spc
Search similar:

uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Disconnecting the MAF temporarily?

On Friday evening I started taking off my fuel rail to get to a vacuum leak at a fuel injector.
I planned to get new o-rings during the weekend, but an emergency happened and I did nothing during the weekend.

So on Monday morning I had to re-seat the fuel injectors without new o-rings so I can drive to work.

The vacuum leak is now worse and my engine stalls if I don't carefully let my engine go to idle smoothly.

So I know if I disconnect the MAF I can have a huge vac leak without stalling, but that was only to inject seafoam in the brake booster line. I don't know if I can drive without the MAF. I don't care for fuel economy, it would just be until this weekend.

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn

It shouldn't hurt anything but it may not drive well either. That trick helps idle but once the engine is under load the static tables may not allow it to drive very smoothly.

You'd probably have a harder time driving it that way than you have now with the vac leak.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by MooJohn:

You'd probably have a harder time driving it that way than you have now with the vac leak.

Okidoke

Anyway, only one more day of driving with it, and I stick to residential streets to avoid having to suddenly stop.

My next problem is that nobody seems to carry the grommet/oring/seal I need
I think I will have to order online and drive crappily longer!

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
I'm surprised it even runs.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by mityfowl:

I'm surprised it even runs.

The leak isn't major, and it's isolated to one cylinder that misfires when idling, but it works when driving.

Though the car isn't in a tolerable driving condition. The only reason I still get around with it is because I only use it to get to work, which is only a 3 mile drive, doable in residential streets. My main car, a Santa Fe 2007, is what I use for anything else. Hence why I'm taking my time on the mazda... well, less now that I know what's wrong and I made it worse

Next week I'm on vacation, so I will order the o-ring online (Not available locally it seems) and get it next week. I can't wait to get that mazda's engine back to normal and make it again MY main car
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to alkizmo

to alkizmo
I've found that metal tape works quite well as a "temporary" fix for vacuum leaks. One of our vehicles is notorious for such leaks, and I currently have (I think) three places taped up on it. One of these days when the weather is cooler (and my garage is cleaner) I will attack these leaks all at once, with proper fixes.

Small rolls of metal tape can be bought at most auto parts places, in the body repair and/or exhaust repair sections. It can also be found at most hardware stores and many hardware departments of general stores and such.