Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Re: Where Am I Listed ?

said by Davesnothere:

....I would not want a phone provider to make a judgement regarding what is best for me, the subscriber, and not at least explain up-front to me that this is how they do things, and that for perhaps the first time ever, I do feel that I have caught the otherwise untarnishable CallCentric doing just that.

As nobody here can say for absolute sure what is happening with them, regarding what they SAY they do for outbound CNAM (which is supposedly nothing at all), and what they APPEAR to be doing, which is either populating an LIDB on my behalf without asking (or even telling) me of it, or sending CNAM on-the-fly on that same basis, I thus will have no other choice but to open a repair ticket with them on Monday to try to get a formal answer about it.

Privacy issues and laws are at stake here too, as I have alluded earlier.

EUREKA UPDATE :

I just thought of another place at which I could check for a listing of my CC number.

So I went to the CallWithUs (CWU) website, logged into my account, and did a .0063 cent USD lookup (Targus, I believe) of my CC number.

YES, WE HAVE SOME BANANAS !

My CallCentric number AND NAME are in the Targus database !

It shows other things too, such as the name of my/CallCentric's CLEC, but not CC's name outright.

So, does this mean that CallCentric uses Targus as their CNAM lookup partner, and would Targus also be who ANVEO uses ?

As I posted earlier, it was ANVEO doing a CNAM lookup and unexpectedly finding my correct name during the primary tests for this thread, which sparked my investigation of this matter in the first place.

= = = = = = = = = =

SUMMARY :

My tests of ANVEO's CNAM lookups (and other offshoot tests) have led me to these observations :

(1) Anveo's inbound CNAM lookup is pretty decent for Canadian numbers - that is IF you know where in their portal to find and enable it (as the public part of their site does not even say that they HAVE this service), and if you do not mind that there is a small cost to use it.

(2) CallCentric seems to support LIDB/CNAM population for at least SOME of their DID numbers, even though their official position (see their website FAQ) is that they do not. - And so far it seems that ANVEO does NOT support LIDB/CNAM population, and I do not recall whether or not they say so on their website.

(3) Based on my tests, I am speculating that CallCentric and Anveo each use the same LIDB/CNAM-Lookup partner as CallWithUs does - that being TARGUS.

(4) CallCentric and Anveo do NOT use the same CLEC to service my rate centre.
Davesnothere

2 edits

Davesnothere to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704

Vitelity's Website & CNAM

Click for full size

I noticed that you have done a review of them (as well as posted about them occasionally), so I read it.

What you wrote impressed me enough to read some of the other folks' reviews.

One of those reviews mentioned a $10 one-time fee for LIDB/CNAM population for outbound calling.

I went to the website of the provider and was further impressed.

WHAT a well constructed site !

It did not take very long at all to find out most of what I wanted to know (though a few things would require registering a portal login to see them).

I seem to recall yourself and/or someone else saying here that they are a CLEC, and that they provide much of the USA footprint for VOIP.MS - and that $10 LIDB/CNAM fee seems familiar too in commentary about VOIP.MS.

Unfortunately their support of Canadian rate centres seems to be rather sparse.

Above is a screenshot of how VITELITY does CNAM - simple to understand, though not free - you choose what you want and they provide it - no surprises and no mysteries.

I am in love with their website's conciseness, clarity, and structure.

Many other VoIPPs could learn something (or in some cases almost everything ) from examining it, and we know who we mean.

Cheers !
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Vitelity just recently revamped their website.

Still, in many ways they are simply [not] up to the level of CallCentric or Voip.MS in many aspects of call control and account/CDR information available.

Vitelity also charges for [outbound] CNAM---not only a $ 10 setup fee but ALSO an ongoing charge of $ 1.49 a month. I think that's pretty high.

Not impressed with the overall picture.

I would not praise or damn a VoIPP based on one minor attribute; that's my opinion anyway.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

Vitelity also charges for [outbound] CNAM---not only a $ 10 setup fee but ALSO an ongoing charge of $ 1.49 a month. I think that's pretty high.

Heh. They make money coming AND going with that. For context, carriers are compensated each and every time someone requests a name for one of their DIDs.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Re: Perspectives

Here's where I'm coming from.

Let's say someone escaped from a country with a horribly repressive situation---like northern Mali today.

And they were able to end up in a great country like Canada.

But then they spent their days railing against something small, like Canada's law that requires daytime running lights on cars, ignoring all the other great stuff about Canada, and likewise not taking into account the bad thing they had escaped from (whether Mali or BellCanada).

