how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Twisterman

@rogers.com

[Extreme] Rogers Kitchener Waterloo Upload Bonding

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone near the Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge area is able to get higher than 1mbps / 2mbps (ultimate) on their upload.

I know that other cities have gotten this upgrade such as Toronto area but I can not tell if the infrastructure is in place for my city yet.

If anyone has gotten the upgrade or has any information on when it might happen please post here.

Thanks

frubsen

join:2002-03-19
Canada
I just called in to check for myself. (I'm in Waterloo). The Rogers Rep said it wasn't available for me yet. I'm on Extreme using a Cisco Docsis 3 modem and have 8x4 bonding.

I believe Extreme users will be getting 3mbps if I' not mistaken.

scorpido
Premium
join:2009-11-02
New Hamburg, ON
kudos:1
In New Hamburg and no bonding on the upstream yet and I'm on the ultimate package

scorpido
Premium
New Hamburg, ON
My DHCP lease from Rogers now only lasts an hour before it expires. Might be getting bonding

Taylortbb
Premium
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON
reply to Twisterman
Several people in the TekSavvy forum have 8x2 or 8x4 service in Waterloo Region. It's done node by node (a node is 100-200 houses) not for the entire city at once. I'm near Victoria Park and still only have 4x1.
--
Taylor Byrnes

Firedevil

join:2012-03-08
Kitchener, ON
reply to Twisterman
I now have 8x4 channel bonding as of 11:00 today. However many others in the Kitchener/Waterloo area have had 8x4 bonding for quite a while, so it seems that they do just upgrade each node individually.

scorpido
Premium
New Hamburg, ON
Anyone know how many nodes there are in new Hamburg?

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

2 edits
said by scorpido:

Anyone know how many nodes there are in new Hamburg?

If you go to your local hardware or electronics supply shop, just ask if they carry a Broadband Node Identification Calculator. I think they're $9.99 or so. Climb the highest tree or hydro pole and face due North. Set the unit to Digital Scan 3 (Rogers). The Identifier will scan for all Rogers broadband nodes within a 20 square mile area and calculate the current active number.
If you could post your findings here it will be of great help to the rest of us......

scorpido
Premium
New Hamburg, ON
So I assume that goes on the shelve with my transporter and my replicator machine? lol I will just ask the TIA..lol (Teksavvy Intelligence Agency) maybe they know..lol omg that thread is awesome :P

elitefx

London, ON
Glad I could be of some help my friend.....

Coolio10_t

join:2012-05-06
reply to Firedevil
Same, only took Rogers like 2-3 months to fix it from being only 1 down and 1 up. I live in Cambridge, but very close to Kitchener.

Jelllo

@rogers.com
reply to Twisterman
I'm in south Kitchener and just get 2mbps up on Ultimate with 8 X 4 channels bonded.

elitefx

London, ON

3 edits
said by Jelllo :

I'm in south Kitchener and just get 2mbps up on Ultimate with 8 X 4 channels bonded.

You know, I don't understand this. The whole premise of channel bonding ( as I understand it) is to multiply (bond) the single channel upstream/downstream speed. 75/2 @ four channels bonded should be 8mbps upstream + 600mbps downstream @ 8 channels bonded......

8 concurrent streams @ 75mbps downstream
4 concurrent streams @ 2mbps upstream.....

»www.translation-please.com/dicti···aryid=86

Taylortbb
Premium
Kitchener, ON
said by elitefx:

said by Jelllo :

You know, I don't understand this. The whole premise of channel bonding ( as I understand it) is to multiply (bond) the single channel upstream/downstream speed. 75/2 @ four channels bonded should be 8mbps upstream + 600mbps downstream @ 8 channels bonded......

8 concurrent streams @ 75mbps downstream
4 concurrent streams @ 2mbps upstream.....

»www.translation-please.com/dicti···aryid=86

That's because it doesn't work anything like that.

Each channel is 38Mb/s, regardless of which package you subscribe to. That 38Mb/s is shared between everyone on a node (cable is a broadcast medium, a signal sent out goes to everyone not just your house). That total bandwidth (8 x 38Mb/s = 304Mb/s) is then split up between the 100-200 houses on your node. It's split up by allocating each modem time slices of a fraction of a second to send/receive data. It's a shared medium so everyone has to take their turn. Your modem's provisioning profile ensures you don't exceed your subscribed speeds. Those parts of the system are why you can't just load new firmware on your modem and re-configure it, one modem "speaking out of turn" can ruin it for everyone, you could also override your speed profile.

This does mean there isn't enough bandwidth for everyone to get full speed at once. Consumer internet is an oversubscribed service, it works based on the fact not every person is using their full internet speed at once. Non-oversubscribed service is what you get from an expensive business fibre connection.

The additional channels don't improve an individual user's speed unless they change packages. What it does is enable more available bandwidth so that Rogers can offer faster packages.
--
Taylor Byrnes

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit
said by Taylortbb:

What it does is enable more available bandwidth so that Rogers can offer faster packages.

Thanks. Wondered what it was all about. So there's zero consumer advantage to channel bonding and 100% Rogers advantage to channel bonding re: increased future revenue. Surprise! Surprise!

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
said by elitefx:

Wondered what it was all about. So there's zero consumer advantage to channel bonding and 100% Rogers advantage to channel bonding re: increased future revenue. Surprise! Surprise!

If the Nodes get over-populated then Rogers have a number of options -- upgrade their equipment to better handle the congestion or provide additional nodes. Each node if properly equipped [with the right gear] should be able to handle 400 homes assuming that the Nodes are FTTN. If the Nodes have been populated with more than 400 [440 max] then they should provides additional nodes --- but nodes are very expensive so it all depends on the area and many other variables.

Cable broadband is a shared medium --- with DOCSIS 3.0 channel bonding does provide the consumer with significant advanatges but those advantages disappear if the network is not balanced properly or ill equipped --- The cost to Balance the Network is not trivial --- many factors are involved.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

Taylortbb
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by Taylortbb:

What it does is enable more available bandwidth so that Rogers can offer faster packages.

Thanks. Wondered what it was all about. So there's zero consumer advantage to channel bonding and 100% Rogers advantage to channel bonding re: increased future revenue. Surprise! Surprise!

Rogers has upgraded Extreme from 15Mb/s to 24Mb/s then 28Mb/s all for the same price, wouldn't be possible without channel bonding. Now, no argument Rogers is a ripoff (I'm a TekSavvy cable customer), but faster speeds are a consumer benefit.
--
Taylor Byrnes