spc
uniqs
fishacura
join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura to aaronwt

to aaronwt

Re: Router id/pw

Amazing....so any TECH who's out installing FIOS could easily have your personal info. NUTS!

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

said by fishacura:

Amazing....so any TECH who's out installing FIOS could easily have your personal info. NUTS!

When they handle dozens of these a day its HIGHLY NOT likely. They truly have better things to do than track each pw at every home.
fishacura
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura

You're more trusting than I am. I could easily see someone making a racket out of compiling that info and either selling it and/or doing a "drive by" a month down the road and hacking into the network to get personal info. If there are hundreds of techs doing these installations, it's absurd to think there aren't at least a few rotten apples.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

said by fishacura:

You're more trusting than I am. I could easily see someone making a racket out of compiling that info and either selling it and/or doing a "drive by" a month down the road and hacking into the network to get personal info. If there are hundreds of techs doing these installations, it's absurd to think there aren't at least a few rotten apples.

actually no...it would be far more suspicious to see a car parked outside your home with someone on a laptop attempting to access your wireless network.

In today's paranoid environment that would be riskier so you can take off your tinfoil hat and relax. There are more places that have more people that have access to far more details about your life than your verizon installer.
fishacura
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura

Not at all...I'm not one of those "how dare you ask for my license" people. However, to knowingly allow someone to know any user id/pw is just bad practice. A car parked in the open in the country versus someone on a laptop in an urban environment are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Again, I'm not saying go live in your bunker...but there's a big difference between very minor steps to securing you personal information and putting on a tin foil hat.
lijacobs
join:2010-07-30
Woodmere, NY

lijacobs to fishacura

to fishacura
said by fishacura:

If there are hundreds of techs doing these installations, it's absurd to think there aren't at least a few rotten apples.

Speaking from decades of experience, you are absolutely wrong about the integrety of the VZ techs.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to fishacura

MVM

to fishacura
said by fishacura:

so any TECH who's out installing FIOS could easily have your personal info.

So what if he has the router password?

What does it get him unless you've explicitly enabled remote access to the router GUI (it's disabled by default)?