That's all I'm saying....

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704

Re: Vitelity's Website & CNAM

said by PX Eliezer704:

....Vitelity also charges for [outbound] CNAM---not only a $ 10 setup fee but ALSO an ongoing charge of $ 1.49 a month.

I think that's pretty high.

Not impressed with the overall picture.

I would not praise or damn a VoIPP based on one minor attribute; that's my opinion anyway.

And neither will I.

But since you reviewed them, and generally offer advice which sits well with me, I took a look.... leading to my post about them.

And yes, I noticed their fee structure in the screenshot.

But there ARE other VoIPPs which come to my mind, which OPENLY include these kinds of services, making them part of the overall package, and which are known for providing exemplary support/service, but which charge more for their package, or for their per-minute rates, or for both.

And I am not sure just what sort of 'Call Treatments' can be done at Vitelity - and not doing THOSE sufficiently well would be a deal-breaker for me, even if a provider did everything else the way I have said that I prefer, including supporting my rate centre.

My post about Vitelity was simply to make an example of another way in which CallCentric might consider doing things, in order to be more transparent.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704

Re: Perspectives

said by PX Eliezer704:

Here's where I'm coming from....

I get it.

But I am one who would be willing to pay somewhat more to have things exactly how I want them.

And it would take a lot of nickel and diming on top of one or another of our best-known VoIPP's rates (for various features & functions) to get anywhere NEAR what Bell Canada is known to charge for a less feature-rich service !

= = = = = =

Bell charges in my rate zone over $24 Canadian bucks per month for basic POTS service with 911 and touch tone, with ZERO calling features, and ZERO long distance calling.

Plus 13% HST applies now up here.
Davesnothere

2 edits

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704

Re: Where Am I Listed ?

said by PX Eliezer704:

....It might be interesting if CC offered LIDB opt-out as an option, but I think the demand for it would be pretty low.

Maybe just one person
.... ....

I resemble that remark.

But then again, so would many folks who simply want an UNLISTED number.

Mayhaps THAT is how I should have explained myself when I first stated what I was after from CC.
said by PX Eliezer704:

I've never been to a diner where the waiter asks, "should I omit the crackers for your soup ?"

Most people are glad to get such crackers, and the large majority of people (including here) view LIDB population as a good thing.

Another similarity :

Originally, McDonalds offered two discrete menu panels for the Quarter Pounder - one with cheese and one without - and the one WITH cheese costed 50 cents more or something like that.

In more recent years, they only have ONE menu panel - WITH cheese - and guess what - if you say "NO CHEESE PLEASE", the price does NOT get reduced - at least not in Canada, anyway.
said by PX Eliezer704:

said by Davesnothere:

"in the Call Setup" - does that mean "if it is sent on-the-fly by the caller's phone provider" ?

Yes, as is often done in Canadian calling.

Thanks for the clarification of that term.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

It looks like some of my observations made here have again surfaced, in THIS next thread :

»[General] Who Supports Outbound CNAM Besides CC?
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Topic Surfaces Again

Another new thread touches upon what I discovered in the current thread.

This one :

»Callcentric Outgoing CNAM
Iscream
Premium Member
join:2009-02-17
New York, NY

Iscream

Premium Member

Because the same matter is referenced by two different threads - I'm posting the update - twice as well.

Thanks for pointing at that stale link.

A support for Outbound CNAM feature is provided for free for all North American DIDs since mid of February (2012).

Also, as some people have noticed it already - the Canadian CNAM is also automatically supported (that said - it takes a precedence over anything that could be in LIDB or 3rd party CNAM database) unless overwritten by an address book entry. The feature (Canadian CNAM support) was available since September (2012).

Arne - thanks for pointing out (for those who actually understand the matter) that it's not just a CNAM that is provided there, but rather a population of complete LIDB record entry, including all required line's parameters.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Iscream:

Because the same matter is referenced by two different threads - I'm posting the update - twice as well.

Thanks for pointing at that stale link....

No problem.

I take it that you mean my link »www.callcentric.com/faq/31/222 to the CC FAQ ? (recently mentioned by me in the new thread, and also earlier in the current thread)

I must have missed the original CallCentric website announcement, and related posts on DSLR were inconclusive/inconsistent in the meantime.

Nice detailed explanation in there now !
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to Iscream

Premium Member

to Iscream

BTW folks, the page of the CallCentric site where all things related to CID & CNAM are covered is :

»www.callcentric.com/faq/31

Does Anveo have such a page ?