uniqs

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF

MVM

Mobile HF

Too quiet here, so thought I'd start a new topic.

Getting ready to install mobile HF in a Ford Escape Hybrid. So far initial testing shows no RFI problems, in fact, it's quieter than the Chevy Blazer I owned prior.

My biggest problem has been trying to figure out how the heck to mount a screwdriver antenna to this vehicle. There's really nothing solid to mount to on these newer cars, but I think I may have come up with something, I'm waiting on the machine shop to tell me if they can make the custom bracket for me.

I'm sure there will be more posts forthcoming as the install progresses.
Jazzemt
join:2009-02-12
USA

Jazzemt

Look to see if there is a tow hitch avalable for the car. I know there are some out for prius cars so there should be something for the escape.

UHF
MVM

UHF

MVM

Tow hitch mount is last resort since I can't open the tailgate or the glass if I do that.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

You need to drill or use a tri mag mount.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to UHF

to UHF
I've several of these in the parking lot of ham fests. You shouldn't have a problem opening the tailgate or glass since it's offset to the side.

»www.installer.com/item/d ··· ch-mount

UHF
MVM

UHF to fifty nine

MVM

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

Drill into what? The sheet metal is too thing to support that amount of wind load.
UHF

UHF to battleop

MVM

to battleop
said by battleop:

I've several of these in the parking lot of ham fests. You shouldn't have a problem opening the tailgate or glass since it's offset to the side.

»www.installer.com/item/d ··· ch-mount

I'd seen that. I built something similar today. I'll get some pics posted eventually. Mine only cost $20, including labor for the welder. Still need to paint it.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to UHF

to UHF
said by UHF:

said by fifty nine:

Drill into what? The sheet metal is too thing to support that amount of wind load.

It can support it actually. There are people who put BIG antennas on their car. For really long antennas you should guy them.

UHF
MVM

UHF

MVM

Well, I talked to the body shop and they said there's no way in hell the sheet metal will support anything. You can flex entire panels just by lightly pushing on them. A screwdriver antenna is going to put an incredible amount of load on the mounting bracket when your going down the highway at 70-80mph.

A lip mount on the hood flexed the hood at 55mph. I can't imagine getting on the interstate with it mounted that way.

On my last truck I used a fender mount. That doesn't even work on this one, the fender is too thin and flexes too easily. I wonder if they made things so thin for weight reasons? Ford is switching over to aluminum bodies and the 2014 F-150 trucks will be aluminum to get weight down and meet the govt MPG requirements.

I've already drilled one hole in the roof and am happy to report that the steel is sturdy there!

I've got a couple of projects that must be completed before I can start working on the HF install again, but I'll update here when I'm able to get back to it.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

k0BG has good advice on mounts:

»www.k0bg.com/antmount.html