join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to dave

Re: [News] MS unveils new logo to support new software direction

said by dave:

First you'd have to define what you mean by "creative", which is not a synonym for "complicated"

Fundamentally we're discussing a matter of taste here. You don't have to like it, or not like it. It's just aesthetic taste. Microsoft's branding team are, I suppose, banking on more people liking than not liking it, and since I don't imagine they work for cheap, I wouldn't necessarily bet on them being wrong.

And whether or not you could have "done it in Paint" is irrelevant to whether it looks good for the purpose it's used for. You can do a Mondrian in Paint too

I bet most corporate logo reworking over the past few decades has gone i n the direction of "simpler". But I'm too lazy to check that hypothesis.

Incidentally, I just thought a little more about 'why' I like it. In comparing to the previous version, it's the improved logotype font that primarily attracts me. The symbol is an improvement, too, since it doesn't have that cheesy 3D look, but fundamentally, it's the typeface that does it.

Opinions:

»mashable.com/2012/08/23/microsof···mentary/
»blogs.computerworld.com/windows/···s-itbwcw

I am not trying to argue or imply that creative has to be complicated. In fact you could make the case that this logo is more complicated than the last one due to the graphic and the colors, none of which the last one had. I am arguing that four colored squares and a gray word are not inspiring or creative, at least not to me. Its simply forgettable. I guess its better than the Windows 8 logo, but that's setting the bar realllllly low.

The truth is, their new logo is unlikely to affect a single software sale. I'm not going to quit buying Windows or Office because I don't like the Microsoft logo. I might quit buying it though if I don't like the UI or the software.
--
Ron Paul 2012 »www.ronpaul2012.com
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. (((XM)))

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to FFH

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2
reply to FFH

Click for full size
I wonder who copied who:

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

That logo screams "old fashioned", mostly because of the heavily-serif'ed typeface, and also because of the attempt to reproduce an actual flapping flag, rather than reducing it to simple graphic elements. Mind you, "old fashioned" might not be a bad attribute to want to associate with a bank, since it carries dependability, solidity, etc., (all that George Bailey stuff), along with it.

What's the patch for? Who wears it?

But to your point, I don't imagine that flag + company name is particularly unque in the world of logos.

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2

I don't know for sure who wears those patches. Maybe bank employees. Maybe the bank hands them out to customers for promotional reasons.

I own a Fiat automobile and I bought a Fiat patch that I affixed to a jacket I wear. Some people hate it when someone wears a logo like that. There's people that hate all sorts of things.

Freddy

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

I don't 'hate' it, I just don't understand why anyone wants to advertise someone else's products for them.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to FFH

Not a big departure from the last one IMO.

Greatz

@uu.net

I cant vote on the poll for some reason but i like the last logo

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

That's because it's a screenshot of poll from another site
--
♬ Music is life ♬