All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo

Re: So when is ultra 300 making the drop?

said by Chubbysumo:

said by SHoTTa35 :

Most servers wont let you upload at 50Mbps either. Backup places generally limit your upload to 5-10Mbps and after a while cap you at 1Mbps for longer uploads. Youtube i think is different however. Amazon S3 also might be able to handle that too.

If you are gonna say you can do multiple uploads to multiple servers at the sametime well that's how people use that fat 300Mbps pipe too, nobody expects to download at 300Mbps from CNN.com.

unless you have proof of any of this throttling, its a fallacy. I can download from most sites easily saturating my current 100mbps download, and know that many sites used to throttle uploads, but since server hosting and hosting bandwidth has gotten so cheap(I rent a seedbox with a symmetrical 100mbps connection for $18 per month, with 3TB of data in and 3TB of data out), that it is now a fallacy that servers throttle you on the upload side. have you considered that maybe its your ISP doing that? I can upload to rapidshare at 5mbps all day long, as well as Amazon hosting, and even those "backup" places(why would they slow down their services, that just sounds dumb). Do look around before you spout things that are not true.

He is talking in general. A large part of the internet you won't notice a difference because servers simply don't give you the bandwidth just because you can have it. They also pay for bandwidth. They give you want you need, nothing else.

Of course exceptions to this, newsgroups comes to mind, but in general lots of places won't care if you have 5meg or 500meg HSI.

technologiq
EU2251
join:2000-08-08
Reno, NV

technologiq

said by markopoleo See Profile
He is talking in general. A large part of the internet you won't notice a difference because servers simply don't give you the bandwidth just because you can have it. They also pay for bandwidth. They give you want you need, nothing else.

Of course exceptions to this, newsgroups comes to mind, but in general lots of places won't care if you have 5meg or 500meg HSI.

No, just no. A large part of the Internet will (depending on what kind of connection they have) give you files as fast as it can dish it out. However, those sites that see a lot of traffic will look at throttling so they aren't denying their customers the ability to access or download something. Another thing to consider is how many connections to the source are you making to download the file? If we're talking http or ftp - you're generally only making one connection and, because of that you're limiting yourself to only what that one connection can handle.

It's just like a few years ago when web browser programmers figured out that they could start using multiple connections to a web server to speed up your browser. It's the reason NNTP downloads are faster, the clients can handle multiple connections.

markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo

You plan on being the first to require a 300meg connection to view a website you make? Don't think so.