of your subscribed speeds. I've run into your exact issue before when working with clients and friends around the state that use Mediacom, too, and it's tough to know where the measurement should be taken without knowing where Mediacom is peered.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hello WadeG,

We are still working with the technicians to figure out what the next course of action would be. I can see that they were able to run a speedtest from their device in your home and get proper speeds for your account. So we'll continue to work with you until you get the right speeds as well. We also want to thank you for your ongoing patience and willingness to troubleshoot with our team.
WadeG
Riverton, KS

WadeG

Yes the connected to a mediacom site to check speeds but here is some more from today:

And he had several issues getting good speeds too. Only a few out of several he ran got a good speed. I didnt think he would report all the bad 1's he got too. So how many did he report? I seen him do several (more than 20) and all but from 2-3 he did didnt time out.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to WadeG

Premium Member

to WadeG
Wage Mediacom is testing an internal speedtest website and once that's up and running and if it shows your speed is fine within Mediacom network they will tell you to stop calling in. Cool thing about it is it makes sure your bandwidth is OK, there is no packet loss, checks latency and it has multiple servers. Once you're out of Mediacom network you are on your own.

No other speedtest website will be used by techs or CSRs.

TJFriday
join:2009-06-29
Des Moines, IA

TJFriday to WadeG

to WadeG
WadeG,

Can you provide the results of a tracert to a couple of different websites, please? I'm curious as to where you're exiting Mediacom's infrastructure.